How many races of people do you think there are?

kalipygian

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
So a commercial is proof that "race" exists?

People from certain parts of the world are more prone to or less prone to certain diseases and conditions. That's a well known fact. That fact however, in no way supports your idea of race.

Finland is a case in point. Finno-Ugric tribes probably migrated from Asia to Europe and some stopped in Hungary and other's continued on to Scandinavia. So, since they came from Asia, they must be Asians, right?

The problem is, there's no convenient point in history where magically some people became asians, some africans and some europeans. There has always been a fair amount of genetic interplay throughout the ages. Some groups became isolated and their immune systems responded to the endemic disease, insects, environmental conditions that existed where they lived.

Race as a construct is useless to geneticists, sociologists and society in general. Genetic makeup however, is very important in medicine.

Speaking of Africans, it's impossible to make any broad statement about health. Those in the north have a lot of arab and european blood, those in the far south tend to vary as much from the north africans as scandinavians do.

Technically, we're all africans.

The ancestors of the Laps, Finns, and Estonians, (Saami, Suomi, Esti) were the first people to occupy southern scandanavia, as the continental glacier retreated north, they expanded that in the newly exposed land areas.(around ten thousand years ago) They were later displaced from most of the area by the indo-european speaking ancestors of the Swedes and Norwegians.

The ancestors of the Hungarians (Magyars), of the same linguistic group, finno-ugric, migrated into the Hungary from central asia
historically, around a thousand years ago.

The origonal Bulgarians were also finno-ugric, now they are slavic speakers.
They migrated into the area a couple hundred years before the Hungarians.

The Turks are of the same linguistic group, it is called turkic as well as finno-ugric. They were the last to migrate to where thy are now.

There are a vast number of people over a very wide area as far east as China that are in this group.

I have never seen anything on where this language group is thought to have origonated, or how it spread. Possibly it once covered Russia/Ukraine area before the slavs, part of the indo-european language group migrated in, expanding from around southern Poland around 1,400 years ago.

The Hungarians migrated as an identifiable group, the Laps etc. are the aborigones of scandinavia, they were there very very long before.

Apologize for being pedantic, I certainly agree with your point.

Simon9

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Yes, the Hungarians (are they a race, BTW?) migrated much too far and I had to go and marry one. Damn. I've tried to get my wife to migrate back to the steppes of central Asia but she won't go.

On a separate note, as to the pissing match between Meme1010 and Nine Inch Cock 160IQ, I was wondering who was winning? As in who was delivering the most psychologically lethal insults? Do you really need this, guys?

BTW, I'm in the "there's only one race, the human race" camp. But "race" is a word and can mean whatever the hell its user wants it to mean.

B_NineInchCock_160IQ

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Yes, the Hungarians (are they a race, BTW?) migrated much too far and I had to go and marry one. Damn. I've tried to get my wife to migrate back to the steppes of central Asia but she won't go.

On a separate note, as to the pissing match between Meme1010 and Nine Inch Cock 160IQ, I was wondering who was winning? As in who was delivering the most psychologically lethal insults? Do you really need this, guys?

Hungarian culture is mostly magyar. Distinct from other Slavic cultures which make up most of the rest of eastern Europe.

As for the "pissing contest"... I'm not interested in any contests and I'm not interested in winning anything. I'm merely responding in kind to idiotic posts insinuating that I don't understand the OP's position because I disagree with it. If mem knew how to make an argument I'd drop the insults and argue with him.

Simon9

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I don't understand the "mostly Magyar" part of this. Hungarians are Magyars. That's their name for themselves. You're quite right they are not Slavs. Hungary is called "Magyarurszag" (sp?) by Hungarians. And their language is Magyarol.

And I've tried learning it and, well, fuggitaboutit.

Simon9

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I didn't say that.

I was referring to the Hungarian people. They are the Magyars. for instance, the Russians came and occupied for about 45 years. But Magyars they weren't.

But yeah, there has been some back and forth. There is no love lost between them and the Rumanians, for example. The borderlands between the two have people of both ethnicities.

