How does the recession affect you?

eddyabs

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I was wondering. This is the worst recession in my lifetime, and my parents lifetime. We own a Pub, with our own brewery. 2 years ago 42 pubs a week were closing in England, this year 54 pubs a week are closing. Our turnover is down now by over 50%, we've had to make major cutbacks on staff, and had to change our premium suppliers. We've had to change our menu to basic food items (such as cottage pie and chilli con carne) as premium meals such as our steaks, confit of duck, and fish are just not selling.

In the meantime, at budget time, the government feels it's appropriate to keep raising the duty on alcohol, and makes no concessions for small businesses with business tax.

It's like a morgue in the week. Very depressing, and a real headache. Even where we are situated, which is in probably the most wealthy area of England, we've had two beautiful country pubs close down in the last 3 months.

If we can survive this, at least we have less competition.

Is anyone else having difficulties? And adversely, is anyone thriving?

B_cigarbabe

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
Not here in "Taxachusetts"!
Eddy I hope your business will do as well as it is even with all the cutbacks your family has continued to make
and the increased taxes you are being forced to pay.
It really is a shame that that the middle and poorer classes are continually being bombarded with taxes and having services cut to support everyone else.
Why take services from those who need them the most?
Here in Ma. we steal from the elderly,disabled and the retarded instead of taxing those who can most afford it.
Yeah it stinks all over for the poor and middle class.:confused:
C.B.:saevil:

Last edited:

blg3floor3

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Yeah, I have a piece of shit hole in the wall job that doesn't pay shit, instead of a real one. Can't pay my student loans back, renting a room in some dude's house, can't fix my car. And I spend over a year trying to get even THAT. Getting a job wasn't such a huge problem 8-10 years ago. Especially not for a student or fresh graduate.

eddyabs

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Yeah, I have a piece of shit hole in the wall job that doesn't pay shit, instead of a real one. Can't pay my student loans back, renting a room in some dude's house, can't fix my car. And I spend over a year trying to get even THAT. Getting a job wasn't such a huge problem 8-10 years ago. Especially not for a student or fresh graduate.

I hear you man, and am sorry that you are struggling. This is now officially in England the longest recession we have encountered, and there is no sign of a light as yet. In the meantime the banks keep on paying their hugely inflated bonuses.....and inflation is on the rise, petrol cost are on the up (again) and show no sign of abatement. Sucks not having a car man, but almost sucks as much having one, what with the insurance, fuel costs, tax etc.....I hope you fall into some good luck soon.

Workers are cheaper than ever.

I hear you Vince, but the problem for us (and many others) is there just isn't the work to offer! We have cut back 50% of our staff, and are trying desperately to keep the ship afloat with a skeleton crew.

Last edited:

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Eddy I'm so sorry about the pub and the stress that it causes for you and big3floor3 and all the others who are struggling to make ends meet right now. I feel guilty admitting I'm having a banner year.

Rikter8

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
MI is one of the hardest hit states in the U.S. due to its large involvement with the auto market. Our unemployment rates are sky high, and people simply are not buying.

Spring 2009 auto swap festivals - dead
Summer - Dead
Fall - even worse
Garage sales - busy, but people only buying small ticket items, 1-2 dollar things.

The only people buying the high dollar items are the ones that are either careless with their money, or wealthy.

It affects me directly as:
1. I cannot get hired on full time since companies refuse to hire
2. I cannot sell my items for extra cash since no one is buying
3. People are not willing to pay already dirt cheap prices for PC repair
4. Like the rest of the state, I can't sell my house even if I wanted to for what its worth (Not even SEV).

The US moved from producers to consumers. When you don't produce anything and all you do is consume... it catches up with you. Welcome to catch up.
I don't see this turning around anytime soon.

What saddens me the most is that I will go into the grocery store this thanksgiving for food items, and I'll see people carting out 2 and 3 LCD TV's....300-400 a pop with smiles.
I'm buying eggs and milk so we can eat for another week.

I think - Isn't anybody listening?? Doesn't anybody Care??
Apparently I'm missing something.

Drifterwood

Superior Member
Media
Hi Eddy, it's a real pisser when good businesses start to burn. I think you have the right attitude; if you can survive, you will thrive. The only thing I would say is that there is a point where it makes more sense to get out and leave with something, than hang on and leave with nothing. I.e. live to fight another day.

