How often and when do you feel like a kid again?

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by earllogjam, Aug 27, 2010.

1. earllogjam

Gold Member

Someone asked me this question the other day, in fact it was my birthday I was really saddened that I really never feel like a kid anymore ever. Not even a moment. There is no carefree easy time in my life ever. I never feel happy or silly. Every hour of every day I'm worring about something, something that needs to get done, and done well.

It really dawned on me becoming a middle aged man, that I really have forgotten how to be a kid again. The world has closed in on my life and the kid is pretty much dead. Some guys escape through drinking or pot but it never appealed to me.

Each day I find it's a stuggle to find happiness in life and I find as the years move on it's getting more and more difficult. :frown1:

2. Bbucko

Gold Member

Albums:
    Define "kid": if you mean a 10-year old, then the answer is never. But I don't think my childhood was especially joyous nor very innocent. It's probably the one time in my life I'd never want to repeat, ever.

If you mean 18-25-year old: all the time, unless I'm just waking up or finishing from a busy night at work. And yeah, even if I had issues and dramas as a young adult, I always felt carefree, easy-going and (usually) kinda silly. I still have the same mean sense of humor I had when I was 19, and am ready to laugh now as I was then.

3. HiddenLacey

Gold Member

Albums:
    Dear me.... this is a trick question, right?

I feel like a kid for the majority of everyday. I just cannot seem to shake the feeling of joy at everyday life and new things, even when I am sad I bounce back rather quickly.

#3 HiddenLacey, Aug 27, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 27, 2010
  4. earllogjam

Gold Member

I did have a nice childhood so when I mean kid I'm thinking of a time where there were no worries, not concerned about what others thought of you, slept soundly at night and always woke up refreshed, no sense of time, had fun with ease as you had a sense of freedom and less emotional baggage or expectations and a time when I was not so bound by fears and concerns. I'd say those years between being 9-12 years old.

5. earllogjam

Gold Member

I think some people are just born happy and with sunny dispositions. Seems like you are one of them.

6. HiddenLacey

Gold Member

Albums:
    You can do it too! Just find happiness in little things. Sing a song, scrunch your toes in the grass, lie on your back and find pictures in the clouds. Count stars, think about something you did as a child that just made you so happy... do it again:wink:

I just turned thirty:confused: I felt rather like WTH have I been doing for the past 10 years... then I realised life goes on and it's time to make those things happen and make myself happy. You can do it as well :smile:

7. earllogjam

Gold Member

I think that part of the problem is that I have very few if not ANY friends that have sunny dispositions like you.

8. Bob Ross

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    ^ by my guesstimation you will be hard pressed to find someone with as amiable a disposition as Submissivegirl...From what I can gather from her presence on here she is a true sweetheart.

As to the actual point of your post; I feel that "feeling like a kid" is a bit over-rated. Don't get me wrong(ly), I have my share of responsibility, worry, self-doubt, malcontentness, and general "blah" about life and how i'm spending it, but I think this is the product of maturity. It's the old "ignorance is bliss" saying. The reason you were happy and careless as a child is that you lacked the mental faculties to process the enormity of cruelty and hardship in the world. I've found that focussing on the big picture is depressing but concentrating on the now can be fullfilling. People (in general) are stupid, cruel and selfish...But an individual person can be intelligent, kind, and giving...Whenever I feel this way I try to spend time with the people who make me happy and I try to make them happy...At the very least it passes the time.

On a lighter note, I wanted to add this joke; Q: "How often and when do you feel like a kid again"? A: "Only during the dead of winter and when its REALLY cold out"...Think about it...

9. earllogjam

Gold Member

Yes, maybe it is a bit sentimental to lament over your childhood. And maybe childhood is romanticised as it's made out to be idealic when in reality many have had rotten childhoods. Maybe we only choose to remember the good parts of childhood and try to forget the rest.

Thank you for the small dick joke...hardy har har. lol. Thank goodness for pocket warmers.

10. Bob Ross

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Sorry, I wasn't trying to be condescending about anything, and was just trying to cheer you up...Just trying to say that I see looking back upon youth as a "grass is always greener" kind of mentality. So long as you are still alive its not too late to make the coming days the best ones

11. unabear09

Gold Member

Albums:
    I honestly don't know what its like to be a kid. I didn't really have a childhood. Around age 5, I was thrust into the world of adulthood. This is primarily because of the long periods of absense of my parents and being mentally, physically, and sexually abused up until I was age 13 or so (mental abuse never stopped).

12. DiscoBoy

Gold Member

Jump into a river and play with the mud. I love it.

13. nudeyorker

Gold Member

I don't think I felt like a kid when I was a kid. My mother was always scolding me telling me I was trying to grow up too fast and I should enjoy this time in my life because I will never get it back. She was partly correct, but I do get some of it back once and a while at a carnival or fair and spending time with my friends children. I always feel like a kid at an amusement park.
    I wish Rumplemeyer's still existed in NYC, that restaurant brought out the kid in even the most jaded New Yorkers.
    I don't know the answer Earl but I think sometimes we can conjure up some of the great memories of when we were children and try to revisit them... I think I'll go out and have a banana split later and give it some more thought.
    And maybe I'll buy a bottle of bubbles too. I have not blown bubbles in ages; I'm long overdue.

14. D_Aston Asstonne

D_Aston Asstonne Account Disabled

Never.i burned up my childhood long ago.

15. Joll

Gold Member

Albums:
    I quite often do. :/

Feel more responsible in someways now, altho I was pretty sensible as a kid. Maybe it's all gone in reverse with me? lol.

16. catman

Gold Member

When I am lying on the floor with my grandson and imagining how new and exciting the whole world is from his eyes...how there is not 'good' or 'bad' or worries....bath is fun! food is fun! arms to hold you are fun! monkeys are fun!

then there is that joyous deep chuckle that makes the world seem a much better place in that moment.

how tears quickly turn to smiles.
    '

17. vibrator

vibrator New Member

Never, don't think that is possible not sure I'd want to be a kid, I have a lat more freedom as an adult.

18. earllogjam

Gold Member

I suppose one good reason to have kids is that it brings you back to your own childhood and that feeling of being able to share in that innocence and joy again, a rebirth of sorts. Thanks Catman, that was a sweet thought.

19. D_Ezdras Dingledonger

For me it comes down to postponing responsibilities for as long as I'm able. I've made it a point not to settle down early. I want to enjoy my young years to the fullest and feel like a kid as often as possible before making any sort of commitment. I don't want a wife, kids, mortgage, or car payment. Hell, I don't even want a pet. It's not that I'm a bad guy or anything, I just don't want to be leaned on in any form or way - at least not for a long time. I think this is key to my feeling and staying young in the years ahead.

#19 D_Ezdras Dingledonger, Aug 30, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2010
  20. RawDog

Gold Member

Albums:
    In that context, every time I'm inside my wife and every time I do my martial arts. I do at least one of those activities 5 days out of the week.

I'm a helluva lucky guy. :smile:

Draft saved Draft deleted