how often should i work out??

Discussion in 'Underwear, Clothing, and Appearance Issues' started by gwenluver, Apr 17, 2007.

1. gwenluver

gwenluver New Member

I was just wondering how often I would have to work out to get the body i want. I want to be toned, with nice pecs, abs and arms, but I dont want to be too ripped, as I dont think I could be bothered. Also, do you have any suggestions for work-outs that can be done at home as I rarely find the time to get myself to the gym.
    thanks for any help.....:smile:

2. blue_eyed_devil

blue_eyed_devil New Member

Albums:
    The work that you put into your body will be proportional to the body that you get, ie more wrok better body etc. As for how often, that would depend on what kind of shaoe you are in now and exactly what you want to achieve.
    MK

3. B_Christofferb

well if you are considerably overweight (20+ lbs/9+ kg) you will want to get rid of the fat first. You do this by doing cardiovascular/aerobic excersises. These excersises include running, biking, stair climbing...think anything that jumps your heartrate up. The reason you want to get rid of the fat first, is because the fat is what covers up your muscles, the fat is a layer between your muscles and skin. Once you achieve the weight you are supposed to weigh, I would continue doing the cardio type work-outs combined with weight lifting. Weight lifting basically breaks down the muscle protein, and the protein re-builds itself. Think of it this way, Jell-o is basically flavoured gelatin. Gelatin is a compound made up of protein, that has been extracted from animal bones. When you mix the Jell-o you have broken down the proteins, and activated them to re-align. When you place the Jell-o in a mold, it take up the shape of that mold. This is basically what you are doing when you lift weights - you are "melting" your muscle, and "molding" it. Good luck!

4. gwenluver

gwenluver New Member

Well im not overweight and i have some natural muscle tone already. I just want to enhance my muscle tone. Do supplements help? And What are some good work-outs? Should i do cruches for my abs or are there other ways and do i need gym equipment to work my pecs.

5. krispykareem

krispykareem New Member

Albums:
    For weight training, it really depends on how you split up your routine. For example, if you did a full body work out(ie squats, deadlift, chin ups, bench press, military press) twice a week would be more than enough. A push/pul/ legs split is common so that'd be 3 times a week. A lot of beginners start w/ a upper/lower body routing and do each workout twice a week but I don't recommend that.

Most of the workouts you read in magazines, etc that bodybuilders use aren't appropriate for most people because they're taking anabolic steroids and can work out more frequently and have it still be effective. Less is more a lot of times you don't want to overtrain. I don't have anything against "supplements" if you go that route you can make quick gains.

It's most important that you're making progress every week so write down your stats bc it's easier to keep track. I used to work in a gym for a kinesiologist and have done a lot of research on the subject. I recommend this book called Hardgainers. I don't think that's the whole title but if you search for it it has a lot of good no-nonsense no-hype info.

good luck.

6. krispykareem

krispykareem New Member

Albums:
    Working out at home is harder but it can be done. The back especially can be tricky to work out. If you get: a barbell, a flat bench, and a pull-up bar you can build a good body. It also helps a lot to have a training partner or at least a spotter for safety. I was locked up for a while with no equipment but you can still do a lot of good exercise w/ body weight and plyometrics.

If you don't have a place to do bench press some pushup variations work well. Regular pushups don't offer enough resistance for most guys(if you can do more than 15-20) so you have a few options. One good variatioin is to shift your body weight over one arm and work out each side individually or if you can do one-handers even better. Or, try loading up a backpack w/ heavy books and then doing reg. pushups making sure your back doesnt sag. I even had a little guy climb on my back to do them in juvenile hall. Check out some navy seal exercises too they have some good, functional body weight exercises.

7. Jushiro81

Jushiro81 New Member

Well... Do you have any pics for us?

Is hard to say how often you should work out, if we do not know how exactly is your shape now.

8. D_Roland_D_Hay

D_Roland_D_Hay Account Disabled

I agree with Jushiro, it is hard to give advice if we don't know where you are currently or where you want to head towards. Every body responds differently and I would suggest seeing a personal trainer. He/she can give you a workout routine for the gym and the home. That is how I started and it was the best advice I ever received.

9. Barely Big

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    If looking for bodyweight exercises (no equipment needed) I suggest checking out bodyweightculture.com or if you're more serious about it, get material by Pavel Tsatsouline or Ross Enamait. You can make body weight exercises much more difficult than one would think at first glance.

10. meatpackingbubba

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    3 to 5 times a week for 40 to 90 minutes. Do some light resistance training with weights and 20 minutes of cardio.

Draft saved Draft deleted