How much are Apartment rents in your area?

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by Mem, Oct 6, 2007.

1. Mem

Mem
    Gold Member

For a small one bedroom apartment in my area you would be lucky to find one for $800.

2. avg_joe

Gold Member

$500 in San Francisco including utilities and cable. It's not an apartment though. One bedroom, shared kitchen and bathroom. But my roommate does not use kitchen.

3. koval

Gold Member

In Dublin Ireland the average cost for a one bedroom apartment can range from €800 to €1200/month (add on 30% to convert to dollars) and utilities will always be extra.

4. simcha

Gold Member

In my neighborhood it's $825 minimum for a studio, and $925 minimum for a one bedroom. This is not including utilities or cable.

I pay less because I've lived in the same building for 5 years and we have rent control in Oakland.

5. silvertriumph2

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I have a small, 1 bedroom apartment (entrance area, living room, dining area, kitchen, bedroom, bath, 2 closets) in a 5 story walk-up brownstone, ca. 1850. I live on the top floor. Rentals for a 1 bedroom, on my street, are from $2,200 to $5,000+ per month, without utilities or cable, and steadily rising.

It was a private home, but converted into apartments in about 1910, and then renovated in 1968. It is located on a quite street, and in a tree lined neighborhood of only brownstones, where most are 4 to 6 stories. It is the "old New York" residential meighborhood, of upper middleclass, of yesteryear. But now, it is quickly becoming a neighborhood for the wealthy young to convert the apartment houses back to single family homes. Of course this displaces those that have lived here in apartments for many decades. The buildings are selling, at present, for upwards of 3 to 5 million dollars, before the reconversion to single family homes.

6. canuck_pa

Gold Member

Small (600 sq. ft.) anywhere from $ 1200 to $ 2700 depending on what floor and the view. To buy, prices start at about $ 500 per sq. ft up to $ 2000 a sq. ft.

The average price for a small house that needs to either be demolished or major renovation is $ 750,000

7. SyddyKitty

Gold Member

Albums:
    Last time I checked, 500-750 a month. Not too bad for living by a community college, right?

8. ZOS23xy

Gold Member

Albums:
    I haven't rented since 1988. I have an 18+ acre farm and the mortgage is about $1100 a month for the 2400 square foot house...heating it is hell in the winter...

9. Principessa

Gold Member

In my area 1BR/1BA apartments vary greatly in cost. Apartments may be obtained as low as $475 per month or as high as $1200 per month.

As a single woman if I were looking to move right now I wouldn't look at anything under $700-$750, not because I am rich but because the really inexpensive places tend to have high crime rates.

That's ludicrous! You may as well live in Orange County, CA.

10. pdsover

pdsover New Member

Albums:
    For a one bed, study and alfresco on the 31st floor I pay AUS$1320/month which isn't too bad. They can get up to $2000/month

11. Osiris

Gold Member

In our area (East Seattle Suburbs), we had a 3 bedroom, 2 bathroom, with patio, fireplace, bay windows, a huge kitchen, gym on site, pool, amazing clubhouse and a private garage for $1,150/month.

12. D_Martin van Burden

D_Martin van Burden Account Disabled

3 bedroom, 2 bath, pretty nice open spread, bar kitchen, patio on the second floor. It's a little over $1,000 a month, utilities not included.

13. lafever

Gold Member

Albums:
    In huntsville alabama i pay $400 dollars a month for a two bedroom apartment with front and back decks and doors, a dishwasher, washer & dryer, large fireplace and mantle with a crowned ceiling in the family room and sliding glass door in a wrap around kitchen.

lafever

14. Principessa

Gold Member

Sounds great, do you need a roommate?

That's quite a deal, but the trade off is you have to live in Alabama. :tongue::biggrin1::tongue: Sorry, I just couldn't resist.

15. lafever

Gold Member

Albums:

Yea, but when i build my house on the lake i`ll forget all about where i`m at.

lafever

16. dcwrestlefan

Gold Member

my 650 sf 1br is $1358 a month. i live 15 miles from downtown washington dc. this is not a low cost area.

17. DC_DEEP

Gold Member

From 2002 to 2005, when my partner and I lived in Falls Church, we had a small (about 1050 sq.ft.) 3 bedroom apartment. We had a tiny balcony (3 people at a time, no more), a fairly nice pool that was only open much during regular business hours so we didn't get to use it much, a "gym" with one weight machine, 2 treadmills and 2 stationary bikes, and no reserved parking. Our rent started at $1500 per month, and went up every year we were there. When we went "month-to-month" while looking for a place to buy, they bumped the rent up to $1750.

Our mortgage payment is about $2800 per month, but we are way out in the sticks.

18. IntoxicatingToxin

Gold Member

Wow... you can get apartments for radically different prices here. You can get a two bedroom/two bath apartment within a few miles of each other for anywhere from $600/month to $1200/month.

19. simcha

Gold Member

God do I miss Davenport, Iowa. I had an 850 sq. feet two bedroom apartment with a dishwasher, utility room, central heat and central airconditioning, back patio with room for an herb garden, sliding glass door to the back patio, loads of space, and I could afford to have maid service every other Friday. I paid $530.00 per month. I felt rich!

20. Dorian_Gray

Gold Member

Albums:
    Well my family bought a house a couple of years ago then last year moved out to upstate NY, so they just gave it to me. It's 1600 a month, but thats not an apartment, thats 5bdr, 3 1/2 bath, sunporch, 3 car garage, and a guest house over the garage.

Draft saved Draft deleted