how much do spend on gas a week?

B_Marius567

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
my truck get 26 MPG highway and spend 20.00 a week on gas
I live 2.5 miles from work. it must be depressing to have a long drive to work now

at 3.07 a gallon can be costly

NCbear

Superior Member
Media
Greensboro (North Carolina, United States)
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
No offense, dong, but I'm concerned about $3/gal gas now as opposed to $2/gal gas last year and $1/gal gas within the past three or four years, not gas prices 20 years ago.

NCbear (who's having to reassess his personal budget now that gas is 3 times as expensive as it was just a few years ago)

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
No offense, dong, but I'm concerned about $3/gal gas now as opposed to $2/gal gas last year and $1/gal gas within the past three or four years, not gas prices 20 years ago.

NCbear (who's having to reassess his personal budget now that gas is 3 times as expensive as it was just a few years ago)

None taken and I agree.

But my point wasn't meant to dismiss the reality that pump prices have more than trebled in the last 5 years. We all become attuned to certain cost levels and when these rise sharply it hurts. In essense, what I was meaning was that the days of cheap fuel are probably just about over and that realisation is now being felt in our wallets.

This will sound rather harsh but, you (the US) largely brought this pain on yourselves, with a largely head in the sand approach to what you all knew was coming (and if you didn't then I have even less sympathy). This will sound equally harsh; but outside the Mid East, the US still has perhaps the cheapest petrol in the world, regardless of how expensive you think it is.

Of course, finding a solution requires some serious technological innovation and a fair degree of social (re)engineering ...:smile:

NCbear

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Y'know, even though I love to drive my car, I just bought a book about how to live without cars. Plus, my man and I have four bicycles.

I'm really thinking about it.

NCbear (who's sure that only the rainy and snowy days would be bad days to ride) :smile:

Ethyl

Legendary Member
Media
Philadelphia (Pennsylvania, United States)
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
This will sound rather harsh but, you (the US) largely brought this pain on yourselves, with a largely head in the sand approach to what you all knew was coming (and if you didn't then I have even less sympathy). This will sound equally harsh; but outside the Mid East, the US still has perhaps the cheapest petrol in the world, regardless of how expensive you think it is.

Of course, finding a solution requires some serious technological innovation and a fair degree of social (re)engineering ...:smile:

Yeah, reliable public transportation would be nice right now. One of the reasons I chose my new job was the distance in driving time. 15-20 minutes as opposed to one hour. Now if we had a decent bus or subway system...

NCbear

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
We have reliable public transportation. The only problem is, it's not convenient. At all. A stupid hub and spoke -based set of routes means you have to travel 1.5+ hours to go 5 miles. AIGHH.

And please don't suggest a subway to a Southerner. Leaving aside concerns about floods and hurricanes in some places near the ocean, subways are sandwich shops, not realistic mass transit options--because we have no infrastructure developed for them. NONE.

It'll be a sad day down here in the Southern USA when gas reaches $5+/gal and people have to burn those fried-chicken calories to get somewhere. Using Pat and Charley, their own two feet.

NCbear (who's eagerly anticipating the tone of the news announcers' comments when that day comes)