How has your life been affected?

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by Imported, Jul 16, 2005.

1. Imported

Gold Member

hondo62: I have read with great interest previous posts about the current administration, and how our rights are being diminished and the beliefs of a few are being forced upon the populace.

I would like to know from anyone out there, what, if any, legislation that has been signed into law has affected you on a personal level.

For example, don't just say the Patriot Act, but what part of the Patriot Act was enforced upon you. Was your library record checked on by the FBI? Have you been detained as an enemy combatant?

How has your day to day life been changed by the current administration, what is different now than 5 years ago?

Just curious.

2. jonb

Gold Member

Me, personally? Well, let's see:

Bush's pro-oil policies have repeatedly hit me in my wallet. His attempted coup on Venezuela would've eliminated my personal choice, Citgo.
    Speaking of oil, I have family in Iraq. Well, I do now. I didn't before that voice in Bush's head told him to attack Iraq.
    Clean Air Act is a tragedy of the commons.
    Ditto for his "anti-spam" legislation.
    And "abstinence-only" education.
    And attempts to get rid of mandatory vaccines.
    You can't know if the Patriot Act has affected you personally until you go to Gitmo.
    I now pay higher taxes than I would've under Clinton.
    Since I live in California, I'm more at risk for a terrorist attack than under Clinton. I should be happy Nebraska's safe, though.

Not that it matters. Even if he didn't affect me personally, that still leaves millions of people he's negatively impacted.

3. Dr Rock

Gold Member

who lives in the east 'neath the willow tree? Sex
    you mean apart from the INS (as was) hunting me down and throwing me out of the country? oh, nothing much, thanks.

4. dcwrestlefan

Gold Member

Good ones Jon. Yeh, I wouldn't mind $3 a gallon gas so much if alternatives were being developed that weren't so destructive to the environment. Dubya has to pay his friends back somehow I guess.

Here are some others that affect me personally, indirectly or directly.

1) Shrub wants to codify in the Constitution that I cannot marry another man if I want to someday.

2) We now have to be concerned about what sort of religious nuts President Moron is going to appoint to the Supreme Court. I'm pro-choice, and am pretty much resigned to the fact that legal abortions are going away. It does not affect me personally, but it does affect my female friends. Look also for forced prayer in public schools to make a comeback. They already do this across parts of the South.

3) I get frisked/wanded more often without "probable cause" at airports. (the guy with Southwest at BWI a few months ago was pretty hot though...haha)

4) Didja hear about the kid in Tennessee who was put in jail for flag burning last week? Welcome to the Union of the Soviet United States. No, it did not affect me personally but it sure makes less comfortable living here. What sort of protest will be outlawed next?

5) Bush's deficit spending is making my civilian federal job more difficult, and ultiimately costing you services and money.

6) Halliburton/non-competitive government contracts cost us all money.

7) If I, or someone I love, gets ill and could be helped through stem cell research, to hell with them. Shrub does not want it.

8) I cannot take a leak 30 minutes before landing or after taking off from DCA. ;)

5. Rikter8

Gold Member

Albums:
    The current administration has devistated my family.

Mister Piece of Shit Bush had signed a bill not allowing Medical Malpractice lawsuits against doctors who screw up badly, capping the amount to $20K

So, when my dad was Mis-diagnosed for a chest cold, for nearly 8 months... and his doctor refused to give my family any records.... the Bush Plan protected him.

My dad died of Cancer, and it could have been caught at a minimum of a year before, but because the Laws protect the doctors, there's absolutely nothing you can do.

Same thing with hospitals, etc. If they screw up, and you die, theres NOTHING your family can do for you.
    Think im Kidding?? Ask any attorney.

So now i'm left picking up the pieces, and trying to support the remainder of my family, and myself at a young age.
    My youth is gone. It has been taken away from me.

What about the devistating gas prices?
    He doesn't seem to care, He's on vacation here and there.
    Meanwhile, americans are struggling to support their families.

War on Iraq. You mean..the Hunt for Oil, and Daddy Retaliation.
    How many of our boys must die for this pig?
    THe middle east has been Fighting religion for THOUSANDS OF YEARS.
    Baby bush is NOT GOD, and hes NOT going to change it.

I pulled my 401K funds out in Feb, but it was too late...I had already lost a considerable amount, as the Market continued to plummit under his administration.

The Bankruptcy laws - Do you see any big corporate exec's in Jail for stealing funds? Nope, you won't because theyre also protected by the Bush plan.

The Gay issue - He stands against gay american workers, and any choices they try to make, to better themselves, and their families.
    It makes no sense.

I have absolutely no use for him whatsoever, nor his brother in FL.
    #1 insurance fraud location is Florida, for Govenor Jeb Bush.
    What a coincidence.

America better stand up soon, otherwise we'll be the third world country.

6. SomeGuyOverThere

Gold Member

It has given me more oppertunities to critisize America. I am forever thankfull. I can slag off an entire nation - and people will agree with me.

Classic.

7. citygirl

citygirl Member

Albums:
    I was born and raised in the USA, and I love this country and what it stands for and could not think of another country I would rather live in. But Bush has really screwed up this country and its relations with other countries. Are we safer than we were before 9/11? Not really, he's made it worse by invading Iraq. And you figure after controlling the oil in Iraq, gas prices would be more reasonable. Nope.

The middle class is what makes this country run: the taxes we pay are used to help the poor while the rich get all the tax breaks. The poor get all the free or reduced medical care, tax breaks, welfare, food stamps, etc. What does the middle class get when we need help? 6 months unemployment, that's it. No medical insurance, no help with paying your mortgage, no help with making ends meet. When you look at other countries, they may not be the superpower that the US is but they really take care of their citizens. No one starves or lives without medical insurance or lives on the street when they can't make ends meet.

