How Much Do You Dare to Tell?

awellhungboi: You may be right, Throb. Either that or my delightful insouciance seems to keep the stalkers coming back for more.

AnonyMs: [quote author=throb919 link=board=meetgreet;num=1064004866;start=20#39 date=09/23/03 at 11:28:01]Okay, okay--I'll wash the dishes at the next Ladies Auxiliary meeting.[/quote]Sweetie - we use paper plates when we gather. But since you offered, perhaps we will pull out the fine china and real silver for our next soiree!

7x6andchg: I LOVE the word "insouciance" Monstro...

That said, I think I'm a pretty trusting person overall...primarily because I like to think I know when I'm at risk or being bullshitted...bullshat? Whatever...

7x6&C

jackinman: Well I try to keep it safe also. I just give general information like the state and borough where I live. But I definately wouldn't give my exact address on the internet.

Finnmark: I think that most of the posts to this thread may be US-based - though might be wrong.

I'm often interested in the international aspect of LPSG, and how our different backgrounds, societies, cultures etc. affect our attitudes to the many subjects that get an airing here.

I was wondering how our own societies may help/hinder us in 'being ourselves', or rather 'being known'. I've never found Britain helpful, to say the least. By contrast, I've a friend in Holland (so know that country quite well) where there is absolutely no problem. I find I have to organise myself into two parallel personalities, not necessarily conflicting but strangely separate, and that's not good.

Valkyrie: [quote author=Finnmark link=board=meetgreet;num=1064004866;start=40#44 date=09/24/03 at 04:07:55]I'm often interested in the international aspect of LPSG, and how our different backgrounds, societies, cultures etc. affect our attitudes to the many subjects that get an airing here.
[/quote]

It is an interesting subject, and something that surely affects us all. Having worked with people from varying backgrounds, walks-of-life and cultures I can personally attest to the fact that even in such an "innocent" setting as the workplace, these differences can be almost overwhelming.

Extending those differences to the subject of sexuality and other topics discussed here and I'd imagine you create even more controversy. :)

Even though the Scandinavian culture in general is quite open regarding sexuality - in media, film, literature, sexual education etc - there are still issues that are not entirely socially accepted to discuss. Especially issues regarding your own, personal sexuality. In a nutshell - sex in general, fine; something about your own sexuality and preferences, slightly embarrasing.

A preference for certain types of sex (D/s or other types of BDSM, younger/older than yourself (within legal limits of course), swinging) are still almost taboo to bring up.

A preference for a larger than average size would almost certainly be scoffed at - the general pretext being - "it's the motion of the ocean, not the size of the boat".

A generally outspoken attitude towards sex in general is not always welcome. And no, I don't mean that I bring up the subject at the workplace, waiting in line or with total strangers. But even in a setting where the conversation turns to sex (e.g. with close friends) there can be awkward moments.

That's why I sometimes find Internet settings more welcoming than actual meetings in real life. It is much easier to find like-minded people in a population consisting of the world, instead of just one city/country...

/Val

ORCABOMBER: [quote author=norseman link=board=meetgreet;num=1064004866;start=0#0 date=09/19/03 at 13:45:26]Ok, I was just replying to the "what city do you live in" thread, and realized, apparently along with Pecker, that I'm very reluctant to get too specific on the internet about where I live.  For that matter I'm reluctant to say who I am and what I (and my big dick) look like by posting a photo.  Clearly that is not the case for all of us.  Why ?
Personally, as a professional, it would be extremely awkward for me if clients knew I was bisexual, had a big dick and was telling (and showing) the world about it on the internet.   I don't know that my career could survive it.  How about the rest of you.  Any fears of present or future repercussions ?
[/quote]
Personally, I tend to dish out stuff a bit at a time, but I NEVER let my face and my thing be identified at the same time. That just has to be done, because the net does tend to associate stuff. Try typing your net or "real" name and see what you pick up on Yahoo as a horrid example.

I'm not specific at all, because since most of you are American, you wouldn't get where I was anyway, and the Brits don't need to know! :p

D_Martin van Burden

Account Disabled
Media
I've actually done a Google search on my own name, just for curiosity's sake.

