How many fiction and/or prose writers here?

elgrande

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
I wouldn't call myself a writer. I'm more like a wannabe. I've written some stuff and even participated in inter-School national competitions, but nothing pro yet.

I'm going to Engineering school, but I want to be a screenwriter. My lit teachers and professors from High School and the first semester of University have all said that's what I'm good at.

I also have a blog where I've posted some (very) short stories, some of which are actually Erotica, but they're in Spanish. I've been meaning to translate it all into English, but just haven't had the chance.

hotbtminla

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I wouldn't call myself a writer. I'm more like a wannabe. I've written some stuff and even participated in inter-School national competitions, but nothing pro yet.

I'm going to Engineering school, but I want to be a screenwriter. My lit teachers and professors from High School and the first semester of University have all said that's what I'm good at.

I also have a blog where I've posted some (very) short stories, some of which are actually Erotica, but they're in Spanish. I've been meaning to translate it all into English, but just haven't had the chance.

I could see how someone with an engineering background could be a very good screenwriter indeed.

Story structure (which of course applies to lots of other creative writing as well) isn't unlike a building structure, albeit in a very abstract way. In fact I frequently refer to the rewrite process as "kicking the pillars."

Good luck with your endeavors kaike.

elgrande

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
I haven't done that good at school. I'm four semesters in and my average is 6.5/10 so far. I've been considering dropping out to pursue a career that fits my interests and goals better for some time now. I'm much better at Humanistics than Science. I'm perfectly bilingual, and my spelling, grammar and semantics in both languages are far better than my math, chemistry and physics skills.

elgrande

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
I think the scientific background only helps with the accuracy of things, and I tend to be quite careful about that.

I think being a writer requires being able to think abstractly, which is quite the opposite to what's required to be en engineer, or any other kind of scientist, for that matter.

Like I said, going to Engineering School can only help with the logics in writing; you know that building a good, solid story with no plotholes or any other flaw requieres thoroughness, and that I've learned plenty in ES.

D_Thoraxis_Biggulp

Experimental Member
Media
I went to school for engineering as well and ended up dropping out to look for something that better fit my personality. The money would be great, but I don't want to be rich and miserable.
And I use what I learned there to just that extent.