How much of your self worth is wrapped up in your job?

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by earllogjam, Dec 4, 2011.

1. earllogjam

Gold Member

If you were to loose your job would your self worth be lost? Your identity be in limbo? Do you define yourself by the job you have?

When people ask who or what you are do you answer by giving the name of the job you do?

#1 earllogjam, Dec 4, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2011
  2. Hand_Solo

Gold Member

What self worth?

3. ManlyBanisters

Gold Member

What job?

:dunno:

4. Endued

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    0.0000000000000724%

There's more to life than the daily grind. I fully accept that that percentage can rocket up in the right job, though.

5. ManlyBanisters

Gold Member

To answer seriously - and if we are talking about paid work - none whatsoever.

My function in life is mother to my offspring and life mate to Hickboy - my self-worth is totally bound up in those functions and the rewards I reap... well something as trifling and fleeting as financial remuneration pales in comparison.

A job is just what I do to pay the bills and allow the important work to continue.

6. vince

Gold Member

Albums:
    Since my work is creative, and I put so much of myself into it, and see myself as responsible for putting bread on the table of 56 households, I do think that how it work goes effects how I value my self worth. If the business were to go under, I would take it as a personal failure. Work is not everything, but it is a big part of life.

I judge my self worth by the happiness of my family, the health of my friendships, the security of my workers and my own honesty.

7. Ed69

Gold Member

Never had a job that lasted more than 90 days.So no.

+1 I'm a father husband and lover first what I do to pay the bills means nothing.

8. D_Ricky Dickardo

D_Ricky Dickardo New Member

I have my own business and I am really good at it, so my self-worth is pretty reliant on my work. The only other thing I have going for me is that I am a master-masturbater.

9. OhWiseOne

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I'm entering a point in my life that work and material things are becoming less important to me. That phase of "does it really mean anythig at the end of the day?".

10. B_Hickboy

B_Hickboy New Member

This is the best whorehouse I've ever played piano in.

11. alx

alx
    Gold Member

I can't imagine doing anthing else at this stage in my life. I know what i what and how to get there. So yes there's self worth in my job.

12. ronin001

Gold Member

Albums:
    I am
    I am an
    I am the.

I hate having excess time with nothing to do, so if i lost my job i would hope to fill the time with another similar title or function. Sadly I am what I do 12 hours a day.

13. redz_rule

Gold Member

No it wouldn't. I am a person completely independent of how I make my living, even though it takes up so much of my time - I don't see it as my identity.

Being a good mum is my first priority and this is tied into my self worth and identity. For me, it's the only job that matters - the other one just pays the bills and if I won the lottery tomorrow I'd walk away and never look back. The kid would come with me ;)

14. bobbyboyle

bobbyboyle New Member

I love my work and think what I do is connected to who I am in quite a strong way, so for me the answer is 'a lot'. But friends and family are still far more important in giving me meaning in my life.

15. zephyr808

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I feel like my identity is in limbo for sure, and a big part of that comes from being unemployed right now. It sucks, so then the challenge is making sure it doesn't mess with your self worth.

16. SprinkleMe69

Verified Gold Member

Verified:
    Photo
    No the job I have doesn't determine my self worth. If I lost the job tomorrow, mentally I'd be okay. Financially I wouldn't. Realistically, I'd love to quit and go back to school full time. Maybe I can do that. Working for others just isn't in me anymore.

17. MelbourneGirl

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Too much of my identity is tied up in my job. I certainly can't imagine ever retiring - I always joke they'll be carrying me out feet first. Having said that, I'm not a workaholic and love spending time with my partner and having holidays.

18. Hoss

Gold Member

Albums:
    I almost lost my job and my soon to start pension because of an "indiscretion" as it is called in the report. My self worth and identity weren't going to be trashed.....:laugh2: because of it. I am still known as I was before.

I've always told people what my job is, from my early jobs as a teen, to the current job. I work in sanitation. More precise I hauled trash for several years now have a different task, still in sanitation. Good job, good pay, nothing to feel bad about.

19. earllogjam

Gold Member

"Indiscretion" Hoss? You had sex with the boss's wife?

You ever get used to the trash smell?

20. Hoss

Gold Member

Albums:
    Nothing as fun as sex and considering who the boss is, and who is wife is:eek:.
    It was a lesson about computers being used on company time, images sent via that computer and that is all my legal agreement allows me to say.

Trash smell isn't nearly as bad as people think, at least for the haulers and the men that dump the trash in the trucks. We aren't directly in back of it for any big length of time, it's usually the people in cars backed up in back of us that suffer especially if they have the windows open or are in a convertible. At the dumps, it's in and out, rather fast (like sex with my 4th wife:biggrin1:). There's also a certain sweetness found in the smell of most trash.

Draft saved Draft deleted