How does your man dress? Is mine weird?

Discussion in 'Women's Issues' started by MissBadaBing, Apr 23, 2009.

1. MissBadaBing

MissBadaBing New Member

This is my first thread!!

I am going to vent a little.

I have been with boyfriend for a little over a year and I am crazy about him, but there is one thing about him I don't get. He wears the same thing everyday. As long as I have known him he has worn a black t-shirt, dark blue jeans and black leather loafers, which he calls "the uniform". He probably has 50 black shirts and pairs of similar jeans in his closet. If it's cold he wears a black sweater over his t-shirt, if it's really cold he adds a black jacket. When we go out he wears one of his many black suits. He has a lot of clothes but they all look pretty much the same. When I asked him about it he said black was his favorite color so he just buys that color any time he needs something, it "makes his life easier". Is that weird? He always looks nice, but he never looks different. I don't want him to dress flashy, but a little color and variety wouldn't hurt.

What do you think ladies? How does your man dress? Do you help pick out his clothes?

2. Ed69

Gold Member

"but a little color and variety wouldn't hurt."

And I have to ask why?Why do you feel the need to change the man you fell in love with?

3. scottbud

scottbud Active Member

Albums:
    Most straight guys (gross generalisation here folks) are lazy when it comes to clothes shopping, do it for him and he will wear what ever you buy him.

4. ManlyBanisters

Gold Member

I don't think that is too weird.

Sometimes people, men and women, are scared to change their appearance, they find something that works and stick with it. This is just a slightly more extreme case. You can talk to him about it and maybe go shopping with him and see if he's ok with trying, but not necessarily buying, a few different things. But he may not be. I think you'd be better off respecting that and let him deal with this in his own good time. He does look good in what he does wear, right? He's not embarrassing either of you, nor hurting you?

My man wears a variety of colours and has a good eye for what looks good on him but the most important thing to me is that he is comfortable and happy with what he's wearing.

5. Principessa

Gold Member

6. B_Think_Kink

B_Think_Kink New Member

My "guy" dresses in many colours, looks good and I love going out with him. He is super hot and well dressed for his age. Orange is his favorite colour and he dresses in it frequently.

7. StraightCock4Her

StraightCock4Her New Member

I can see where this guy is coming from, he might be a lot OCD so updating his wardrobe may not be an option. However, I was a little like him and still am. I wear all black when I'm at home because I like the color and buy it for undershirts and shorts.

However, for work attire and suits and going out clothes, I generally rainbow it up now. Although years ago I would do the same as I did with my home clothes. Kept it simple and black because I just thought throwing in random colors makes it all too complicated and I hated to coordinate.

Now, I throw in WHOLE COLOR dress shirts with black pants and black shoes/black belt and it just all comes together nicely and I get compliments on my peach/orange shirts, bright blue shirts and what-not.

If I were you, I would start him off by getting him a dress shirt that can go with all black. Bright blue works really well. Maybe a nice dark/bright grey dress shirt. These will open his eyes to new variations on this style. I almost guarentee it. Make sure the gift is for a real celebration, like his birthday. And buy him a gift card to a place he normally wouldn't shop (that doesn't have all black shit that he would wear) this way he is put to a quandry and has to adapt to the new store a little bit, at least.

8. MissBadaBing

MissBadaBing New Member

Thank you for your answers to my first thread, this is fun.

To answer some of the questions that were asked:

He was born and raised in California, he has lived in five different cities over the years and travels a lot, but has always lived in California.

He always looks very nice, he is not embarrassing at all. All of his clothes are beautiful, all designer and tailored, just always black. He dresses better than most of the guys I know, just with no variation.

There is a very good chance that he has some type of OCD thing, it's not just his clothes, every piece of furniture he owns is black, both of his cars are all black, and both his cars and home are always spotless.

He is a great guy, and none of this really bothers me THAT much, I just think it is a little weird and wanted to get some opinions from people that don't know him and are just hearing about the situation.

Thanks again.

9. D_Ivana Dickenside

D_Ivana Dickenside New Member

your man is definitely a creature of habit. it's what he's comfortable with so he sticks to it. however, i don't think there's anything wrong if you want to switch up his wardrobe a little bit. he probably hates shopping, hence the 50 black shirts and same jeans. next time you're out shopping for yourself, pick up something you would like him to wear instead of the same ol' "uniform." i'm sure he will appreciate the gesture and wear the clothes you picked out for him.

10. dickman45885

dickman45885 New Member

Albums:
    I too have a uniform.....in the cold weather it is 501's and Aloha shirts. In the warm weather cargo shorts and Aloha shirts. I really do not care about the color of the shorts...comfort rules, and besides Aloha shirts go with any color.

11. D_Cock_Hudson

D_Cock_Hudson New Member

I've met a number of men with the same clothes style all the time. He's not unusual, though I believe in variety.

12. D_Jurgen Klitgaard

D_Jurgen Klitgaard Account Disabled

I wear a fair ammount of black because it's classic and I think I look good in it. But, I'm no stranger to a little color. For instance, I bought a red tshirt today. I also like blue, green, brown, white, etc. I also like to change up my styles depending on my mood, so I'm not married to one look.

13. Drifterwood

Gold Member

14. Closet Donkey

Closet Donkey New Member

I used to be just like your boyfriend. Even now virtually all my t-shirts are black, or dark grey.

15. hung_proper1978

Albums:
    I wear either black or blue. Dress shirts, pants, ties etc etc. Black or blue. BUT I do know NOT to wear black AND blue together. Took awhile but I finally figured it out.

#15 hung_proper1978, Apr 26, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2009
  16. DoctorZZZ

DoctorZZZ Member

I wear a t shirt nearly every day. Just a different color. I have probably every color they make. I just grab the one I feel like that day. If its hot shorts, not jeans. I dont feel the need to vary it up at all, who cares really.

17. B_horribleperson

B_horribleperson New Member

did you try buying him something that has color??

18. javyn

javyn New Member

Albums:
    I'll give the typical female response to men who ask these kinds of questions:

"What?! It's what's on the inside that counts! Don't you love/respect him for how he is rather than how he looks?"

19. B_Mademoiselle Rouge

I am learning to bring color into my wardrobe. Im not a fashionista. When i got shopping i have to work VERY hard not to come home with 13 white shirts.

20. MissBadaBing

MissBadaBing New Member

I do love him for who he is. He is a great guy. I was just wondering if this was a normal thing or if it was something odd that he does. He is the first guy that I have ever dated that wears the same thing everyday, I was curious if other guys did this. I don't want to change him, it is just the one thing about him that I don't understand, I have never tried to buy him anything that had color, I just wanted the opinion of you fine people. That is why I joined an online forum.

Draft saved Draft deleted