If I can be nosey, how much of your turnover was on cards through the high times? and have you seen a change in that ratio?

D_Gunther Snotpole

Account Disabled
Media
Eddy, I wish you well during this difficult time.
You're captive of forces that have absolutely nothing to do with you.
It must be terrible feeling that a family business that has often prospered is now teetering on failure.
Anyway, stiff upper lip, old boy. I think you'll get through this.
Keep us posted.

eddyabs

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
. I feel guilty admitting I'm having a banner year.

It's always good to hear that someone is having good news NY, don't feel guilty mate.......It's all the royalties you're earning from that Village People video ennit!!

Isn't anybody listening?? Doesn't anybody Care??
Apparently I'm missing something.

Rikter, I know how you feel, in my mind the government here is too busy weaning and noisily sucking off the fat cats who make huge donations so that they can influence policy and make life even more affluent for themselves. I care man, and I know lots of others do, even those who are ship afloat.

If I can be nosey, how much of your turnover was on cards through the high times? and have you seen a change in that ratio?

Hey Drifter, no problem with you being nosey mate, we were turning over between £7000 and £8000 p/week. Now we are lucky to turn over £3500 p/week.

I've had to cut down on Rentboys. Now I only treat myself on my Birthday ;-)

I've had to become a rentboy.....I offer competitive rates if you're interested!!!

Anyway, stiff upper lip, old boy. I think you'll get through this.
Keep us posted.

Thanks Rubi, and don't worry, the stiff upper lip (as you know) is inherent and branded into my genes.

It's had no direct affect on me (us).

Hey Stronzo, again, it's good to hear that some of us are riding this out comfortably. Glad to hear it.

whatireallywant

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I was struggling even a bit before the recession hit, which makes things even worse now. I was laid off my steady job 4 years ago, and haven't had a steady job since - I had two jobs in my chosen field, but I did not meet the skill level they required, and I've run into that all the time in my chosen field (they are not hiring entry level or even mid level people, only super-experts... I'm actually a sort of low-mid-level person in that field, not entry level, but of course I'd take an entry level job in that field if it was offered to me! I've had to switch gears from software to hardware because there do appear to be some entry level job offerings in tech support). I've worked a lot of temp jobs not in my field, too.

I have also gone from solidly middle class, to having to have help from my dad each month to pay the bills (fortunately, I have a dad who is willing to do this - partly because when I am able to pay my own bills, I do so, and I work when I can, and look for work when I'm not working), and even having to use credit cards to pay the rent and utilities, which of course makes the credit card bills go way up and I may not be able to pay those! I'm also having to consider having a roommate, which for a shy person like me for whom home is my refuge from people, is not a fun thing to consider...

cdarro

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
It has not affected me personally at all, except that my mutuals initially lost about 20% of their value (which they have now recovered). Southern Alberta, where I live, has really been little if at all hit, though central and northern parts of the province, which depend more on the oil and gas industry have been affected. But here? Construction is still humming right along and there doesn't seem to be any discernible increase in business failures. TSX is back on an upward course. No one I've talked to is suffering overmuch.

B_Marius567

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
recession? What recession?

there is no
recession!!!!!!

I have plainly of money in savings and my 401k is 7% bigger this year.

i am slammed with orders and working lots of overtime at the factory I work at.
I do not know what you are talking about!!!

times are good now I been eating out a lot and going to bars and having a good time.

:fest30:

D_Ivana Dickenside

Sexy Member
Media
let's see...
  • i was laid off in april.
  • california is in a budget crisis and no one is hiring.
  • i am barely getting by with unemployment assitance, which is only 20% of what i was earning when i worked full time.
  • the people i deal with from the unemployment are idiots and have "lost my paperwork" and closed my claim numerous times without my consent.
  • i can only pay the minimum balance on my bills and often use credit cards to pay off other credit cards and bills.
  • this is the first month i've paid all my bills before they were due, without having to use a credit card to pay for other bills.
  • the price of gas in california has dropped but remains more expensive than other states. i don't drive anywhere unless i absolutely have to.
  • i've only traveled twice to see my S.O. since i lost my job, only because he covered the expenses.
  • my job loss has greatly impacted my mental and physical health.
  • i didn't get my period for 4.5 months due to anxiety and stress.
  • i put on weight and have been struggling to shed the pounds.
i'm looking forward to 2010 for a fresh start, and i'm sooo ready to leave 2009 behind.