How Do You Really Know a Guy is Gay?

swing_low

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Could be that he's just a really nice, well-adjusted straight guy who likes you as a person. I do know, however, how tortuous situations like this can be.

Out of curiousity, what part of the country are you from, swing low?

I'm from the DC area.

swing_low

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
You may think because it is not going on at work it has nothing to do with the workplace but it depends on a number of factors. If someone is a supervisor they still hold a position of authority which also spills into their personal life if it has something to do with their employees. It seems unfair but that is how it works. Of course they may depend on where you live and the company you work for.

But back to the whole main idea: I work in management and I have been in many situations where an employee has asked me various questions about what I do for fun or am I with someone, etc. From my perspective it puts me into an awkward position and makes me feel very uncomfortable. The main reason is I separate my personal life from my business life. I would never want to be in any kind of sexual relationship with any of my staff for the simple reason of my own ethics. Your boss probably has the same kind of ethics but at the same time his dick may think for him instead which could have implications for him later.

Do yourself a favor and don't put yourself into a situation that has a potential to hurt your own career and any others around you.

Maybe you guys are right. It's beginning to seem like more trouble than it's worth. I mean, I do like the guy. But I'm not like head over heels for him. I guess I will live if I try to find someone else. And also, I have just turned 21, meaning I'm a grown man now, and I don't have time for these little kiddie games anymore... trying to guess whether or not someone likes me. I prefer to be the one chased after anyway, not the one doing the chasing. It's easy for me to say this now though, cause I have been on vacation for the last 2 weeks, and I haven't seen him all that time. I just hope I keep my word once I go back and have to see his cute face again, lol. Thanks for everyone's great advice.

crossy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Ask him if he ever had an urge to rearrange the furniture of a room he has never been in before. Ask him if he can hum the Cole Porter songbook. What does he think of Judy Garland. A positive reaction will absolutely guarantee a gay dude. Lesbians are far trickier to identify. The bulls are easier but the femmes, serious suprize. FYI female soldiers are rarely gay.
So it goes.

B_RedDude

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
D.C., huh? Then maybe you are on to something with this guy.

There sure are a lot of hot, eligible, educated guys in that area. Might even be more after January 20. I used to hang out there socially before I moved to California.

I'm from the DC area.

Last edited:

jjsjr

Legendary Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Its almost unfair to say there's one way of identification. Gay men span such a spectrum of personalities: from polite, uptight, retentive guys to brassy, bawdy, loud-mouthed guys to straight-acting, gymrats who chug beer and watch football to flaming queens who put on makeup and dance around. We are all gay.

Gaydar is an uncanny '6th sense' we have which enables us to identify and distinguish other gay men from straight men. It's really nothing you can teach, per se. So to give it an elaborate definition: It's a consciousness of certain characteristics gay men inherently have and it's the ability to be able to recognize them as they pertain to each specific person. After interacting with other gay men, you just pick it up.

A quick hint: Gay men 'sparkle.' A very large percentage of us give off an expression in our eyes that appears we are always smiling.... always smiling = happy... happy = (archaic English definition) gay!

:)

gaybriel

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Good question and im going to turn off my usual smart-ass side for a second. It is a risk proposition because of 1) the work issue as many have stated and 2) the mixed vibes. As lots of people, including myself, have pointed out..the behavior lines between straight and bi/gay are much more blurred than, say, even a decade ago. The one tell-tale behavior that I pick up on is eye contact. Even my close 'bromance' buddies will not maintain eye contact for more than ten seconds. When a dude hawks onto me and holds it...they usually play for the home team. Thats just my experience. Good luck dude, let us know where you all register :rolleyes:

Ten seconds? If I catch a lady's eye I don't even lock glances for more than a second. More than one second is suspect, more than two a pretty good bet, but watch out for the ones who think you are trying to pick a fight, or the ones who think they recognise you from somewhere.