How far behind the times am I?

SteveHd

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
My VCR is still connected but I haven't recorded to it since I got a DVR cablebox about two years ago. I recall playing a prerecorded tape about a year ago.

I also have an LP player and a laserdisc player; both of which haven't been used in over 8 years. I discarded my double-deck cassette about 2 years ago.

B_ScaredLittleBoy

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Here we say:

I'm gonna watch a video/
Put a video on
Bang a video on

But we don't have a VCR anymore. Think I threw my old one out cos it started chewing tapes up. I used to have a lot of Quantum Leap episodes on video too :(

Now I have them on DVD though :smile:

Also the UK is going digital and when it does you'll have to scrap your video player. Since they can only record on the channel you're watching or something (when its digital). A DVD recorder or whatever they're called costs £150. The digital TV adapter costs £34 per TV.

I'm waiting til the last minute to 'go digital'

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Recently, I tried to purchase a turntable. Had to get it off eBay, since the request for them has dwindled. I'm transfering the vinyl to CD and then putting them on my iPod. How are you transferring the records to CD? I looked at some of the devices that do this about a year ago but they were quite expensive and didn't always produce good sound quality. Some albums have not been re-issued anywhere.
Doesn't that just suck! Led Zeppelin has finally released some of there stuff digitally.

A lot of my grandsons movies are on VHS that we purchased for my kids when they were young. We still have them.

We still have all the Disney movies up toThe Little Mermaid on VHS in a box someplace.

agnslz

Loved Member
Media

Also the UK is going digital and when it does you'll have to scrap your video player. Since they can only record on the channel you're watching or something (when its digital). A DVD recorder or whatever they're called costs £150. The digital TV adapter costs £34 per TV.

The United States is going digital in January of 2009. My mom and step-dad are one of those few million households in the U.S. who don't have cable or satellite and receive only the over-the-air television signals. I keep having to tell my mom to wait until that time to buy a new TV for their living room (as she's been wanting) or to get one that receives both signals. I also told her that she's going to have shell out around $60 dollars each when the time comes to buy converters for the other two TVs in her house. She had no idea the last time I told her (a couple of weeks ago) what was getting ready to happen. Even though I've told her a million times since it was originally supposed to happen a few years ago.:rolleyes::biggrin:

Aitch

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Here we say:

I'm gonna watch a video/
Put a video on
Bang a video on

But we don't have a VCR anymore. Think I threw my old one out cos it started chewing tapes up. I used to have a lot of Quantum Leap episodes on video too :(

Now I have them on DVD though :smile:

Bugger! I didnt know that...:mad:

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I also have a VHS recorder hooked up, and I use it on some occasions. About the only use it gets is recording something that I want to see, if it comes on after my "bedtime."

Otherwise, I much prefer DVD.

(It makes me chuckle a bit, though, when I hear people say things like "it's not on video, it's on DVD..." Even though DVD is also video, some people think video only refers to "videocassette.")

Yorkie

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I always shock people that not only do I have a land line phone, I also only use my cell phone if I absolutely have to. Prior to having this phone, I hadn't had a cell phone in a couple years.
I've never had a cell phone and don't particularly want one.Sometimes I like to be unavailable... :tongue:
I have dozens of VHS tapes which I keep planning to edit and transfer to DVD but I probably never will,so the video recorder remains connected to the tv but rarely used.I also have a Sony multi-region DVD player and a Philips DVD recorder.The recorder can't be hacked to play region 1 discs so I bought the Sony player at a reasonable price.

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I haven't owned or used a VCR for close to 10 years. I also stream media from a central storage to various locations as needed but I tend to use a DVD in the home cinema (in the loft space), it simply presents a higher quality image IMO.

ClaireTalon

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I haven't owned or used a VCR for close to 10 years. I also stream media from a central storage to various locations as needed but I tend to use a DVD in the home cinema (in the loft space), it simply presents a higher quality image IMO.

The difference is absolutely overrated, IMO. As I've said, I have cassettes as old as 12 years which still show perfect quality images and sounds, absolutely no problems there. It has also never occurred to me that I had to throw a cassette away because it was starting to fail in any way.

Storing movies digitally, on hard discs or other memory media of that kind, would make sense if you are interested in owning a lot, which is a rational and understandable argument. But please indulge in my little emotional side which says that tapes and films are the media to use for something like a motion picture. On that level, it has to do less with technology and its possibilities, more with the soul of things. Irrational, I know, but that's how I see it.

invisibleman

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
If anyone messes wif my Swanson's HUNGRYMAN Fried Chick'n dinna wif my burned up chocolate cake cookie and mashed (still frozen a liddle bit) potatoes...you are in serious trouble. Canady Dry's PURPLE PASSION soda...Yum. (This was what I ate for brunch when I was a kiddie while watching Saturday morning cartoons.)

earllogjam

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Tivo. I suspect that DVD players are going the way of the VCR soon as most movies and TV programs will be accessed via the internet. So don't bother getting one Meg. Hell, if you lasted this long without a DVD player what is another 10 years?

I have a DVD player and I enjoy watching the director's cut and commentary, special features and the occassional blooper cuts that get included in DVD packaged movies. The DVD has better freeze frame, FF, RR functions which I use to full advantage but I don't watch much TV and I prefer going out to the movies so the DVD doesn't see much action.

Ethyl

Legendary Member
Media
Philadelphia (Pennsylvania, United States)
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
If anyone messes wif my Swanson's HUNGRYMAN Fried Chick'n dinna wif my burned up chocolate cake cookie and mashed (still frozen a liddle bit) potatoes...you are in serious trouble. Canady Dry's PURPLE PASSION soda...Yum. (This was what I ate for brunch when I was a kiddie while watching Saturday morning cartoons.)

I though the fried chicken dinner had apple pie? Or was that salisbury steak?

Saturday morning cartoons. Bugs Bunny, Superfriends, Land of the Lost, Rocky and Bullwinkle...wolfing down Lucky Charms, Frankenberry or something sugary enough to put me in a diabetic coma...good times. :biggrin1: