How many races of people do you think there are?

B_NineInchCock_160IQ

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Go back and read this thread and tell me who was the first to drop the F-bomb. It was you. Starting with expletives when frustated is a sign of an unintelligent mind.

You were the first to imply that because I disagreed with your stupid-ass posts that I must not understand you. You failed to make anything resembling an argument, like you have with every other post so far on this thread, instead saying that I simply didn't understand what you were saying because you are right and I am "too PC". Which is total horseshit, I'm about as politically correct as Archie Bunker. Speaking your mind and being an ignorant asshole aren't necessarily the same thing.

Being a complete fucking idiot is also a good sign of an unintelligent mind. So is oversensitivity to "cuss" words, for that matter.

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
So leaving Africa 100,000 years ago makes you a seperate race, and leaving it 70,000 years ago does not. Gotcha. That's probably as smart as anything else you've said on this thread.

I'm glad I got under your skin.:biggrin1: stick to the cursing.

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
there would be no need or the word race if there was only one.

The term race describes populations or groups of people as distinguished by various sets of characteristics and beliefs about common ancestry.[1] The most widely used human racial categories are based on visible traits (especially skin color, facial features and hair texture), and self-identification.[2]

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I "curse" all the time, it doesn't mean you're under my skin. Did you just invent a new "curse" word? Because the text you quoted doesn't have any recognized by the FCC.

I was not talking about the specfic previous post.

The fact that you curse all the time shows that you are easily frustrated and cannot find civlized words in that 160 IQ brain.

B_NineInchCock_160IQ

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I was not talking about the specfic previous post.

The fact that you curse all the time shows that you are easily frustrated and cannot find civlized words in that 160 IQ brain.

Oh great, so we're going to start debating what words are "civilized" now, as well? I'll beat the pants off of you in this one, too. My background in linguistics is considerably stronger than history or anthropology. Let me know when you're ready.

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Oh great, so we're going to start debating what words are "civilized" now, as well? I'll beat the pants off of you in this one, too. My background in linguistics is considerably stronger than history or anthropology. Let me know when you're ready.

Go, I am ready.
By the way you are quite the Queen Bitch (not a curse, it is said on network tv) One would think you were a fabulous drag queen with your attitude, or a closet case.

B_NineInchCock_160IQ

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
there would be no need or the word race if there was only one.

The term race describes populations or groups of people as distinguished by various sets of characteristics and beliefs about common ancestry.[1] The most widely used human racial categories are based on visible traits (especially skin color, facial features and hair texture), and self-identification.[2]

Are you really so thick that you don't see that, even by the definition that you chose to cut and paste, every single thing that the people in this thread you have been arguing with is completely validated? If race is a matter of self-identification, or "beliefs" about common ancestry, it is and cannot be anything other than a social construct. Same goes if it is a description of a population or group of people. It's an arbitrary grouping, arrived at by small-minded people, based on things as stupid as which land mass your great great great grandpappy lived on, designed to help those small-minded people wrap their little brains around things because they are too dim to understand a world without labels.

B_NineInchCock_160IQ

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Go, I am ready.
By the way you are quite the Queen Bitch (not a curse, it is said on network tv) One would think you were a fabulous drag queen with your attitude, or a closet case.

hahaha.. oh boy. "queen bitch" is not a curse word because it was said on network TV. Network TV has become the grand arbiter of who are the civilized and who are the barbarians. Oh come on, I'm the one that's supposed to be saying things that are that ridiculous so I can demonstrate how completely idiotic your position is. If you say them yourself, you make my job way too easy.

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Are you really so thick that you don't see that, even by the definition that you chose to cut and paste, every single thing that the people in this thread you have been arguing with is completely validated? If race is a matter of self-identification, or "beliefs" about common ancestry, it is and cannot be anything other than a social construct. Same goes if it is a description of a population or group of people. It's an arbitrary grouping, arrived at by small-minded people, based on things as stupid as which land mass your great great great grandpappy lived on, designed to help those small-minded people wrap their little brains around things because they are too dim to understand a world without labels.

Yes, I see how un-PC you are and how you are so much more like Archie Bunker.

I'm willing to see it as a matter of opinion (as to if there are races or not) .

You are the kind of person (stubborn, pig-headed) who would rather die than be proven wrong.

D_Gunther Snotpole

Account Disabled
Media
It's an arbitrary grouping, arrived at by small-minded people, based on things as stupid as which land mass your great great great grandpappy lived on, designed to help those small-minded people wrap their little brains around things because they are too dim to understand a world without labels.

