how many men here are feminists???

1Cody

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
I've always believed in equality for all people, not just women. I have also believed in equal opportunity for all. Both seem to be loaded concepts in that it is now being defined as liberalism and it is in fact what the Democratic values of America are based on.

B_theaussieone

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I believe in the idea of gender equality, as in equal opportunities available to all genders, so by definition that makes me a feminist.

What was the point of your original question, and your own views, theaussieone?

i was just wondering if we had any male chauvanists in the house. my view is that feminism has been beneficial for society. but alot of divorced men (not me, ive been only single) hate women.

Great to read other peoples ideas, thoughts feelings etc , on this subject. Thanks for the topic.

I don't know if its possible for me to be a feminist, i don't know what the criteria is in order to qualify or how much i can be a feminist. What i do know is that my life got a whole lot less complicated when i stopped thinking i should understand and that i should relate to experiences that only a woman could understand or relate to.

The common ground i occupy is the same territory as my fellow human beings, from there the only difference is their gender. Its my responsibility to understand what it is to be a man. 100% my responsibility. A very difficult task where the goal posts keep changing. My understanding is always being challenged to some degree. My personal relationship with women is to appreciate them wherever and whenever possible*, its not my prime directive to understand or relate above or beyond my common bond, that of being an equal human being. I know that my appreciation has been enhanced by the understanding of 'complimentary opposites' and that each gender helps contribute and shape the other. Equal and complimentary opposites. I will say that this isnt a general oversimplification of not caring, not being interested, being dismissive or blase. Personally I am clear that its impossible for a woman to understand what its like to be a man, the experience. I dont expect a woman to understand or relate at all. I do expect its potentially possible to relate fully as a human being though.

This is such a complex and dynamic subject and i cant really do it justice in just a few concise paragraphs. Its an excellent question. A great opportunity to discuss and be provoked by others thoughts and feelings regarding this subject, its a nice challenging subject.

* This doesnt mean i agree with everything, for example i do appreciate a Jackson Pollock painting, i dont personally really like it though, a high level of regard and appreciation for the effort, significance, methodology, etc etc. I don't dislike Pollock, don't like them much either.

OK...ive had my ten minutes of serious high brow stuff. now its back to silly and stupid forum comments.

D_Jacqueline_Boozann

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
This generation believes they have unlimited opportunities to succeed -- and they can. However, they forget their gains weren't exactly easily worn: women in the 60s and 70s faced vile persecution. Some men thought they were stepping out-of-bounds, not knowing their place (whatever that meant), and denying and defying their feminity. Some of them were ridiculed by family, friends, and the community, but they fought on for the rights of women in their generation and for generations to come.

Now, the torch has been passed to this generation, and hopefully, the generations to come. Of course, with all of this new found freedom, comes responsibility: women have to be qualified and should be to compete in society; not given opportunities because they're women.

I'm African-American, and sometimes the only one in my classes in college and some jobs I've had. Sure, I might have been hired because the jobs had to meet quota standards (espcially the ones receiving federal assistance), but I can reassure you -- I was highly qualified -- even more so than my white counterparts.

I worked at a State position wherein I was the only female, African-American teacher, for about 14 years...personnel preferred not to hire black African-American males. Don't ask me why...but I speculate that they have two in one: female and an African American woman. So, when they submitted data to the federal government, regarding race, their backs were covered -- that's why I dubbed it -- the two in one factor.

Finally, we're lucky to be living in a land filled with promises and unending opportunities for men and women. Women, strive not for mediocrity, but for success!

Denise Michelle Phillips (Episcopalian), retired high-school teacher

D_Terry_Tugnuts

Account Disabled
Media
Absolutely! Why shouldn't women have as much right as men to live their lives as they wish? I'm really offended by the discriminatory practices followed by one of the religions in the UK (guess which one that is!) but it seems amazing to me that more of our feminists don't speak out about their sisters being made to wear headscarves, being forced into arranged marriages or be subject to 'honour' beatings or worse if they infringe the rigid moral code. It's beyond me.

aninnymouse

Cherished Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
Absolutely! Why shouldn't women have as much right as men to live their lives as they wish? I'm really offended by the discriminatory practices followed by one of the religions in the UK (guess which one that is!) but it seems amazing to me that more of our feminists don't speak out about their sisters being made to wear headscarves, being forced into arranged marriages or be subject to 'honour' beatings or worse if they infringe the rigid moral code. It's beyond me.

It's so difficult when there's a religious prerogative involved. I know what you mean, though. When you hear about these "Honor Beatings" or a woman forced to marry her rapist or face ten years in prison, and quite likely be killed by her own family upon release, etc, it makes you wonder.

However, any religion, especially one that keeps a very harsh view of God and carries severe penalties, will do things that are very, very sexist. How many female church pastors/priests do you find in Christian Churches. None, really. There are some churches here in the States where the husband and wife are "Co-pastors" but it's clear that the husband is the leader.

It's a shame, because I know some seriously brilliant women. Ones that can change the world if given half the chance.

B_duanculo

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Equality? Sure. But I think "feminist" has changed to be something beyond "equality" in many cases.

agree completely. i'm all for equality but feminism has moved passed simply wanting equality to vilifying men whenever possible. all for equality but find that i typically dislike feminists, at least the extreme ones that turn EVERYTHING into an issue eg. using words such as "mankind". petty shit being blown out of proportion

englishmale

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
i'm sure everyone believes in gender equality, but i think that is separate to feminism.

feminism has become associated with victim culture,and left wing pollitics.It has also became very dogmatic and humourless, and man hating is a part of it. The endless consipiracy theories have nt helped either.

It's important to remember that not all women are feminists, Margaret Thatcher certainly was nt, and feminists hated her despite her incredible achievement in becoming PM.

A lot of women i know prefer being at home with children to working, and quite a few dislike feminists lack of feminity