B_NineInchCock_160IQ

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I mean, they are mixed. EVERYONE is mixed. The last Hungarian girl I went out with was really part Hungarian, part Romanian, part Bulgarian, part Macedonian. and even more mixed up than that, of course, if you could trace her ancestry back further because none of those distinctions have existed since the dawn of time or even that long at all in the grand scheme of things. Also, I was talking about culture, which is more relevant than talking about something imaginary like race, and any culture, of course, is influenced heavily by all other cultures that it comes in contact with. So.. like I said... Hungarian culture is mostly Magyar, with numerous other important influences including Russian and Romanian.

kalipygian

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I didn't say that.

I was referring to the Hungarian people. They are the Magyars. for instance, the Russians came and occupied for about 45 years. But Magyars they weren't.

But yeah, there has been some back and forth. There is no love lost between them and the Rumanians, for example. The borderlands between the two have people of both ethnicities.

Magyar kiralysag. They used to rule the peoples to the north, east, and south, several times larger than now. By the treaty of Trainon, Transylvania went from Hungary to Rumania, it still has a Hungarian minority. Before the Ottoman occupation of the area, their population was much larger, relatively. The part of what is now Serbia north of the Danube was all Magyar, for example.

You are correct they are not slavs. The slavs were there about 400 years before them. I gave some more explanation in my previous post about the language family they are part of, finno-ugric-turkic. Completely surrounded by indo european languages.

I have been speaking of language groups and tribes, race is a construct.

Curious that a person who is 'blanco' in Mexico is no longer caucasian if they cross the border.

NIC is undefeated.

kalipygian

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I mean, they are mixed. EVERYONE is mixed. The last Hungarian girl I went out with was really part Hungarian, part Romanian, part Bulgarian, part Macedonian. and even more mixed up than that, of course, if you could trace her ancestry back further because none of those distinctions have existed since the dawn of time or even that long at all in the grand scheme of things. Also, I was talking about culture, which is more relevant than talking about something imaginary like race, and any culture, of course, is influenced heavily by all other cultures that it comes in contact with. So.. like I said... Hungarian culture is mostly Magyar, with numerous other important influences including Russian and Romanian.

Agreed.

Macedonia was once briefly, between the first and second balkan wars, part of Bulgaria. The language is closer to bulgarian.

Romanians, (vlachs) are not slavic, the language is derived from latin, for very many centuries they were the among poorest and most obscure people in europe, there was no urban culture that survived. So the language is different, I don't know if the culture is very different, from the surrounding.
When the things began to be written in the language in the 19thc, a lot of words were borrowed from italian, the vocabulary was so limited.

chico8

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Romanians, (vlachs) are not slavic, the language is derived from latin, for very many centuries they were the among poorest and most obscure people in europe, there was no urban culture that survived. So the language is different, I don't know if the culture is very different, from the surrounding.
When the things began to be written in the language in the 19thc, a lot of words were borrowed from italian, the vocabulary was so limited.

I read a fascinating book, The Balkans, A Short History and in it, the guy said that when speaking to people in the Balkans in the 1800s there was no sense of national identity. They identified themselves simply as Orthodox, Catholic or Muslim. Nationalism was simply a foreign concept.

Romania is a fascinating country, one I'd love to visit. The Siebenburgen or also Transylvania, has a intriguing history.

The country was a virtual colony for so long it's amazing that any culture has survived at all.

kalipygian

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I read a fascinating book, The Balkans, A Short History and in it, the guy said that when speaking to people in the Balkans in the 1800s there was no sense of national identity. They identified themselves simply as Orthodox, Catholic or Muslim. Nationalism was simply a foreign concept.

Romania is a fascinating country, one I'd love to visit. The Siebenburgen or also Transylvania, has a intriguing history.

The country was a virtual colony for so long it's amazing that any culture has survived at all.

That the world can and should be divided up into distinct nation-states is a concept not much older than the 19th century. We were taught in school that is was the equivalent of the pinnacle of evolution, I'm been doubting that for a while.

In the ottoman empire people were divided and governed by their religious group, called the 'millet' system, no concept of nationalities. If you converted to islam you paid less taxes. The orthodox were all under the civil administrative authority of the patriarch of Constanople. The provincial governors were often greeks from the city.

I think I have both those books.

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Hungarian culture is mostly magyar. Distinct from other Slavic cultures which make up most of the rest of eastern Europe.

As for the "pissing contest"... I'm not interested in any contests and I'm not interested in winning anything. I'm merely responding in kind to idiotic posts insinuating that I don't understand the OP's position because I disagree with it. If mem knew how to make an argument I'd drop the insults and argue with him.

Go back and read this thread and tell me who was the first to drop the F-bomb. It was you. Starting with expletives when frustated is a sign of an unintelligent mind.

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
But I had a conversation about this with an aquaintance and he said there are black, white, yellow and red. He thought that the Native Americans (sometimes called American Indians) were a separate race.
The only place I've ever heard that was from the lovely old "vacation bible school" song, "Jesus Love the Little Children." Is that where your friend got this concept from?

We all came from Africa....We all want reparations BIOTCH.!
Every time I see that, I think

BIOTECH!

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
If there are no races due to the social construct theory , then there are no nations nor religions for the same reasoning.

fortiesfun

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
No, the HUMAN SPECIES originated in Africa. They eventualy evolved into 3 different distinct races, (on 3 different continents) where all of humanity can be linked to.
I don't understand why, using this logic, you deny the existence of the aboriginal Australians and Americans? Seems to me that they evolved on a fourth and fifth continent, in the same way that the three you do recognize evolved. What is the difference between Asians migrating out of Africa, and Australian Aborigines migrating out of Africa separately? (I am not meaning to pick a fight here, but am asking how you construct the racial categories you use. It would seem more consistent to me if evolutionary isolation on a continent were the criteria for there to be five races. Perhaps six if you count the Ainu in Japan who seem to be a non-Asian isolated population.)

D_Gunther Snotpole

Account Disabled
Media
Perhaps six if you count the Ainu in Japan who seem to be a non-Asian isolated population.)

Depends on how you look at it, Doc.
The 'Asian' 'race' is called 'Asian' because it is in Asia.
The Ainu are in Asia.
Therefore they too must be Asian.
So we would have to say something like, 'The Ainu are an Asian race somehow distinct from the main (or whatever) Asian race.'

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I don't understand why, using this logic, you deny the existence of the aboriginal Australians and Americans? Seems to me that they evolved on a fourth and fifth continent, in the same way that the three you do recognize evolved. What is the difference between Asians migrating out of Africa, and Australian Aborigines migrating out of Africa separately? (I am not meaning to pick a fight here, but am asking how you construct the racial categories you use. It would seem more consistent to me if evolutionary isolation on a continent were the criteria for there to be five races. Perhaps six if you count the Ainu in Japan who seem to be a non-Asian isolated population.)

I dont deny them, I just don't classify them as a separate race. I am talking about 75,000 years ago. The Aboriginals (which I've heard called Aborginese, but I'm not sure of the spelling) and Native Americans migrated closer to modern times. Even if it was 10,000 years ago.

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I dont deny them, I just don't classify them as a separate race. I am talking about 75,000 years ago. The Aboriginals (which I've heard called Aborginese, but I'm not sure of the spelling) and Native Americans migrated closer to modern times. Even if it was 10,000 years ago.

It's common knowledge (I thought) that Australian Aboriginals have been 'in situ' for close to 60,000 years (between 40,000 and 70,000 is the accepted range).

You're making this up as you go, aren't you?:rolleyes:

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
It's common knowledge (I thought) that Australian Aboriginals have been 'in situ' for close to 60,000 years (between 40,000 and 70,000 is the accepted range).

You're making this up as you go, aren't you?:rolleyes:

No, it is not COMMON knowledge. I don't really know much about the aborigines, but whenever they got to Australia it does not make them a seperate race.

Modern man left Africa less than 100,000 years ago.

Indigenous Australians are recognised to have arrived between 40,000 and 70,000 years ago, though the lower end of this range has wider acceptance.