How is this for a contradiction?

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by Flashy, Jan 29, 2009.

1. Flashy

Gold Member

yesterday my friend and I ordered a Pizza, and sat down to await its arrival so we could enjoy it while watching the hockey game.

The pizza arrived (pepperoni and extra cheese) and while i am sure others of you have seen this before but i never have

when we looked at the top of the box, instead of the normal pizza box cover that said "Mario's" or "Tonelli's" or "Hot Pizza" etc...the entire top of the box was one, gigantic advertisement...for...get this...

The Ab Rocket, Abdominal Rocking Chair sort of thing...it says a wide variety of things...such as:

"Get Rocket Hard Abs in just 5 minutes a day"

and the most ironic part was this:

"Tons Of Bonuses" including

-Ab Rocket Fat Blasting System on DVD
    -Low Calorie Meal Plans filled with mouth-watering, easy to make recipes
    -Ab Rocket classes for beginners, intermediate and Advanced users
    - 20 minute "Fun-Rockin" cardio dance routine and pilates assister on DVD

it had other little pictures of the contraption itself, "Only $99.99" written in big bold letters, and then around the side of the box, it had the website address etc.

on the back of the box i noticed a registered trademark called "PizzaAds" (obviously a firm dedicated to seeking new ways to advertise etc. and their "pizza" idea is obviously manifested on this box)

now, i understand the need to advertise, but does anyone find the irony of this particular ad a bit strange?

I can figure the AbRocket folks saying "hey this is a good place for ads for our ab cruncher thing...folks may look at the pizza, then think....will maybe i should eat healthier and work out more...ya know what, i am going to order the ab rocket and change my life and my diet and my exercise routine"...

but why would the pizza place folks agree to put that ad on their boxes? I could see an ad for an MP3 Player, or a camcorder, or BestBuy or something...but if you are purveying Pizza, why would you encourage someone to take up something (ab rocketing/diet exercise) that usually is not synonymous with ordering a whole pizza pie?

anyone else find that a tad strange?

:confused:

2. Hockeytiger

Hockeytiger Active Member

Fair enough question. But honestly I think it could very well be a good match.

People who think about ordering the Ab Rocket aren't actually thinking about living healthier lives (eating healthy and exercising). They want short cuts to fitness and frankly, there are none. Conversely, people who order pizza (especially the ones who order it on a semi-regular basis) are people who aren't interested in cooking for themselves (and thus perhaps eating more healthfully) and find the drive-thru to be too much of a hassle. Think about it, if someone finds the drive-thru to be too much work, how serious can they ever be about fitness that it would endanger the pizza company's bottom line. However, such people might feel guilty enough about eating so poorly that they might kind of want to do something, at least about the guilt. And the Ab Rocket is their answer. It is a way give you rock hard abs with little effort and in a short time. That's a perfect product for someone who finds even the drive-thru to be too much work. Of course it doesn't work, but that's not the point. The point is that buying the Ab Rocket aleviates the guilt about eating poorly and not exercising. Remember, the Ab Rocket people aren't really advertising fitness. They are advertising a short cut that everyone knows won't give you decent abs, but will aleviate the guilt about ordering that fatty pizza.

3. HazelGod

Gold Member

Albums:
    Contradiction? Nope...sounds like brilliant marketing to me.

4. vince

Gold Member

Albums:
    You can chow down on your 2000 calorie deep dish with extra cheese and fantasize about sex with a hot AbRocket model at the same time. Works for me.

5. pym

pym New Member

So......Was the Pizza any good?:biggrin1:

6. TurkeyWithaSunburn

Gold Member

Albums:
    Advertising is propaganda. The more you see or hear about something the more likely you are to remember it. :smile: There's also the guilt factor at play in this ad, well I just ate a whole Pizza, better work out to burn off 10,000 calories, let me just get this gizmo. It's gooootta work I tell you!

Now go out and buy that Thighmaster I mean you know you want it... :biggrin:

(who would ever know what the thighmaster was if not for umpteeeen million commercials?)

7. HazelGod

Gold Member

Albums:
    Are you kidding? That's Suzanne Somers, fool! I would so wreck that chick...

8. Flashy

Gold Member

yes, but not for the Pizza Place.

9. reallyhot

Gold Member

Albums:
    Suzanne Somers a Chick?
    Well she's 62 years old...did you know?

Draft saved Draft deleted