How much does GASOLINE cost in your area?

Mickactual

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
It's about $3.65 a gallon now here in northeastern NJ. I've been noticing it's going up about 10 cents a week. I'm trying to cut back on driving so I only have to fill up every other week, but that's hard. It costs me about $60 now to fill up.
And it affects everything: Airlines charge more now to offset. Mass transit has gone up now to offset. Hotels have gone up to offset the drop in business cos people are traveling less. Anything You buy has gone up to offset the cost of trucking the merchandise to the retailers (hello FOOD prices!).
This has gotten wayyyyy out of hand. Something needs to be done. I guess none of it should come as a suprrise with two oil barons in the White House for the past 8 years...

uncut1234

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I paid $4.07 in norcal today with a 16 gallon tank, I drive an F-250 for work, gas price's SUCK.

16 gallon tank on an f250.. haha... you dont drive an f250 obviously..
my f150 has a 24 gallon tank...

how was that post offensive? monster just pm me and said he reported me for saying that!!? lol what..?! sorry but an f250 doesnt have a 16 gallon tank... period... report me for correcting you, cry baby

sandwulf

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
$3.99 a gallon here in SE WI, And to be honest I'm getting a little tired of it.
Now everyone jump in with the following, and I'll preempt with rebuttals to some of these right now.

Buy yourself a prius.
Couple problems with this one. One being that I can't afford a new car.
between needing a down payment as well as monthly payments and add to that the insurance costs witch are quite high around here I might add. It simply isn't feasible. Second even if I could afford the new car you can't buy one locally anyways. They simply aren't available in this area. nobody has them. Not even going to go to far into the fact that the car is truly dammed ugly.

Next up is to take the bus.
I have done this before and I'll tell you this is not at all practical in the slightest in this town. 3 hours to get across town (not a large city by any means) requiring 3 transfers to do so isn't exactly useful to anyone.
besides in town driving isn't where most of the gas gets burned up anyways.
That title is saved for back and forth from here to Milwaukee for work.
A 25 minute drive to work each morning. usually 35 minutes on the way home due to traffic.

The mass transit system is so bad here that it might as well not even be in place at all. I did the math on it once. In order for me to take our lovely system to work would take almost 5 hours to accomplish. Assuming that everything was running perfectly on schedule.

Sorry about the small rant. Just getting tired of all the crap I hear from a lot of people lately that there are always alternatives. Sometimes there are none. At least no practical ones at any rate.

Right now I am paying per month in gas just under what I pay in rent for my apartment. (not including utilities)
To be honest if prices go up to the $5 per gallon that their predicting by Christmas I and many people that I know I might add will just be pretty much screwed. Not at all long till many people won't be able to get to work simply because they can't afford to pay for the gas to get there. And can't realistically get there any other way but to drive.

What will we do at that point?

End rant.

Mickactual

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
End rant.
You needn't justify Your rant. Every point You made is well taken & clearly true. In fact, to the hybrid argument I'll add: they're ridiculously priced! If the gov. and/or auto manufacturers want us to gravitate toward these, they should make them more affordable, not more expensive!

B_Monster

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
16 gallons is one tank

16 gallon tank on an f250.. haha... you dont drive an f250 obviously..
my f150 has a 24 gallon tank...

how was that post offensive? monster just pm me and said he reported me for saying that!!? lol what..?! sorry but an f250 doesnt have a 16 gallon tank... period... report me for correcting you, cry baby

transformer_99

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
As the price of a barrel of oil jumped above $ 135 today, the worst of it's not over yet.

Excite Money & Investing

[FONT=Verdana,Sans-Serif]Oil prices pass $135 after report of supply drop

[/FONT]Supply drop ? In the 1970's we were running out of oil/gasoline, what a bunch of bullshit ! I may want to go to hell just to see these @ssh*les suffer in it . Might even beg the devil for the opportunity to torture them for eternity for their greed.[FONT=Verdana,Sans-Serif][/FONT]

D_Martin van Burden

Account Disabled
Media
I caught someone on television today and he said that it was important to purchase his hybrid because he thinks that having it is better for the environment, not simply because of the tax credit or the gasoline savings. The Prius is one of the more respectably priced models out, and it would still take a few years to get a gas savings investment overall compared to how much you shell out for it. Also, Toyota hybrids get more out of city driving while Honda hybrids get more out of highway driving.

I see myself getting a hybrid eventually. Like you said, I just can't afford the payments at this time.

Anyway, I just put $20 into my tank. At $3.95 a gallon (it jumped up 23 cents since yesterday), I eked out just over five gallons, putting me at half a tank. The most I put in is $20 at a time, just because I think not filling up helps me stay cognizant of my driving habits. By the time, I drive cross country, I hope to pay $4.50 a gallon, no more than $5.

rbkwp

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Economists: Get ready for $2.50 petrol5:00AM Thursday May 22, 2008By Alanah May Eriksen Motorists will soon be paying $2 a litre for the most widely used grade of petrol, economists have warned, and the price could reach $2.50.The rises are inevitable as increasing international oil prices affect the New Zealand market.And they could get worse, Westpac economists forecast.US light crude oil reached a record US$130 a barrel on Tuesday and was just above US$129 last night.New Zealand buys Dubai crude oil, which generally costs several dollars a barrel less than the US light crude.The increase followed last week's price rises, which lifted petrol and diesel 5c a litre.The latest rise is the sixth since the beginning of last month.

vince

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
Currently the price for regular is about $11.00 per US gal.

An average worker takes home four to five dollar per hour after taxes.

I paid 135 dollars last week to fill the nearly empty tank on a Ford Focus.

lwd

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
everything has been over $4.00 USD for months in LA. the prices just keep climbing too. i know we stupid americans keep complaining about how bad it is here. however, compared to europe and japan, we've got it good! i hear it's over $10/gallon in england :shocked:

Very true....I remember hearing a year ago (or more) of fear that would ever get over $4 in CA....that was easily achieved.....

The difficult part is that the ignorant people want to go and blame the gas stations, which is the wrong thing to do. They are just the intermediaries. I have seen a number of stations close in So. Cal recently, which used to be a rarity.

earllogjam

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I caught someone on television today and he said that it was important to purchase his hybrid because he thinks that having it is better for the environment, not simply because of the tax credit or the gasoline savings.

Although they get excellent gas mileage the problem with Hybrids that never gets advertised or put into the equation are the toxic batteries that only last about 10 years before they need to be replaced. The environmental toll manufacturing and disposing millions of non recyclable toxic batteries has not been factored into the Prius equation. It is akin to people saying nuclear power is clean and plentiful and conveniently forgetting to mention the deadly waste that needs to be safely stored for thousands of years.

I've heard replacing Prius batteries will cost upwards of $6000-$10,000 or so making the car worthless in about 10 years or until the batteries give out. As the batteries age and become less effective the gas engine will take up the slack. A shorter car life means more energy and resources going to the landfills and scrap yard sooner compared to most cars these days that have a road life of well over 10 years.

So if you look a bit deeper than the marketing spinners have spoon fed you, you'll find the claims of being the ultimate green machine isn't the case at all.

transformer_99

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I caught someone on television today and he said that it was important to purchase his hybrid because he thinks that having it is better for the environment, not simply because of the tax credit or the gasoline savings. The Prius is one of the more respectably priced models out, and it would still take a few years to get a gas savings investment overall compared to how much you shell out for it. Also, Toyota hybrids get more out of city driving while Honda hybrids get more out of highway driving.

I see myself getting a hybrid eventually. Like you said, I just can't afford the payments at this time.

Anyway, I just put $20 into my tank. At $3.95 a gallon (it jumped up 23 cents since yesterday), I eked out just over five gallons, putting me at half a tank. The most I put in is $20 at a time, just because I think not filling up helps me stay cognizant of my driving habits. By the time, I drive cross country, I hope to pay $4.50 a gallon, no more than $5.

I fill up mine and refill/top it up every few days to take advantage of the lower prices, the price of gas keeps jumping, if you bought a full tank yesterday, you bought it 23 cents cheaper than today and have a full tank at the lower price. Cognizant of driving habits, I don't drive unless it's necessary. And even if I do decide to go somewhere on a whim, I know the gas I have in my car was/is 23 cents cheaper than it was yesterday, so those miles don't cost me as much until I put more gas in the vehicle, which means I'm buying it sooner again and prices are driving up each day with oil barrel prices.

BTW, Honda for 2008 has had it's hybrid EPA mpg ratings adjusted to 40 city/45 highway (used to be 49/51), Toyota Prius is better on both ratings @ 45/48 mpg. Anyway, # 1 or # 2 as close as they are, it's splitting c*nt hairs. :wink:

Compare Hybrids Side-by-Side

vince

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
Currently the price for regular is about $11.00 per US gal.

An average worker takes home four to five dollar per hour after taxes.

I paid 135 dollars last week to fill the nearly empty tank on a Ford Focus.

OMG!!! where are you???

The Republic of Turkey... we walk a lot. (only half joking)

How do people cope? There is an extensive and crowded transit system. Most workplaces either own or rent large mini-buses to transport workers to and from the job. People tend to live closer to the workplace than in N. America, drive smaller cars and there are a lot of scooters used in the cities.
LPG is available everywhere and costs about 2/3 what gas does.

Traffic is generally horrible in the cities, it's usually easier to take a bus or tram.

got_lost

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Yesterday I had to pay £1.16 a litre

It cost me £59.40 ($120) to fill up my mini! :eek:

Though to be fair... I was running on vapour the last mile to Tesco's! :tongue: