How much do you pay for Cable TV or Satellite TV?

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I pay $103 per month. I was paying $60 a few months ago, but when the Sopranos was ending I got HBO. I got the Silver package that also gives me Starz and Encore, because the girl told me it was the same price. Plus now my Cable system switched to Digital and I have to rent 2 cable boxes for $6 each. I also have Howard Stern on Demand for $10 a month and HBO in Demand for $5.

If you have Satellite TV how often does it go out due to weather conditions?

Does anyone have Verizon or other new phone company TV systems?

ManlyBanisters

Sexy Member
Media
€0

I wouldn't pay for French cable / satelite - It is utter shite. I can't legally pay for a subscription to the Irish / UK channels via satelite because I live in neither country - I do live in the satelite footprint though - so I just take whatever is on Freeview.

I pay the government €116 a year for the priviledge of owning my own equipment to view satelite emissions.

The satelite used to get 'knocked out' quite easily in a strong wind til I took the socket set to it for the umpteenth time and finally got it right. Heavy rain / snow will fuck up reception - it's rare though. I unplug the coax cable manually if a heavy electrical storm comes too close - though that is a bit paranoid of me - the dish is not the highest thing on the house and the house is nowhere near the highest in the immediate surrounds.

Axcess

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I don't pay for cable because I don't watch tv . To much crap this days. The only channels that are worth to watch are the discovery , science ones.

Northland

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I have basic and resolutely refuse to pour one penny more towards those greedy bastards of Time Warner. It currently runs at about $24.00 per month, if I were to add Standard there would be another $30.00 or more and HBO or Showtime of any other premium would add more as they were tacked on along with increased tax. There really is not enough of quality on television for me to locate justification for throwing away my money beyond the need of a decent signal (hence my payment for basic which also nets me the Food Channel, Bravo, TBS and C-Span and C-Span2). One of the worst things which Time Warner has is their ever increasing franchise fee- last August it was $1.40, in November it was $1.47 and in December it went up to $1.48. The increase in the franchise fee helps the cable companies keep true to their word that thye are not raising your cable costs- and of course they will not under any circumstances explain to you what a franchise fee is- not they have to. It is obviously just a way to line the golden pockets of the executives a little more.

vince

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
38 dollars a month for satellite. I get 12 movie channels, 3 cartoon channels, 6 sports channels, BBC Prime, ZDF, TV5, a russian channel, BBC, Euronews, CNN, Aljezzera English, History, Nat Geo Wild, CNBC, MTV and 5 or 6 other music channels, plus about 30 Turkish channels.

I feel that it's a pretty good deal, although I only really watch 10-15 hrs per week.

Love-it

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Around $80.00 without Starz or Encore. I would like to get a High Def 50-60" plasma or LCD tv and pay the $5 extra per month for satellite High Def but I can't afford the tv.

oneguy67

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
$0

I put a large old-fashioned antenna in my attic and bought an LCD TV with a digital tuner (they all have them now). Now I get crystal clear digital TV pictures (some in HD) for free. Granted, it's only the local stations, but being 50 miles from a major city, I get 11 main channels in English, 3 or four Spanish channels, and several sub-channels, all for free.

If you get a watchable (but maybe snowy) picture off of regular rabbit ears now, you might want to give digital a try.

Dorian_Gray

Cherished Member
Media
well, I have a 15mb/s dsl2+ connection, a sony bravia flat panel, and a media center pc hooked to it. I can stream all my abc shows in Full HD for free! Plus anything that is HD on iTunes and Joost for PC, so I guess that equates to about $149, but it's always what I want to watch and mostly always in HD,
and with a media center extender to my bedroom it's great. I can share all my music, movies, and tv anywhere to any tv in the house.

I REFUSE TO PAY FOR SATELLITE OR F'in CABLE!

simcha

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I pay $0.

When I moved into this place I plugged in the coax cable to my television, and it worked. I had basic cable TV. Voilà!

I lived across the hall from this place and I knew that the 2 previous tenants had the same luck. Apparently the cable company never turned off the basic cable to this appartment when someone left over 5 years ago.

