How much does GASOLINE cost in your area?

fratpack

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
During the Summer my bf and I drive up and down the East Coast from Washington, DC up through New England and have found the best prices are by far in New Jersey.

findfirefox

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I don't pay to much attention to gas prices myself but its around 2.60 in Portland, OR.

My bus/train fares are going up 5 cents in September thanks to Inflation/Gas Prices. :-/

AlteredEgo

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
What is "dearer" we don't use that term here.

But the dictionaries still do.
1 obsolete : [SIZE=-1]NOBLE[/SIZE]
2 : highly valued : [SIZE=-1]PRECIOUS[/SIZE] <a dear friend> -- often used in a salutation <dear Sir>
3 : [SIZE=-1]AFFECTIONATE[/SIZE], [SIZE=-1]FOND[/SIZE]
4 : high or exorbitant in price : [SIZE=-1]EXPENSIVE[/SIZE] <eggs are very dear just now>
5 : [SIZE=-1]HEARTFELT[/SIZE] <our dearest prayers>

See definition 4 for the context in which you found it.

B_henry miller

Expert Member
Media
But public transportation is more prevalent in Europe. In the US, people have been more encouraged to use their cars. In other words, we have further to drive in this country.

We had a thread about this before and I still think many Americans are whinging over nothing.

Here (Ireland)
1.18 / litre (4€47 per gallon - app $6.12 per gallon)

Where I live (France)
1.31 / litre (4€96 per gallon - app $6.80 per gallon)

Other countries - do the maths yourself!: AA Ireland : Petrol Prices

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
During the Summer my bf and I drive up and down the East Coast from Washington, DC up through New England and have found the best prices are by far in New Jersey.

Yup! NJ usually has the least expensive gas in the north east. In addition, New Jersey is one of only two states in which it is illegal to pump your own gas (This is why NJ is God's Country :biggrin1:). The other is Oregon. Connecticut has the highest gas prices north of DC.

vince

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
Gasoline is about $9.00 per U.S. gallon here in Turkey. It costs about $125.00 to fill the tank of my Ford Focus. There is no self-service. On the other hand, I get a complete hand-wash inside and out for four bucks and the car is beautifully cleaned.

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Gasoline is about $9.00 per U.S. gallon here in Turkey. It costs about $125.00 to fill the tank of my Ford Focus. There is no self-service. On the other hand, I get a complete hand-wash inside and out for four bucks and the car is beautifully cleaned.

I'd rather have a dirty car than pay $9 a gallon. Arund here a full service (in and out ) wash is $12 , or just the outside is $6 and you can vacuum it yourself for $1 more. I pay$2.52 and don't have to pump it myself.

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
1 obsolete : [SIZE=-1]NOBLE[/SIZE]
2 : highly valued : [SIZE=-1]PRECIOUS[/SIZE] <a dear friend> -- often used in a salutation <dear Sir>
3 : [SIZE=-1]AFFECTIONATE[/SIZE], [SIZE=-1]FOND[/SIZE]
4 : high or exorbitant in price : [SIZE=-1]EXPENSIVE[/SIZE] <eggs are very dear just now>
5 : [SIZE=-1]HEARTFELT[/SIZE] <our dearest prayers>

See definition 4 for the context in which you found it.

Wow, I would never have guessed that dearer meant expensive. I would sooner think that you were milking deer.

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Right now it's somewhere around $2.80 a gallon in Baltimore.
Slightly higher closer to DC...

I'm not moaning. I can remember when it was as little as 18 cents a gallon, but considering the rate at which everything else has inflated, gasoline is still a deal. We also have so many alternatives in transportation here that others may not. It's a silly thing to bitch about.
Not necessarily. Where I live, there is extremely limited bus service (commuter line only, 3 runs between 6am and 8am, eastbound only; 4 runs between 4pm and 7pm, westbound only) to the train station 10 miles away. We didn't have much choice, either, because we couldn't afford the $800,000 money pit homes any closer to work. If we drove, the 18 mile trip to work would take probably 90 minutes or more each way.

In addition, New Jersey is one of only two states in which it is illegal to pump your own gas
That blew my mind the first time I took a trip up to Atlantic City!

And for those of you who live in much smaller countries, it is worth considering that there's a big difference between driving in a country that's approximately 210,000 square kilometers and driving in a country that's approximately 9,600,000 square kilometers. Sometimes, we just have to use more gasoline, whether we want to or not.

Nrets

Experimental Member
Media
Saw 2.85 earlier in NW Los Angeles. Saw 2.52 in Memphis Tennessee 2 weeks ago. Walk quite a bit nowadays. There will come a day when gasoline is obsolete, and as a lover of the internal combustion engine, I started preparing for that a couple years ago.

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I never heard of that . We have something called Parmalat. But I think it is just regular milk sealed in a tight, heavy carton so that it will stay fresh untill opened.
No, it doesn't matter if it is hermetically sealed and placed in a lead box. Regular milk goes bad unless refrigerated.

4 : high or exorbitant in price : [SIZE=-1]EXPENSIVE[/SIZE] <eggs are very dear just now>See definition 4 for the context in which you found it.
I knew that! :smile:

Wow, I would never have guessed that dearer meant expensive. I would sooner think that you were milking deer.
You gotta be kidding me? :biggrin1: LMAO

When I went to grad school at GWU, I lived across from the Benning Road Metro stop on the blue line. It took about 45 minutes, but it was an easy commute to Foggy Bottom.

That blew my mind the first time I took a trip up to Atlantic City!
I was almost 32 before I learned how to pump gas; and that was only because I moved to Massachusetts for work.

And for those of you who live in much smaller countries, it is worth considering that there's a big difference between driving in a country that's approximately 210,000 square kilometers and driving in a country that's approximately 9,600,000 square kilometers. Sometimes, we just have to use more gasoline, whether we want to or not.
Walking to work has never been an option for me. The closest I have ever lived to any job was 4.3 miles. While I am physically capable of walking that distance with ease, I would probably have been killed by the 18-wheelers on the hwy.

Jovial

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Wow, it's close to $4 per gallon here in California now. All the post here 9 months ago were less than $3.

liberia

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
Some people are not very good at maths. Here in England, the average price is about £1-12 per litre. There are 4.54 litres per gallon, so one gallon costs 4.54 by 1.12 = £5.08 which is almost exactly $10.
I was an accountant then a maths teacher. Americans don`t know when they are lucky.