How Much Do You Tip Stylist's Assistant?

Enid

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
I generally only get a haircut once a year, though the recent situation is that I last got a cut early 2019 or late 2018? Not going now until Texas gets its shit together.

While I need one so freakin bad right now, I don't have any friends that I'd trust to do it. I need someone to thin my hair, not only trim or cut it, and I don't know anyone who could do that (it's very coarse hair, it lays much nicer when it's thinned out). I wish I did!

My sis offered to shear it and I have considered it. I could get wigs, right?

Serial Kisser

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I've been trying to find someone new to do my hair, and it's been since Feb that I had it done. I was hoping it would help me shake off some of this "The US is a dumpster fire and I don't know what's going on with my job" blues. It didn't really lol. Just made me feel like I shouldn't be spending money on this. And that my hair color doesn't really matter?

Scarletbegonia

Worshipped Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
Asexual
It's been so long since I let anyone touch my hair I honestly have no idea.

I don't do the salon. At all.
Wow, that sign would have made me think differently, too. What's the etiquette in this case, tip 20% of the total to stylist and 20% to assistant?? That seems excessive. And geez, I'd kinda feel like a dick giving 15% to stylist and 5% to assistant.
id look at your local labor laws. in Colorado, service providers can be hired on piecework, meaning they can sit three hours waiting in one client and because the rate on that one service is equivalent (barely) to minimum wage, that’s all they get.
Yet, on call gets a base rate plus the services

Reactions: Enid

Tight_N_Juicy

Mythical Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
Pansexual
I've been trying to find someone new to do my hair, and it's been since Feb that I had it done. I was hoping it would help me shake off some of this "The US is a dumpster fire and I don't know what's going on with my job" blues. It didn't really lol. Just made me feel like I shouldn't be spending money on this. And that my hair color doesn't really matter?

I'll just say that if I was the type to salon, right now I'd be avoiding it wether or not I lived in a state where cases were on the rise.

People call me paranoid. I'm perfectly fine with that.

Reactions: MickeyLee

LaFemme

Mythical Member
Staff
Verified
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
I did get my hair cut at my salon, but it’s a pretty small business. The owner is the only stylist, and he has a couple staff that do nails. The rules for re-opening for pretty strict here.

When I walked in, I had to wipe my feet on a mat to sanitize my shoes. He gave me a surgical mask upon entering. I had to sanitize my hands. There was a limit on how many people in the salon. There were only four of us in the place. No sitting and waiting inside. He wore a mask and face shield. Not allowed to use a blow dryer or the big dryers. I gotta say - I felt pretty safe. He’s a good friend, too. And I tipped him well.

cherryboom66

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
Pansexual
I did get my hair cut at my salon, but it’s a pretty small business. The owner is the only stylist, and he has a couple staff that do nails. The rules for re-opening for pretty strict here.

When I walked in, I had to wipe my feet on a mat to sanitize my shoes. He gave me a surgical mask upon entering. I had to sanitize my hands. There was a limit on how many people in the salon. There were only four of us in the place. No sitting and waiting inside. He wore a mask and face shield. Not allowed to use a blow dryer or the big dryers. I gotta say - I felt pretty safe. He’s a good friend, too. And I tipped him well.
Just reading that freaks me out. Don’t think I’ll ever be leaving my apartment ever again!

Scarletbegonia

Worshipped Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
Asexual

my regulatory agency has specified face shields for us.
I’m not happy. More PPE to pay for, clientele down, all the space owners have dropped prices, and I’m percentage based with pay.

Contracts will have minimums from here on out.