So, it's not really stealing, because, well, it just works. Can I help it if the dumb cable company doesn't do it's job and shut off the signal when a customer leaves? Heh. Heh. Heh....

ThisSpace4Rent

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
0 dollars.

We used to have Dish Network, but we weren't watching it enough to warrant the monthly fees.

So now we just have broadcast television, and we also maintain a Netflix account ($18 a month or so for 3 movies at a time).

Anything that would've come out on Cable that we want to watch (like Battlestar Galactica or Monk) we can just rent from Netflix once it's out on DVD.

Daily show & Colbert report are the only shows I miss, but those are available through Comedy Central's website for a couple bucks a month so I must not miss them that much or I'd be watching them :)

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
About £55 for cable but that includes broadband and phone but not movies or sports. I don't watch TV that much. Too many of the channels are merely repeating the same crap they showed just an hour before. Most of the rest just showing are plain old crap, though thankfully repeated less often.

No wait, add about £35 for sky which I keep forgetting to cancel. Thanks for reminding me!

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I am in Georgia and have Comcast Cable and pay $129 for Digital Plus service + Internet + Phone. We can call anywhere in the continental USA or Canada for as long as we want and it's included in the $129. We don't have any movie channels though.

When I was in New Jersey I had Monmouth Cable, then Ocean County Cable, then when I moved to Gloucester County I had DirecTv LOVED it! It went out once for maybe 3 hours during the summer of 2002 but that was during a major rain storm that hit the mid-Atlantic states. It went out for maybe 2 hours during that bad snow storm back in January of 2005 but by then I was living back in Monmouth County.

I had the Digital Silver package + internet with Comcast Cable when I lived in Lawrenceville, NJ but they sucked! :mad: The service was expensive and spotty at best. It would go out in broad daylight with no clouds in the sky. :mad: What's up with that?:confused: Maybe it was my location.
If I were still in Jersey I would have gone back to DirecTv.

I pay $103 per month. I was paying $60 a few months ago, but when the Sopranos was ending I got HBO. I got the Silver package that also gives me Starz and Encore, because the girl told me it was the same price. Plus now my Cable system switched to Digital and I have to rent 2 cable boxes for $6 each. I also have Howard Stern on Demand for $10 a month and HBO in Demand for $5.

If you have Satellite TV how often does it go out due to weather conditions?

Does anyone have Verizon or other new phone company TV systems?

hot-rod

Legendary Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I don't pay for cable because I don't watch tv . To much crap this days. The only channels that are worth to watch are the discovery , science ones.
Amen to that. What really bugs me too with the high cost is the increasing amounts of commercials. More and more commercial time in everything and we are having to pay for this. Most things that I watch, I recorded on DVR from Time Warner. Thank God for the zapper, but still far too many commercials and less time alloted for programming.?????

Deno

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I also don't pay for tv. I have a roof top antenna and a digital receiver and get 11 stations that are pretty good signal strength. I get all the local and major networks like nbc cbs abc cw fox and witf(pbs) all have two channels each nbc and abc have there weather channels. It Ok' I don't mind roughing it. I allready went thru a digital receiver so its not totally free if you have to keep buying a new receiver every few years.

transformer_99

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Bad weather you ask, after hurricanes, Comcast is down for weeks, even months. Satellite is back up when your power comes back on, because you need electricity to run the tv. So the longest without electricity for me was 5-6 days. Comcast was down over 2 weeks. One thing about bundling cable/internet & phone, when your cable goes out, so does your phone and internet.

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Bad weather you ask, after hurricanes, Comcast is down for weeks, even months. Satellite is back up when your power comes back on, because you need electricity to run the tv. So the longest without electricity for me was 5-6 days. Comcast was down over 2 weeks. One thing about bundling cable/internet & phone, when your cable goes out, so does your phone and internet.

That's the beauty of living in New Jersey, it's pretty much God's country in that we rarely get the worst of any weather system. :biggrin1: :cool: :smile: By the time a hurricane hits NJ it's just some rain and wind.

Here in Georgia, Comcast buries the cables. As for the phone issue, we have 2 cell phones should the landline ever go out.