How Many Squats?

dingdong

Cherished Member
Media
Hi,

I've read alot of posts here which say that you should do squats to build your ass muscles. But, how many should I do per day?

I've posted 2 ass photos in my gallery to give you an idea of the shape of my butt now, so I would just like to know how many squats i should be doing :confused:

I might as well be asking how long a piece of string is, but how long does it take for a difference to be seen?:confused:

two2

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
as many as you can until you're tired! the more the better. if you want to speed up the muscle building process make sure you weigh yourself down with weights.

if your sore the next day then take a day off.. u have to let yourself heal before you start tearing the muscles again.

WifeOfBath

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
i do a lot of squats without weight in my aerobics classes-- probably 10 sets of 16, and then i'll do a few sets with weights. i also work out on an elliptical. i still don't have an ass to speak of, but the one i have is hard and tight.

just make sure your form is correct-- a good number of people do squats completely wrong which pretty much makes them useless and, worse, you can injure yourself.

vwkid24

Experimental Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
No Response
Straight back. Make sure your knees dont go past your feet. Legs shoulder width apart.

Do 5 reps per set, then move up the weight each time. Biggest thing is to make sure you get good depth. If you think your ass is about to hit the floor, and you can still stand up, youve reached the right depth.

kalipygian

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Your gluteals are the largest and strongest muscles, that makes it difficult to really exercise them well, because other smaller muscles are exhausted first.

I use a nautilus leg press machine.

OCMuscleJock

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
ummm wrong answer....

your quads/hamstings and glutes are larger muscle groups...you need a good 48 hr rest before hitting them hard again for them to properly repair from the last workout. Doing the same muscle groups everyday is a waste of time if you're looking for growth. I think that you're wanting to build your glutes right? Not to cut them down. Also, make sure you're getting enough protein for muscle growth and also the BCAA's to help in repair. ALSO!!! drink LOTS of water...you need the hydration especially since its practially summer...

And for the love of GOD...please do not go past a 90 Degree angle on your decent. It puts terrible amounts of pressure on your knees. And you dont need to blow out your knee.

Bodybuilding.com - Exercise Guides Database.

Hope this helps :)

B_Monster

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I do 3 sets at 15 reps, I squat with 180 pounds but, your weight would be different, of course. OC Muscles post is good info, dont overtrain by working the same muscle 2 days in a row, your muscles need time to repair. If you overtrain your wasting your time if you want growth of the muscle.

Hugh Mann

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
And for the love of GOD...please do not go past a 90 Degree angle on your decent. It puts terrible amounts of pressure on your knees. And you dont need to blow out your knee.

This is perhaps the biggest piece of misinformation that has ever been spread about an exercise. When you squat above parallel, you create an anterior shearing force on the knee that isn't counterbalanced by the hamstrings, which is what they are supposed to do. Going below parallel incorporates the hamstrings and the adductors (groin), so that the different muscles of the leg get strong in proper proportion to one another.

As long as the calves aren't touching the hamstrings, full, below-parallel squats are the best exercise you can do.

Squat Analysis

OCMuscleJock

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
depends on your feet width apart. I see it all the time...many different studies on this. I have a degree in Exercise Physiology and second in Neuromuscular Therapy...I'll stick with what I know and have learned. Also, if you read the article you posted...it says "there is little chance IF".... and begins to list variables... you never give advice to someone to the contrary of the standard norm. ESPECIALLY if you don not know their physical limitations, previous experience or knowledge of the subject. IE: proper form, machine mechanics, and such....

oldredneck1

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Squats are the best exercise for the glutes and quads. Here are the results of hard work and dedication.

30459d1211064040-tattooed-muscle-3l-3.jpg

unabear09

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Any one have any alternatives to squats for increasing the size of one's gluteous maximus? I've got bad knees and I consider myself well off if I can squat at all, so squats with weights or doing sets of squats are pretty much not an option for me....well that is if I want to be able to continue to walk lol

Hugh Mann

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
depends on your feet width apart. I see it all the time...many different studies on this. I have a degree in Exercise Physiology and second in Neuromuscular Therapy...I'll stick with what I know and have learned. Also, if you read the article you posted...it says "there is little chance IF".... and begins to list variables... you never give advice to someone to the contrary of the standard norm. ESPECIALLY if you don not know their physical limitations, previous experience or knowledge of the subject. IE: proper form, machine mechanics, and such....

I realize you have nothing but good intentions here...but your statement that going below parallel puts "terrible amounts of stress on the knee" is simply false. Stopping a squat above parallel causes the quadriceps to push the tibia forward. Only by going below parallel is this force balanced by a posterior force by the hamstrings. This balance of forces makes the knee stronger. The idea that "deep squats damage the knee" originated in a 1961 study that has been recognized as highly flawed, and it is really dangerous advice.

If you care to learn more about this, I would suggest Rippetoe and Kilgore's _Starting Strength: Basic Barbell Training_. Both authors are highly regarded strength coaches at the national level, and the second author is a professor of anatomy. The book will explain this much better than I can.

B_jacknapier

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
Squats are THE BEST EXERCISE. Working such a large muscle group with weight resistance increases your metabolism and testosterone levels.

3 cheers for SQUATS!!!

Hugh Mann

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Squats are THE BEST EXERCISE. Working such a large muscle group with weight resistance increases your metabolism and testosterone levels.

3 cheers for SQUATS!!!

I agree 100%. If I could only do one exercise for the rest of my life, it would be squats, without question.

WifeOfBath

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Any one have any alternatives to squats for increasing the size of one's gluteous maximus? I've got bad knees and I consider myself well off if I can squat at all, so squats with weights or doing sets of squats are pretty much not an option for me....well that is if I want to be able to continue to walk lol

I have terrible knees-- major surgery twice on the left and right isn't that much better. I still do both squats and lunges and have found that by doing so my knees hurt less because I've strengthened the muscles around the joints. With a squat, your knees shouldn't bear most of the stress if you're doing them right. Ass back, back straight, knees above ankles. When you push up, you should do it with your heels of your feet. If you're doing it right you should be able to slide a piece of paper or 3 under your toes and balls of your feet. I don't squat with a lot of weight.

I use an elliptical which is great for your ass and it's very low impact on your knees. Otherwise, there are other glute exercises that aren't squats-- just do an internet search.