How do you take care of your skin?

Discussion in 'Underwear, Clothing, and Appearance Issues' started by Frnkd213, Nov 6, 2011.

1. Frnkd213

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Started a thread a couple of days ago about this, however it was suggested that I pose a question to get more responses so the question is:
    How do you take care of your skin to maintain a healthy, youthful appearance? Is anti-aging a concern, dark spots, blemishes etc.

Here is the link to the original
    http://www.lpsg.org/272544-skin-care-regimine.html

2. nixonrich

nixonrich New Member

various - travelling job, London, nairobi, Asia-US
    I have met three people with really amazing skin - amazing considering their age - they were in their 50's and 60's. They all used, every day, the same thing - simple vaseline - just lightly massaged in after washing/showering. I've met dozens and dozens of others who spend on all kinds of lotions and creams but there was nothing remarkable about their skin.

3. B_Mademoiselle Rouge

Nixon, I know that's an old face moisturizing secret but a lot of people wouldn't be able to do it with the same results. It clogs pores and causes acne for the average person. It's a recipe for black heads I hate to say. Look for a product that is labeled as non-comedogenic to ensure it doesn't have petroleum-based ingredients as the moisturizer.

Mademoiselle Rouge
    Master Esthetician Extraordinaire ;)

4. ManlyBanisters

Gold Member

Stay out of the sun.

Seriously.

Don't use soap - wash with water only.

And stay out of the sun a bit more, just in case.

5. B_Hickboy

B_Hickboy New Member

See a dermatologist regularly. Annually at least, or every six months if you have skin cancer like I do.

6. B_Mademoiselle Rouge

MB, water only won't kill bacteria that causes acne. In cosmetology school, specializing in skin care, we had a special lamp called a Wood's lamp that would fluoresce different things as different colors. Nasty acne causing bacteria would glow orange on the skin of certain students and on certain materials that were not sterilized properly. Even some of the best skin washes struggle to rid the skin of this particular bacteria.

A face soap with antibacterial ingredients is the way to go. There is a really good one called PanOxl. Clearasil also has antibacterial ingredients.

I struggle with staph infections frequently due to my lowered immune system and anything that can kill staph from the skin is my preference. Areas that are shaved (like armpits and face) can be prone to minor staph infections blocking the follicle with pus otherwise known as folliculitis. The right skin wash can get rid of this and prevent it.

7. ManlyBanisters

Gold Member

I didn't see the OP asking about acne. But about keeping the skin youthful.

Anyway, acned skin is youthful. :tongue:

8. B_Mademoiselle Rouge

You are right, skin with acne can be considered youthful....not nearly as youthful as an adult with braces, but ya know. ;)

9. HiddenLacey

Gold Member

Albums:
    I stay out of the sun, when I go in it I wear a hat and try to apply sunscreen every hour. I see a dermatologist. I drink a lot of water. I actually wash my face and body with http://www.cetaphil.com/products/antibacterial-cleaning-bar/ If my skin breaks out I use Duac topical cream that my dermatologist gives me samples of. I think OTC products are pretty crappy and tend to burn my skin. Also, I don't wear face make-up. No foundation cream kind or powder kind. Honestly, I don't know how people wear it. It makes me feel as though my face is dirty.

#9 HiddenLacey, Nov 6, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 6, 2011
  10. nudeyorker

Gold Member

My skin care routine is the same as in the other thread. The only thing I could add is I have a professional facial once a year.

11. EllieP

Staff Member Moderator Gold Member

Albums:
    I think I'm doing all the wrong things according to some of the posters, but I have a rather extensive evening ritual. Ask Cap. He calls it a sex-preventative routine because he "slides off" of me. I moisturize, and there's only one thing that will keep skin moist - water. The way you keep water close to the skin is the real trick. I had an MD tell me that a petroleum product is the best thing to form a barrier to keep water in, but I'm not a fan of that.

12. B_Hickboy

B_Hickboy New Member

Partial answer.

More complete answer:
    I use either Neutrogena or Clinique For Men cleansers, and either Clinique toner or just good old witch hazel. I don't have dry skin on my face, so I can get away with products that contain alcohol. Others might not be able to. Every week or so, I use an exfoliating scrub instead of my regular cleanser. My two favorites are Clinique and Real Shaving Co., whose shaving cream works well and smells wonderful. When I shave, I use a tea tree oil - based bar soap and rub it into my beard with the hottest water I can stand, then rinse it off completely before applying shave cream. I have an extremely heavy beard, so I sometimes shave twice - first pass with a three-blade razor and second pass with a five blade job.

For the rest of my body, I use a good moisturizer. Vaseline Intensive Care works well for my legs, which get very dry and itchy in the winter but are OK most of the time during warmer months.

I cover my face and hands liberally with a high-SPF sunscreen any time I know I'm going to be outside for more than five minutes. There are tubes of the stuff in my car, near the back door, on my desk, in my briefcase, anywhere I might need some.

A final word about the sun - STAY THE FUCK OUT OF IT! My skin cancer was not caused by sun exposure, but it doesn't mean I couldn't get a sun - related cancer in addition to the one I already have. I've lost more than one person I love to malignant melanoma. I have to join them one day, but will go to great lengths to avoid having to go through what they went through before they died.

Draft saved Draft deleted