How often have you changed your religion?

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by Principessa, Apr 27, 2009.

1. Principessa

Gold Member

Americans not losing their religion, but changing it often

Have you changed from the religion you were raised in?
    How often have you changed your religion?
    What prompted you to change religions?

REM I couldn't resist :cool:

2. Drifterwood

Gold Member

Once, when I realised that I neither remotely believed in the existence of godness nor had any respect for the majority who peddle it.

3. B_Nick4444

B_Nick4444 New Member

at twelve when I realized that church teachings, if examined critically, scientifically, were bogus -- I became an atheist

at fifteen a prep school buddy introduced me to Zen Buddhism, I became intrigued, and learned about the rest of Buddhism

at about sixteen, or seventeen, I began to realize that a lot of experiential states I had been falling into, were taking me "outside of myself", following thought, or yoga, or meditation

as these grew stronger, or more intense, I suddenly "realized" (an experiential process, not a reasoning one) what the Carpenter from Nazareth, the Native American vision quest, and Prince Gautama were pointing to, and acquiesced

I can now call myself a Christian, a Buddhist, et al

4. BirdinMo

BirdinMo Member

Albums:
    I was raised a Baptist. Droped it at age 16. I think I do not need a set religion. I know what I believe and that is MY choice. I'm not going to choose one religion and only believe what they tell me.

5. LMX

LMX New Member

Albums:
    I was not raised under any religion. I am an atheist and have always been an atheist. My parents, as far as I know, are the same.

6. D_Martin van Burden

D_Martin van Burden Account Disabled

I grew up without a denomination no matter what my mother would have you to believe. We would say grace before eating on the major holidays, and I remember praying as a child, but that eventually fell out of favor. We attended a Southern Baptist church in our hometown for a short while, and then we just stopped going.

I have been an agnostic for many years, though it has only been recent that I have grown comfortable with the title. The real challenge for me isn't even to lay claim to having morals, or to work to see myself as something very small in a large cosmic universe. My personal possession of a spirituality isn't an issue; the religious fundamentalists are trying to tell me that I'm wrong, misguided, etc. The real irony is that for their belief systems to hold, they must trust in faith. When someone else doesn't practice or preach the same type of faith as they do, there's a problem. I am trying to stay unafraid of defending my beliefs and using rational arguments and logic to bolster what I think is going on. At the same time, I'm trying to show spirituality instead of positing that it's there. It's a tough fight, but I like it.

7. Gillette

Gold Member

Albums:
    Well said, Dee.

I was raised (read: dragged to church) Anglican but never caught the faith.
    I guess I've always been agnostic even before I knew the word for it.

8. Drifterwood

Gold Member

I see no conflict between being godless and having a complete connection with spirituality.

9. D_Kay_Sarah_Sarah

D_Kay_Sarah_Sarah Account Disabled

Growing up my parents let me choose what religion i wanted to be, needless to say i didn't choose any.

10. B_mitchymo

B_mitchymo New Member

Raised as a church of england christian but i am agnostic by choice

11. Wish-4-8

Gold Member

I was raised Catholic. Then I got really into it, on my own, only to discover that 95% of the people who call themselves Catholics are not true Catholics. Most are uneducated on the church dogma and they follow cultural and traditional rituals rather than Catholic teachings.

I could never be athiest or agnostic but I do not subscribe to a religion per se. I have looked around at Christian religions and the "born again" types and have found problems with all of them.

Now I just believe what I believe and dont judge people on what they choose to believe. Some people really need to believe in something because they cannot be good on their own.

12. yhtang

Gold Member

Albums:
    I have consistently worshiped money. :)

13. Hot stuff

Hot stuff New Member

I would class myself christian though do not pertain to a church, and have strong empathy for muslims and jews alike, I perceive them to be very much branches of the same monotheistic faith. At the same time my thoughts are in constant flux and embrace all opinions. Would be equally happy if there were no written book at all or history of God and we all believed in our God through the sky the sun the oceans the wind the weather the mountains the forests the fields the harvests through humanity and a harmony and respect thereof.

14. BigDallasDick8x6

Gold Member

Albums:
    A lot has been said about this news article (not necessarily on here). I actually think it's a good thing that people don't stick with the religion they are raised in, but think about it and CHOOSE. What a shame to just be a certain religion because your daddy was, and his daddy was, and his daddy was.....

15. whatireallywant

Gold Member

As a child I went to a Baptist church and as a teen I went to a Church of God. However, when I was 17 - this was the time when the Moral Majority was starting to get a lot of attention - I quit going because of the kinds of views the Moral Majority types (including many at the churches I went to, as well as my relatives) had, particularly the sexism and sexual repression.

I didn't go to church again until I was in my early forties and decided to give Unitarian Universalism a chance. I still go to UU churches when I go to church, but often I just sleep in. :biggrin1:

16. Principessa

Gold Member

17. B_Hickboy

B_Hickboy New Member

I've never changed my religion, but it changes me about a hundred times a day.

18. D_Cock_Hudson

D_Cock_Hudson New Member

I have never changed mine, though my grandmother moved from the Church of England to become Presbyterian, the local priest moved from Church of England to Catholicism and two childhood friends of mine moved in the reverse direction. To say nothing of those who convert at or before marriage.

Draft saved Draft deleted