How do you make a house into a home?

mattyacht

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Thanks earllogjam,
No, the eifel tower is just artwork that I bought.
I'd love to see a pic of you smiling.
Yout so good looking!!!

Cheers,

Mattyacht

Well Earl, I'm with Princess on this.

A house is a home when you furnish it with memories of your life. Sure a designer house may be aesthetically fulfilling, but it's not a home until it becomes a welcomed part of your life.

I'm still very attached to the house I grew-up in and where my mother lives now. I'm even more attached to my grandmother's house as it has been in the family for 200 years and is filled with the furniture, clothes, and personal effects of everyone who has lived there. To me, that's a home. It's not a particularly beautiful house and I haven't lived in it for any length of time, but it is my home in the sense that is filled with things and people whom I have loved and love now. Good memories abound.

The true test, I suppose, is it where you would want to live out the rest of your life and where you would wish to die when the time comes?

arliss

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
How do you make a house into a home?

you can't according to the late Luther Vandross...A House Is Not A Home

arliss

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
That's because when you climb the stairs and turn the key, no one there is waiting for you.

And Dionne Warwick said it first my man. You know us old dogs.

Dionne who??? ohhh the Psychic friends lady...btw .... "do you know the way to San Jose"????

Osiris

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Dionne who??? ohhh the Psychic friends lady...btw .... "do you know the way to San Jose"????

I do, considering all the hi tech companies there, you can follow your famous nose.:wink:

As for the original question Earl posted.

We just moved into our dream house, nothing special, but we are doing a small koi pond, artwork all over the house, little touches. Doing different colors in the rooms (Butterflies in baby's room, sports in the boy's room). I don't know, we just do a lot of things to keep it homey.

vince

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
It's memories and the people that you associate your house with that make it into a home, the work you put into it lovingly to make it your own, the laughter and tears you fill it with, and the mark on the kitchen wall where you threw stew when you were having a hissy fit :)

I couldn't have said it better. thanks SP.

The first house my wife and I brought was a 1918 Craftsman style house in Vancouver. It was in very good structural condition but quite tatty cosmetically. We scubbed and painted inside and out, renovated the garden, installed old re-claimed red brick walks, it was beautiful. Our daughter came home to this house. I remember so many parties and celebrations at our home. We had a very big extended family of friends and neighbors and our home was always the gathering place. I think those tens years were the happiest of my life. It was a sad day when we moved from the old house. No place since has felt as much a 'home'.

Osiris

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Just add animals.

OK, so when are you moving in. Roawr! :naughty:

It's memories and the people that you associate your house with that make it into a home, the work you put into it lovingly to make it your own, the laughter and tears you fill it with, and the mark on the kitchen wall where you threw stew when you were having a hissy fit :)

Very well said. I miss my childhood home for the same reason. I also have a great affinity to the family compound in Missouri. I remember the lilac bushes I planted as a child that are now huge bushes. Roses blooming. First frost hitting the vegetable garden and going out picking greens for supper. Summers grabbing a ripe tomato off the vine and eating it with a little salt. Dad and I having jalapeño eating contests. I Miss my folks and my grandfolks.

Your home looks very stylish, kind of like a showroom at one of those design centers. :smile: Did you take that photo of the Eiffel Tower yourself?

Yeah, thanks Earl. She Who Must Be Obeyed just read over my shoulder, saw this thread and told me I am getting in the car to go to Home Depot to get a new water feature for the yard. So much for me refilling the wine fridge. :biggrin1: I hate having an acre of yard.:mad: