How much does GASOLINE cost in your area?

D_Thoraxis_Biggulp

Experimental Member
Media
So Kansas is where it's at, huh? Interesting...

The job does involve a good bit of overtime though, so I'll make plenty each week. Also, it's not a naked eye inspection or anything. Put 'em in some sort of scanner and a color-coded analysis pops up on the screen. It's just a matter of checking for very minute flaws in the scan.

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
England's national minimum wage is £5.52, which converts to $10.81. The US minimum wage is $5.85. That levels the playing field a bit as far as gas being more expensive over there.

Actually it doesn't. One needs to compare it to per capita GDP to make that an even remotely passable comparison.

2007 estimates:

US : $46,000
UK : $35,300

I don't know what US/UK petrol prices were when those figures where compiled but for the sake of argument let's say we put current gas prices into the mix - US gallons in both cases:

US : $4/46,000 = 0.0087%
UK : $8/35,300 = 0.023%

Thus, relative to per capita GDP, fuel in the UK is 2.6 times as expensive as in the US per US gallon. If only it were that simple.:smile:

In real terms US prices are still comparatively low, compared to say the 70s and 80s but I know that knowledge counts for nothing when prices have risen so steeply over such a short time span.

The harsh reality is that for all of us, high prices are here to stay, and barring discoveries of massive (and I mean massive) easily accessible reserves or the introduction of an ultra cheap alternative, they're likely to head upwards from this point on. People will need to adapt, the sooner we start, the less pain there will be later.

D_Thoraxis_Biggulp

Experimental Member
Media
What percentage of the people are living off of significantly less than the GDP in each nation though? The average is not the median and definitely not the mode. Honestly, everybody I know (in person) between the ages of 20 and 45 is making far below $46,000/yr. Also, you have to consider how much is taken out for tax in each nation.
I only have my own observations to go off of, but I'd be willing to bet (a small amount, mind you, I only make about half the GDP) that it balances out when all the numbers are considered.

D_Thoraxis_Biggulp

Experimental Member
Media
Also, it would be a lot easier to adapt if wages and salaries weren't so stagnant. I got this new job through the same agency that I first went to 3 years ago, and their assignments still pay around the same amount. Gas prices go up, thus basic commodities go up, property costs go up, but wages still stay the same. I'm sure that when they started cranking up the minimum wage, the idea was for it to translate into pay increases all across the board, but it hasn't worked out that way.

bs08

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Ontario, Canada

Gas = CAD$1.318 per litre

Which is... CAD$4.99 per U.S. Gallon

Which is... US$4.99 per U.S. Gallon (Today's exchange rate 1 CAD = 1.00020 USD... just a tad above par).

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
What percentage of the people are living off of significantly less than the GDP in each nation though? The average is not the median and definitely not the mode. Honestly, everybody I know (in person) between the ages of 20 and 45 is making far below $46,000/yr. Also, you have to consider how much is taken out for tax in each nation.
I only have my own observations to go off of, but I'd be willing to bet (a small amount, mind you, I only make about half the GDP) that it balances out when all the numbers are considered.

Exactly, it's not simple.

It's easy to say gas costs half as much here or twice as much there etc bit mostly it's meaningless. I imagine some think tank has worked out the real relative cost of gas per nation compared to income etc. Your (stated) income relative to GDP is nothing like mine so my perception of fuel cost will be very different to yours, and I rarely by petrol. But then I don't have to find massive health insurance premiums.

I'd still be inclined toward gas being cheaper (relative to disposable income) in the US than Europe, if for no other reason than the degree of taxation to which it's subject here. I may dig around and see if there's any 'reliable' data.

D_Thoraxis_Biggulp

Experimental Member
Media
Exactly, it's not simple.

It's easy to say gas costs half as much here or twice as much there etc bit mostly it's meaningless. I imagine some think tank has worked out the real relative cost of gas per nation compared to income etc. Your (stated) income relative to GDP is nothing like mine so my perception of fuel cost will be very different to yours, and I rarely by petrol. But then I don't have to find massive health insurance premiums.

I'd still be inclined toward gas being cheaper (relative to disposable income) in the US than Europe, if for no other reason than the degree of taxation to which it's subject here. I may dig around and see if there's any 'reliable' data.

Yeh, now I'm curious as to how it all works out.
And beyond the income spread, you have to consider commute distances, availability of public transportation, population density and fuel efficiency of domestic vehicles along with their cost. It would take a seemingly endless list of data to come up with a fair comparison, since we've already shown evidence that bringing up one set (GDP) brings up another (actual income distribution). Still, I think that at the end of it, if US gas is economically cheaper, it'll be by a very small amount.

bbristow

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
i spent NZ$1.97 a liter on petrol yesterday. normally, i've a discount voucher for 4, 6 or 8 cents a liter from grocery shopping, but we haven't done our shopping yet. i can't believe it's close to NZ$2.00 now.

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
With crude at almost $135/barrel I read today it's estimated that Diesel will reach £1.32/litre in the UK before too long, $10 per US gallon near as damn it. 'Blame' was being laid primarily at the feet of speculators.

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I filled up my Corolla today, I already had 3/8 of a tank and it took $28 to fill the rest at $3.64 a gallon. I remember less than 7 years ago $5 would get me almost half a tank. Now I never get anything less than $10 worth of gas at a time.

B_jasmin

Just Browsing
Media
Gas is to cheap in USA.

The US-People drive to much stupid ways.

Its true that US-Cars still need around 5-8 Gal. / 100 Miles?

D_Ivana Dickenside

Sexy Member
Media
everything has been over $4.00 USD for months in LA. the prices just keep climbing too. i know we stupid americans keep complaining about how bad it is here. however, compared to europe and japan, we've got it good! i hear it's over $10/gallon in england :shocked:

unabear09

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Gas is to cheap in USA.

The US-People drive to much stupid ways.

Its true that US-Cars still need around 5-8 Gal. / 100 Miles?

oh yeah forgot to add that today, I topped off the tank (put around a quarter of a tank of gas in) at $3.75....I figure tomorrow gas will be $3.80 or higher, so I figured I'd better fill up

umm i can agree with you in part about gas being cheap in the US....cheap in comparison to Europe. Do people here drive too much....yup. Problem is, that post WWII, people flocked to the suburbs, and cities with great public transportation lost their funding, and well mass transit was all but eliminated. Now our gov't has invested (use this term loosely) gas taxes to fund (poorly) road maintainance/repair, and stuff like that.

Um not sure if I'm understanding you correctly about US cars need around 5-8 gallons.....most cars on average get around 15-25 mpg, with the exception of SUV's and trucks, which at best (on the highway) get 10-15 mpg.