And I won't even get into all the white collar jobs that are being outsourced to Bangalore India and China. The US is losing its technical edge / infrastructure by letting these jobs go overseas. At the rate we're going China will soon be the technical powerhouse/leader of the world. :(

Sorry to rant, I have alot of close friends and family who are affected by these very things. I miss the Clinton years, he might have been a pig but he knew how to run a country.

8. blackwood

blackwood New Member

hondo62

I have read all posts to this date and time.

Fear to post any derogotary remarks regarding the corrent administration and fear that some word or some statement even now and here, could get me arrested and ruined.

At behest of the administration the Director of the Federal Bureau of Prisons is g cutting by about 20% in staffing and $$$$$$$$$ leading to the significant risk of murderous riots in our nations" containment system. (*Internal Protection)

and my retirement program is shrinking while my costs are going up.

At least here there is an understanding of our combined losses since 5 years ago.

blackwood

9. jonb

Gold Member

The poor don't even really get free or reduced medical care.

10. jay_too

jay_too New Member

As long as Jose Padilla is imprisoned without due process, I personally feel threatened. I have comtempt for anyone who would return us to the good 'ole days of star chamber.

jay

11. SpeedoGuy

Gold Member

Albums:
    So true.

Its long past time for the Bush Administration to do something with Padilla. This American citizen has been held incommunicado in a military brig since 2002. No charges. No lawyer. No trial. Just jail. His indefinite incarceration is making a mockery of the fifth amendment.

One is forced to wonder where are the watchdogs who were so fond of wailing about Justice Department excesses during the Janet Reno years. They've gone strangely silent now.

SG

12. jonb

Gold Member

And what's wrong with banning (say) cop killer bullets?

13. jonb

Gold Member

Except that there *is* such a gap. Unless you have an H-bomb out back.

14. madame_zora

Gold Member

Yeah, the media is known to sensationalise everything, unfortunately stupid people are unaware of this. I get so frustrated by hearing people say "It's true- I heard it on the news!" as if that proves it beyond a shadow of a doubt.

Personally, I get just as frustrated with gun-toting rednecks who refuse to read the whole sentence (it's only a goddamned sentence, after all) "The right to bear arms IN ORDER TO FORM A STATE MILITIA! Not just for funzie-wunzies, folks. We DO NOT have the right to bear arms to shoot our neighbors at will, to kill police, to settle personal grudges. ONLY if our country needs our help, and this law was written at a time when our national army might need assistance of state militias were we called into war. This is no longer the case, so the point is moot. There is no legal justification for a private citizen to own a machine gun, cop-killer bullets, or a nuke! Hunting rifles FOR HUNTING GAME are legal everywhere, and handguns aplenty are readily available at Walmart if you feel the need for personal protection. Anything beyond that falls into the category of wacky.

15. Dr Rock

Gold Member

who lives in the east 'neath the willow tree? Sex

where did you get that idea? government is always tyranny, and they impose that tyranny by having more and better "weapons" (military, economic and social) than their subjects. as jonb points out, the government always reserves the most effective weapons for itself - how long do you reckon you'd last against the US Army, or even the friggin COPS, with your AR-15 and a couple of .45s? I'd have thought someone like you would know all about Waco and other historic examples of the same thing.

<!--QuoteBegin-ChimeraTX
    @Jul 23 2005, 02:08 AM
    My friend actually intends to build a nuke.
    [post=330837]Quoted post[/post]​
    [/quote]
    yeah well, we already know you&#39;re a teenager living in texas, so that&#39;s pretty much a given.

16. Dr Rock

Gold Member

who lives in the east &#039;neath the willow tree? Sex
    I would rather have them, than not.
    [post=331103]Quoted post[/post]​
    [/b][/quote]
    it&#39;s still nothing but cosmetics while the government exists. I own sufficient "illegal" firearms to guarantee myself an automatic 10-year sentence if I was ever caught with them, but I don&#39;t pretend like they&#39;d keep me alive more than 15 seconds longer if the government wanted to rub me out.

17. madame_zora

Gold Member

Chimera, I know you know what a militia is and what it&#39;s for, don&#39;t be willfully stupid, please. It said "In order to FORM a state militia", thus meaning an organized group that can be called on to assist the goverment in times of war. Now, I don&#39;t contend that weapons were not expected to be held by citizens, but let&#39;s not just outright lie about what the constitution states, and for what purpose.

18. madame_zora

Gold Member

Okay, Chimera, I had the order of the verbage reversed, but you cannot deny that the purpose stated therein is in fact to form a militia, semantical argument aside. What do you suppose a "well regulated militia" is? You and your pals owning bombs? Are YOU ensuring a free state? Um, no. Please show me where it says you can have any weapon you want for fun. The purpose for which this right was protected is clear. That&#39;s what I mean by being willfully stupid, but thanks for printing it, I admit it has been a few years since I read it. I did take the time to google it and read the whole thing (up to the 10th), so it was a useful conversation.

19. jay_too

jay_too New Member

20. jay_too

jay_too New Member

Chimera..

I believe that all rights should be taken as literally as possible. If they are given to interpretation, there is only the possibility that I will lose some of my rights.

Do you support the rights mentioned in the Declaration of Independence or only those in the U.S. Constitution and the quagmire that has been adopted as a constitution by Texas?

I assume that you intend to convey in the current post that you are a strict constructionist. Earlier you quoted the acerbic Menchen and Karl Marx&#39;s mentor Engles on tyranny. Neither was involved in Constitutional debates of 1787.

Maybe you should google Madonna for a snippet to support your viewpoints. She is often quotable.

jay

Draft saved Draft deleted