Too strong. You can talk of tall people, people of medium height, and short people -- without prejudice to the 'humaness' of any of them.
A world without labels? It has advantages and disadvantages.
Now, if someone believes there are such things as 'races,' they may indeed hold such a belief because they want some kind of racial hierarchy in which, most likely, the race to which they believe they belong is given some kind of privileged position.
But one can believe in the notion of 'race' without believing in such a hierachy.
There are biologists who still believe in the notion of 'race,' but who believe also that the concept is far emptier than was once widely believed. These are not necessarily small-minded people.
How one should describe mem is a question I'm still pondering.
But he's not in principle an asshole for his belief in races.

In other news: There is no reason to say that, because the 'Asian' and 'white' races left Africa -- what? 100,000? close to 200,000 years ago? -- and, some say, evolved into something distinct from the population that remained in Africa ... that the same should be said of Australian aboriginals, who may have left 40,000 years ago. No doubt all populations changed, but there is no inconsistency in saying the first two changed to such a degree that they are now to be classified as different 'races,' while the last did not change to any equivalent degree.
This is not a conceptual question. It is an empirical question, on which I have no opinion ... because I have no empirical knowledge.

The concept of race has been horribly abused and the cause of much human suffering. There is much reason to treat it delicately and to be alert to the possibility of stereotyping and odious normative judgments entering the equation.
That said, the notion that 'race' has some validity is not the preserve only of fools.

Do I believe that the notion of 'race' is worth preserving?
I have no idea.

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Too strong.
.The concept of race has been horribly abused and the cause of much human suffering. There is much reason to treat it delicately and to be alert to the possibility of stereotyping and odious normative judgments entering the equation.
That said, the notion that 'race' has some validity is not the preserve only of fools.

Do I believe that the notion of 'race' is worth preserving?
I have no idea.

Well said....

I am willing to see this as a matter of opinion. What race means to me is not the same as it means to NINEINCH IQ. I see his point, but he does not see mine. I don't tell him he is wrong, but he insists that I am.

chico8

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response

Risch admitted that few people in this study were of recent mixed ancestry, who might not fall into such neat genetic categories.

I think this is important for all of those of mixed ancestry. You simply can't categorize everyone. Many Americans have traces of native American genetic material. When it comes to medicine, it's probably pretty important to recognize that fact. Simply self identifying isn't all that useful for those with mixed ancestry, especially when ethnic features like skin color may not be evident. It could also lead to complacency in the medical field.

In California, mixed ancestry is the norm, not the exception.

ledroit

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
There is no biological reality that corresponds to "race."

But human beings have family resemblances. There are also huge continental family resemblances that developed over thousands of years of adaptation. When Africans began to migrate north into colder climates, lighter skinned babies absorbed more vitamin D from the sun when they were wrapped in clothing than darker skinned babies did, and had higher survival rates in the wintertime. So over time, northerners lost pigment, and probably became superstitious about the advantages of lighter skin color. In other cases, dominant clans formed when one warrior (like Ghengis Khan much later) had hundreds if not thousands of offspring. They might have developed a belief that a certain eyeshape meant greater intelligence in a mate, or a certain kind of hair color and texture meant invincibility--and those became dominant in a clan, or tribe, or in larger social groups.

Family resemblances are real. But it was the way they were interepreted for political or religious or cultural or sexual purposes that became critical. This is what "social construct" or "social engineering" refers to.

If people are serious about a topic like this, a reality check at the very beginning of the conversation is important. Without a reality check, any random "belief" can suddenly be thrown in as evidence, and with that, any conversation can turn to fire instead of light.

[Although I have to admit I admire the way you kept your balance throughout that exchange, nineinch. You keep a cool head somehow even when you're pissed, which I like. ]

ledroit

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Well said....

I am willing to see this as a matter of opinion. What race means to me is not the same as it means to NINEINCH IQ. I see his point, but he does not see mine. I don't tell him he is wrong, but he insists that I am.

It seems to me that in biology (or science in general), things just can't be matters of opinion if you want to talk about reality as opposed to fantasy.

And if you want to live in reality as opposed to fantasy, I suppose you'd have to say that psychologically it is also important to distinguish between opinion and fact.

So a topic like this by its very nature should be ordered toward reality, not opinon--wouldn't you agree?

Racism thrives best where people are content with their own opinions about human differences, and indifferent about whether the opinions they like are based on fantasy or reality.