How much money do you carry on you?

cyberczar

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I'll pull out $200 out of the ATM every time I go, but that usually lasts me about 3-4 weeks.

Everything else is plastic, and I try to use plastic for *everything*.

Don't believe in debit cards, because they offer no protection against fraudulent (to the point where I cancelled my ATM/ Debit cards and *only* have an ATM card.)

However, I am a firm believer in paying off my cards in full each month (the CC companies hate me), but at least with the CCs I can tell at a glance where most of my money goes and not have to worry about getting ripped off (chargebacks are *great*!)

simcha

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I almost never have more than $100 in cash on me. I keep $4.00 in a compartment in my car for a bridge toll, just in case I somehow forget to have cash. Most of the time I carry an average of about $75. I try to have a few dollars in quarters for parking meters too.

Almost everything else I handle on a debit card. Gasoline, groceries, and other stores are usually debit card purchases. Restaurants, movies, entertainment stuff, etc. are usually cash.

However sometimes I like to use my debit card to pay for the meal at a restaurant and then I'll leave cash for the tip. That way the server can decide how much of my tip he or she will claim for income taxes.

I've eliminated the option to use credit cards for another couple of years or so until I've eliminated all of my consumer debt.

findfirefox

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I think people who leave less that $20 in their wallet at all times are foolish.

I find your ideal "foolish". My entire life I have never owned a car and I depend on public transport and my feet, I walk at a minimum two miles a day sometimes in very "shaddy" areas. At all times I keep a maximum of $10-20 in my wallet, why? I have had my wallet swiped twice and I have been mugged by some crazy bitch under a bridge once (stupid OMSI laser shows). On my person I normaly keep another 20 hidden for expenses in case I'm mugged/robbed. My cash is not insured, my debit card is.

Hell, on Tuesday I was walking and some cracked out whore attempted to rob me but her weppon of choice was a log and she was clearly unhealthy, I was able to jog calmly on to my bus stop.
With your lifestyle I would have lost at least $60 (unless I kept 200 each time) I don't really have that much money to throw around.