How men respect each other

Discussion in 'Relationships, Discrimination, and Jealousy' started by headbang8, Oct 20, 2006.

1. headbang8

Gold Member

Albums:
    This article fascinates me. How different may it be for gay men and straight men?

Is it a clue to what makes this site so successful? Or is that a shallow remark?

HB8

2. B_Hickboy

B_Hickboy New Member

Without launching a diatribe: Yes. I value the opinions of other men highly. Not above my own, but there is comfort in knowing that other males respect me.

I get that type of respect at LPSG, and I perceive that it has nothing to do with penis size. I love being a man, and I love other men. I love what it means to be a man. There are things I have in common with other men, be they gay, straight, black, white, yellow, Jewish, Buddhist, Muslim... None of those things matter. Male energy, and the way men share it with each other. do.

As for what makes this place function as well as it does most of the time? Who knows? I just know that it's fun, and we have some really fine people who belong to this site.

3. dannymawg

Gold Member

"The Tasmanian-based study is investigating how men's body image and self-esteem differ from women's."

Something tells me a lot of trees are going to suffer, because that will be a big fuckin book.

I get to see both sides of this one - as someone who's opening the closet door. At first glance, straight guys are way more prone to escalating a respect war. I've also witnessed plenty of gay catfights that were so vicious and insult-ridden, only to watch them kiss and make up.

Respect, in any form regardless of gender, is a subjective... I dunno - judgement call? You know your place and that of others. Dependent more on the situation (or the topic) it would seem...

F'instance: I have no respect for those guys that drive Fords :biggrin1:

4. DC_DEEP

Gold Member

Maybe I am missing the point here, but from my frame of reference, the author of that article makes no distinction between "respect" and "admiration". Yes, it is a fine line of semantic distinction, and I'm not even really sure how I would describe the difference. I do know that there are people whom I respect, but do not admire; and there are people whom I admire but do not respect. Now that I think about it, I admire traits, and respect people. Or not.

5. MattBrick

MattBrick Member

Albums:
    I think what's interesting here is that it says, that both men and women, care more about what men think of them than what women do.

Draft saved Draft deleted