How long will you last?

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by B_Nick8, Jan 29, 2010.

1. B_Nick8

B_Nick8 New Member

New York City, by way of Marblehead, Boston and Ge
    I remember well, when I was 16 or so, thinking, with this tremendous dramatic flair that I had then, that I wouldn't live until I was 30. Not, necessarily, because I couldn't imagine 30, which I couldn't at the time. But also because I imagined myself as unable to deal with the realities of life because I was too sensitive and kind to withstand the onslaught.

So, now I guess I'm wondering, with all the issues that we all have and all the furies that happen to us, as kids and as adults, don't we, amazingly, learn to adapt and learn to live, and love and...live?

It's all amazing to me. And I'm grateful for it.

#1 B_Nick8, Jan 29, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2010
  2. curiouslady

curiouslady New Member

Funny, I was raised with lots of "older relatives." So..I've always figured I'd last until 90 at LEAST LOL.. not sure I want to now, but?????

3. funnyguy

funnyguy Active Member

Albums:
    How interesting, Nick 8! It is more than amusing that I thought that I would not last to live to 21! I have beat that by 3 times+! Considering that my parents lived to be 98 and 109-How far off could I be? LOL

And I really appreciate your comments on living and learning and loving!

Thanks for reminding us of the gift of life that we are given.

Jim

4. naughty

Gold Member

We shall see...

5. D_Polyxena Pasties

D_Polyxena Pasties New Member

I used to not think I'd last past 25. I don't even have a reason for thinking this other than I used to think everything bad would happen to me.

6. Viking_UK

Gold Member

Well, given that I was close to suicide for a lot of the time between 14 and 21, I'm just lucky to be here.

I still can't imagine what life might be like after 65, but given that most of my relatives have lived into their 80s and beyond, apart from my mother two died in her 40s, I'd like to think I've got a chance of finding out.

7. Joll

Gold Member

Albums:
    Yep, it's an interesting question. Sometimes I feel like I've been through loads and am really strong, sometimes I think I dunno much at all, lol.

Guess we'll just have to see...

8. D_Portelay Porquesword

I was having a heart to heart with a long time friend of mine up in San Francisco last night.
    We have known each other since the early 80's and have seen our share of troubles through the years.

My friend's mother passed away this week. She was the last parent, her father having passed when my friend was a child.

We both feel blessed in so many ways, fortunate to still be here. Our lives are now moving upwards into a new level. The quality of which neither of us have experienced before, yet another reason to be thankful.

I cherish my friends, they are my extended family. I cherish my experiences, both good and the bad. Even in my failures, there are lessons that need proper application in my life so that repeats won't happen and to prepare me for better.

To be sad or live in regret, worry for what I lack or what others may have is not living and certainly not the legacy I chose for myself. I want to do justice to the life I have been given, show gratitude for every day and love unconditionally those that are closest to me.

Most of all, I love myself and I love who I am.

9. got_lost

Gold Member

Well firstly...

Nick8

:hug:

Then, in response to the question (I think it was a question, or was it just a musing... :rolleyes: )

I never thought I'd make 40.
    No real reason other than I can be particularly stupid and careless sometimes and just thought I'd accidentally do myself in one day. :smile:

But I was wrong. And kinda proving the old adage of 'life begins at 40' :rolleyes:

Always aware of how short life can be and how precious each moment is.
    Definitely love the living and adapting thing, not quite there on the love thing yet but do hope I find it before I pop my clogs. :smile:

10. witch

witch Member

I'm kind of shooting for 1000, well it could happen .....

I was one of the shy misfits at that age .... but bully me and I would gut you with a dull spoon

after Hell School found the adult world was a pretty neat place to be and still do even with the ups and downs

11. pcghabsy

Gold Member

Albums:
    Early 80s I think. Hopefully...

Make it 90s, accounting for advancements in medical sciences.

12. B_jeepguy2

B_jeepguy2 New Member

Well I knew three of my great grandparents all of whom were born in the 19th century, and they all lived to be well into their 90s and one great grandmother even made it to 102 so I always figured that with those genes I would be around for a very long time. Then I went for a routine physical when I was a 20 year old college student and the doctor told me my kidneys were failing, and I would either need to be kept alive by a machine, have a kidney transplant or die. I had a transplant and it lasted 11 years, then last year I had to have a second one because the heriditary disease came back.

Not sure how much longer this one is gonna last but when they tell me it is failing I think I am going to fly out to Portland, rent an apartment, get an Oregon Driver's licence and go see one of those doctors out there that does physician assisted suicide (since it is legal there) and get a prescription for some meds that will send me on my final journey...since I am too big of a pussy to do it like a real man and use a .45 Colt on myself.

I am 37 now and when I was 20, I never thought I would ever live to be 30. Not sure why I am still here. Since I have been living on borrowed time for over a decade I do not make long term plans or commitments and I don't worry too much about saving money for retirement!

#12 B_jeepguy2, Jan 29, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2010
  13. hung

Gold Member

Albums:
    One never knows the plan that has been established for each of us.

That stated, I simply attempt to enjoy life each and every day.

I intend to keep it up for as long as I can.

14. Deno

Gold Member

Albums:
    Yeah I feel that way Nick, what doesn't kill you makes you stronger. I took so much shit from people as a kid I don't give a shit what anyone thinks these days. Of course a script of Ativan helps wonders.

15. rbkwp

Gold Member

Albums:
    2nd draft
    J,s early parting brings it all home to me
    recently diagnosed a condition of Md does not excuse
    pales into insignificance when you
    forever have in mind the youngsters born afflicted
    each day after the teen years .. is a blessing
    i feel
    enz

few days ago two teens in Au were sleeping in there sleeping bags/long grass Country Aussie..a friend of the group unfortunately backed his ute over them.not knowing they were there.
    M/F both passed away
    so sad'

16. D_t5yuoio

D_t5yuoio New Member

I'm betting on my mid eighties... On another note, not to hijack the thread, have you given any thought on how you WANT to go? Just hope it's not fucking cancer... I hate that shit. And if I get alzheimers... just shoot me! Couldn't deal with the unknowing. If it's younger than my time, it better be while doing something I enjoy!

17. vince

Gold Member

Albums:
    No idea how long this all lasts. I plan on staying active, having new experiences, reading, never assuming that I am wise. I've known enough elders now to see that those who don't take themselves too seriously, are the happy ones.

I just hope I don't outlive my Best Before date.

18. Onslow

Gold Member

We tend to die in my family between ages 40 and 101 so I have no idea. If I get to 70 it will be better than half the family.

19. MickeyLee

Gold Member

i have the genetics to make it well into my 90s.

i have a disposition that might make seeing the far of my 20s questionable.

longevity is all a matter of pulling my head out of my ass.

20. dreamer20

Gold Member

This isn't one of those sex surveys, is it?:wink:

Hooray for you Nick for starting to live at 30. :beerchug2:

BTW I recall the sayings "Don't trust anyone over 30" as a child and "Life begins at forty" as a grown-up.:biggrin1:

Draft saved Draft deleted