The greatest number of hits are for my blog, of course, but I get secondary mention at video game websites (i.e. [link=http://www.gamefaqs.com]GameFAQs.com[/link]), my alma mater (Transylvania University), and on a couple of online petitions I have signed (i.e. protesting the war, supporting the Human Rights Campaign).

Nothing too incriminating as of yet...

ORCABOMBER: Well Dee, there's not problem there, for you. (BTW, sorry, I've been gone for so long!) because your name is not extremely unique, like mine, but if it is and you're around online.. with the same alias, that's when it causes problems, I'd assume, but at the end of the day, I think it's better to watch your back, or dick in this case! :D

47boreas: [quote author=norseman link=board=meetgreet;num=1064004866;start=0#0 date=09/19/03 at 13:45:26]Ok, I was just replying to the "what city do you live in" thread, and realized, apparently along with Pecker, that I'm very reluctant to get too specific on the internet about where I live.  For that matter I'm reluctant to say who I am and what I (and my big dick) look like by posting a photo.  Clearly that is not the case for all of us.  Why ?

Personally, as a professional, it would be extremely awkward for me if clients knew I was bisexual, had a big dick and was telling (and showing) the world about it on the internet.   I don't know that my career could survive it.  How about the rest of you.  Any fears of present or future repercussions ?

Norse

[/quote]

I have to keep some things secret especially when I live in a small country which population is smaller than in New York or London.  Besides I live outside the capitol, which is the only rather big city here. I have told my education but I could never tell my profession as then it would be very easy to recognize me here.

:-X

B_DoubleMeatWhopper

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Some people may think that I'm way too open and share too much personal information about myself here. Well, maybe in one way. Many of my friends and my brothers read the posts here, and they picked up on a particular detail. One of my fellow dancers who reads LPSG came up behind me and asked, "How's that wovewy Watino wamwod?" Now I get the Elmer Fudd impression from friends and bros every day! I guess it could be worse.

throb919: DMW--I am shocked that anyone would pick-up on that and "use" it on you. Shocked, I tell you!

Incweduwouswy,
Tony

(I tried so hard not to do that. I really did...!)

ORCABOMBER: DMW, I am still surprised that your brothers know! I can't tell them about my "adult" net life!! :-[

norseman: Maybe its a cultural thing, or something. My family is a bunch of uptight Yankees and I have no knowledge whatsoever about the size of my brothers' dicks and I assume that they don't know about mine. They also have no idea that I go on line to talk about dick size issues with a bunch of anonymous net buddies. I kinda like it that way. It also may have something to do with a change in cultural attitudes. We're all over 45 at this point and although I see a lot of younger people who are very guarded about their bodies (back to the locker room paranoia), there seems to be a lot more frank TALK about body issues now than when we were all younger. I think the 'net has inspired that and it has carried over into everyday life... just a thought.

Norse

Inwood: I don't think I'll ever post a lot about myself. Not so much because I'm worried about being found out. I always think people know I'm gay the minute they meet me. I'm just kind of private. (Then why do you sunbathe naked ;D on the riverbank in a large city?)

I've had nude pictures taken of me by friends who do art photography. If that got on the web I'd not worry about it. If someone said something I'd say I was helping the arts.

But unlike a large number of members I wouldn't have people dying to see how big I was. I mean I'm okay looking but let's face it probably 20 percent of the population are my size in the dick department. However I have been told it's really nice looking (blush) and feels really good to suck on. Who am I to argue?

But would I post naked pictures, probably not. My face...well if someone wanted to see what I looked like I might send it. But not just off the bat. Except for some of you who have posted about a thousand times then I think I would feel safe about it. Otherwise I'd probably hold off until I feel I got a handle on who was asking.

7x6andchg: Inwood, I've posted well...almost a 1000 times...and I still like to chat with someone a few times - or at least for a while - before I'll send a face pic.

Speaking of pics - I need a new avatar....

7x6&C

B_DoubleMeatWhopper

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
[quote author=ORCABOMBER link=board=meetgreet;num=1064004866;start=40#52 date=10/01/03 at 11:19:00]DMW, I am still surprised that your brothers know! I can't tell them about my "adult" net life!!  :-[[/quote]

I don't find it so strange. My brothers certainly know about the dick; I shared a bedroom with my two older brothers, and we're all in the same size range. I just don't keep any secrets from my brothers. They're my best buds and my life is an open book to them.