how important is religion?

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by Kassokilleri2ff, Apr 15, 2007.

1. Kassokilleri2ff

OK, so im from new jersey, joined the airforce and they stationed me in texas. A big ass town, not quite a city, altho some do say its a city, but compared to jersey i just thinks its a big city. Anyways, this town, had the most churches per square mile in america. People here are very religious, they even have christian stores out the ass, wich is very wierd to me.
    What sucks, is that im athiest. I dont believe in god. I also would like very much to find a girlfriend. But in a town like this, it seems very hard. I have actually met people who think im evil and would rather not speak to me, because im athiest lol. I met one girl i liked alot, but she wouldnt date me because i was athiest, but her case is a little different because she was looking for marriage, and we would definatly not mix on that, so i understand that (she actually has gotten married since then lol, thats how i knew she was realy looking for marriage)

Im 21. Im just looking for sombody to have some fun with, maybe a serious relationship, and i certainly hope that not all girls my age are looking for marriage, but what about just looking for a gf/bf type thing? Will women not date men of a different belief? From the reaction of people not wanting to talk to me solely because im athiest, i can see that it will be even harder to find a girlfriend. What do you ladies think? and what do you think i should do? There are some dance clubs here, kinda small not too great, but people tell me thats a terrible place to meet women. What do you gals think? Other than clubs, theres...uhhh like 4 colleges here. 2 of which are christian colleges. I plan on taking some classes at one of the non christian ones lol, i figure ill further my education and maybe meet a nice girl too. Who knows.

So yea, basicly, what are your opinions on dating someone of different belief, and what do you all think i should do?

Oh, one more thing, since i know there are assloads of trolls here, who will say "maybe your a terrible person and thats why people dont want to talk to you" Well ill shoot down that troll now, because i have tons of friends back home and everybody seems to love me. As for here in texas i only konw people i work with, and a whole bunch of religious people i met through friends at work, and those religious people are the ones hatin on me :( lol.

2. JustAsking

Gold Member

Kass,
    I understand where you are coming from. I was born and raised in Southern New England. As in most places in New England, people are pretty much laissez faire about each other's religion. New Englanders think that religion is a personal and private thing. So even if someone is religious, they might not have a problem with a deep relationship with someone who is an atheist or from a totally different religion.

Texas, on the other hand, and any other place where there are fundamentalists in the majority, is a place where religion is neither personal nor private. They have a deep need to either make you one of them, or avoid you completely.

I came to Ohio about 10 years ago, to an area that is on the edge of the Bible belt. The difference between here and New England is like night and day when it comes to how religion is incorporated into every aspect of daily life. From this experience I can easily understand your complaint.

Your idea about taking classes in one of the non-Christian colleges is probably as good as any other good advice you might get here. That would have been my first suggestion if you had not mentioned it. You should be able to find atheist, agnostic, and progressive religious women there who have a very broad outlook on their beliefs and the beliefs of others.

If you think back to your NJ days, you can probably remember quite a few marriages of mixed religion. So don't think it is not possible in the more progressive areas like a non-fundamentalist college campus.

Good luck Kass.

Later edit: Oh, sorry. I see this is posted in the women's section. I didn't mean to hijack your thread.

3. D_Kay_Sarah_Sarah

D_Kay_Sarah_Sarah Account Disabled

It is easy to say love has no boundries but of course it does.

I dont consider myself athiest because i do have my own beliefe system (karma, fate etc) and i never have or never will attend church. And if a partner made me feel evil, wrong or guilty for not attending church them i would very quickly grow to resent them for that judgement.

As for what should you do? well that depends, you have to decide on how far you are willing to let your own beliefes or non belief slide in order to make someobody else happy.

4. the_reverend

Gold Member

well, as a native Texan, i'm curious about exactly what town you're in. Texas is a huge place with diverse cultures in different areas of it. some more conservative and fundamentalist, others more liberal and accepting. so you might not be able to find what you're looking for where you are currently, but if you're in driving distance of a more open city you might have more luck. so what part of Texas are you in exactly? maybe i can help. :p

5. Kassokilleri2ff

Im in abilene texas. Its kind of an out of the way, stuck in the middle of nowhere city. The closest big cities are at least 3 hours drive away, and the surrounding towns are way more "country" and more scarce of people and more populated by cows lol.

6. the_reverend

Gold Member

Ah, Abilene. yeah, you're kind of screwed. lol. go visit Austin if you get a chance. change your whole perception of Texas. :)

7. Kassokilleri2ff

lol yea ill take a trip down there eventually.

8. vibratingfinger

vibratingfinger New Member

the good news for you is that, when you have a big cock you can always whip it out and say worship this. most people would readily convert especially in texas given their predisposition for bigger things.

9. Kassokilleri2ff

Rofl, whip out my "BIG TEXAS PENIS! its always better in texas!" rofl. maybe ill use that as a pickup line keke.

10. Girth girl

Girth girl New Member

[FONT=&quot]I’m an atheist, and for someone to be my close friend it is important that they share the same outlook… i.e. valuing rationality over superstition. [/FONT]

11. Blocko

Blocko Member

I agree with this to an extent... I would say that critical thinking is all I require... I'd rather critical thought with differeng beliefs than the same beliefs with dogmatic adherence.

12. the_reverend

Gold Member

as long as they've got an open mind, i don't particularly care what their religion or lack thereof may be. i've had friends and girlfriends of different denominations and religions, some agnostic. i like for a girl to have some kind of spirituality, but it doesn't have to perfectly match up with my own. that would just be silly. ;)

13. B_NineInchCock_160IQ

If someone is devout in their beliefs and those beliefs include the idea that they should not have sex outside of marriage, that they ought to form a partnership with someone in order to together raise god-fearing children, and that in general they should attempt to avoid temptation and consorting with those that don't share their beliefs... then no.... they aren't going to be dating outside of their faith.

On the other hand, there are many many many people who are religious in name only. Particularly if they were just brought up that way. The catholic school girl that is really just a dirty little slut inside is so prevalent it has become a stereotype. With a town that is so universally Christian, the norm might be for girls there to not want to date non-Christians because they are not used to anyone challenging the idea that they should not, but there are probably also many girls there who feel stifled and confined by having to grow up in this environment and for whom meeting or dating someone with a different alien point of view would be exciting. Go looking for those girls. Try the library, the bookstore, coffee houses, bars/clubs (if there are any), universities, yoga classes.

Additionally, religion by nature is so open to interpretation, there may be some "good Christian girls" in town who are open to certain things. If other Christians can pick and choose between hating gay people and not eating shellfish, then others can (and do) sometimes choose to ignore the prohibitions stated, implied or imagined against fornication, promiscuity, or dating outside one's own faith. Some of these people may like the comfort of church, the ceremony, the routine, the familiarity, the communal aspect, or just feeling like they are spiritual or that there is a God, without necessarily buying the whole spiel. Many people like this would be open to dating outside of their faith, as long as you are respectful toward them and their beliefs.

If you are truly a-thiestic (opposed to all religion) then you may want to reconsider yourself if you truly desire to date someone outside of your own beliefs. If you convince some nice church girl to go out with you, it could just be setting yourself up for headaches in the future when you find out she's crippled by sexual neuroses or she is trying her hardest to convert you or things get serious and she is embarrassed to introduce you to her parents..

14. DGirl

Gold Member

I married my hubby and his family's Religion is not the same as my family's. But, he does not practice what his family believes in. But, I on the other hand WILL always practice what my family believes in. He does not feel the need for it, I do. But, what I am saying is. As long as you care for the person don't think you can change them ( which you can't). Then religion really should not play a part in being with another person. Those girls need to get their heads out of their ass and live life. I was the same small minded way as what you are saying about the girls,Kassokilleri2ff. But, getting out of K.C, Mo. and seeing the world changed my way of thinking on things. I even have friends that are diffrent Religions :eek: . That would have never happened if I was still in Mo.

Religion - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

15. AndrewEndowed24

AndrewEndowed24 New Member

Albums:
    Nice post, but I don't think atheism entails an opposition to any or all religion, rather I think it merely entails a disbelief in any and all gods (it doesn't even entail an opposition to god or gods, a few of them might be nice to have around). This is a sticking point for me as I think that the idea that a wholly secular society can cope with all of the pathologies of modernity has turned out to be wrong, but of course, no honest person thinks that our need for a God entails or implies his existence (if only needs did that sort of thing, a lot of troubles would be out of our way), so I don't believe in God despite not being hostile or opposed to religion.

16. fizzyjizz

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    You should do what i do around religious people...lie ur ass off. Its the only way, otherwise they'll lose the will to live and go kill themselves. U r trying to get laid afterall. Unfortunately these silly people who cant concieve of a life that doesnt have a 'point' think that everyone who doesnt share that belief is missing something.

I once got called a DEVIL WORSHIPER by some religious nut! HOW IRONIC IS THAT!?

17. Blocko

Blocko Member

I always respond to people who are forceful with their religion with "Well, I have studied formal logical systems... let's see what you have to show me?"

18. fizzyjizz

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I dont think you can reason with these people. They are brought up to believe in something inspite of the evidence. So if u present them with evidence that there is no god then they will be acting more virtuously in believing in him.Its absurd!

19. Freddie53

Gold Member

I live in the Bible Belt. Religion, Christianity is extremely dominent. However, there are many different denominaitons with totally different concepts. The Bible Belt has a high teen pregnancy rate. Church weddings quite often have a baby going down the aisle with the bride.

And many people are nominally whatever the prevailing religion is. That is, they officially are members for a variety of reasons.

I have a hard time believing that every girl in your town is a diehard fundamentalist girl saving herself for marriage. The circle of friends you happen to have come in contact may be that way, but the whole town is not.

Look further than your present circle of friends. There is a group out there somewhere in your town that you can fit in.

20. Blocko

Blocko Member

I don't actually reason with them... I just keep asking the same question. Then I tell them they are not "hip to my lingo". It's pretty damn entertaining.

Draft saved Draft deleted