How Much did Gas cost when you First Started Driving?

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
It was in the 80's and I think it cost around $1 a gallon.

D

deleted3782

I didn't have a car and drive until I was well into college, but I can remember as recently as 1999 and 2000 buying gas for 75 cents a gallon.

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I didn't have a car and drive until I was well into college, but I can remember as recently as 1999 and 2000 buying gas for 75 cents a gallon.

I drove then, and don't remember it being that low.

silvertriumph2

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
I started driving at 14 and really don't remember the cost at that time.
I would just go in and ask for a dollars worth at a time, ask them to
check the oil, tires, and clean the windshielf. SOME NERVE, HUH?
I think gas was about 30 cents a gallon...the same price as a pack of
cigarettes at the time.

Mem...when I visited family in Georgia and Alabama in 1999/2000,
at the small combi gas stations/food markets in rural areas, you could still
get it for $.79 or $.89 cents a gal. I would drive around (wasting gase)
to search them out for the lowest price. At the big name stations, it was
over $1.00 a gallon at that time.

arktrucker

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
I remember coasting empty into the FastGas (I think it was 1/2 water) and my friends and I scraping up .17 to buy a gallon of gas to get home.

hypoc8

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Got my license in '80, I'm guessing between .79 & 1.00\gallon. Those were the good ole days huh?

rawbone8

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I started driving in 1972. It was something like 38¢ Cdn. per gallon. This was for an Imperial gallon not the US gallon. Its volume was something like 1.2 US gallons, so the real price would have been lower, expressed in US dollars. We also have a lot of provincial and federal taxes included in fuel, so the price is usually higher in Canada.

That said, it may seem pretty low, but adjusted for inflation, gas was really much cheaper in 1998-1999 when it was around $1.00 per gallon. We were spoiled by the cheapest fuel (inflation adjusted) since the 1950s at that brief period. No wonder we bitch about the price quadrupling 10 years later in 2008.

Inflation has to be taken into account if people are comparing. Gas was really expensive in the early 1980s when the Iraq-Iran war reduced world oil supplies. If gas prices from that period were inflation adjusted they would be as expensive or higher than the gas prices we suffered with last summer, at over $4.00 per gallon.

Cars in the early 70s had pretty poor performance in miles per gallon. Generally it was below 20 mpg. It's not so bad today as we think.

Last edited:

B_Morning_Glory

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
i ask my hubby this one being as he is older than me LOL, he said when he first got his permit he could buy a gal,of gas and a qt,of oil from certified gas station for 50 cents. also when we were married gas was 80 cents a gal, i remember how he would gripe at the cost of a qt, oil was 79 cents, he would say that they keep raising stuff and know body's going to be able to afford any thing. boy was he ever right about that even way back then. he had a 76 caddy. [ i called it his air craft carrier lol. long black and all chromed out, ] an we took that on our Honey moon. he had to add some oil be for we got home, and he hated to pay the price they ask. now he wishes those days were back. and so do i, was the best of times reminiscing here, but oh for the good Ole days again. oh an by the way the total trip cost us $52. for gas alone we went out of state and stayed for 2 days he had his trucking business then an we couldn't stay away long. but hasn't times sure changed price wise from then to now.

B_Morning_Glory

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I started driving in 1972. It was something like 38¢ Cdn. per gallon. This was for an Imperial gallon not the US gallon. It's volume was something like 1.2 US gallons, so the real price would have been lower, expressed in US dollars. We also have a lot of provincial and federal taxes included in fuel, so the price is usually higher in Canada.

That said, it may seem pretty low, but adjusted for inflation, gas was really much cheaper in 1998-1999 when it was around $1.00 per gallon.

Inflation has to be taken into account if people are comparing. Gas was really expensive in the early 1980s when the Iraq-Iran war reduced world oil supplies. If gas prices from that period were inflation adjusted they would be as expensive or higher than the gas prices we suffered with last summer, at over $4.00 per gallon.

i know some what about the money exchange you speak ofhere,as when my hubby would go to Canada he would try to keep all the American cash he could for his return trips back to the states, as he said when he stopped to buy fuel he would spend a $ 50 bill for fuel and didn't get much for the money if it was Canada money, but when he used American he got much more. so he managed to keep both types for his frequent trips an it worked out well after that. but you are so right here.

B_Nick4444

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
price of gas wasn't where my attention was in those days ...

I really couldn't say ... (don't even pay much attention these days)

Last edited: