Verified
Gold
Media
Treyburn, North Carolina, United States of America
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
I think it could be a good toning work out, but like most men with almost 6 decades of hard work and play, I have poor knees. I can still do 12 mile hikes and run 3 to 5 miles with no problem but not sure if joints could deal with rapid and pounding movements. Weight workouts are not a problem, but I seem to lose flexibility, and hard to work yoga into workout program.

find83

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
No Response
It has more to do with cardio vascular health than age in general. Also lost of flexibility comes with age and only performing musculation workout. You should try mobility drills you can do them after your work out 5-10min tops and they will help build your flexibility.

ripsrips

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
Crossfit workouts are giving as a class but also tailored to the individual, let the instructor know of any limitations you have, if any. Whatever the WOD is everybody will be doing the same general workout but a good instructor will tailor it to any limitations anybody in class might have. You'll achieve the same results but just with different moves and probably less weight. It might take you a little longer, but a good instructor will guide not only the class but individuals. If you're looking for a good cardio workout, CrossFit definitely works! One key thing to remember cut your consumption of carbs and bump up your protein intake.

I have a shoulder injury that prevents me from doing the overhead squats with the 40 pound bar, so I'm given exercises that achieve the same results in a different fashion.

twoton

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Crossfit has always modeled itself as a method that is scalable to all fitness levels and capabilities.

Ponto

Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Alice Springs (Northern Territory, Australia)
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I think you are a bit of a fool to run with those poor knees, all that jarring isn't good old man. Stick to your hiking, but be careful with weights. There are plenty of old gym guys with arm, shoulder and back problems. Can't you take up swimming?

Sailingbear

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Treyburn, North Carolina, United States of America
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
I think you are a bit of a fool to run with those poor knees, all that jarring isn't good old man. Stick to your hiking, but be careful with weights. There are plenty of old gym guys with arm, shoulder and back problems. Can't you take up swimming?
Love to swim, but seem to avoid it in winter. My running grows less each year. I really enjoy running so will be hard to give up. Hiking may push me as hard as running. Better hills and longer times off working out. At gym I do medium weights with high reps. Looking for better shape with controlled bulking.

Steve26

1st LPSG Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
As others have noted, Crossfit is easily scalable to your abilities -- so I think you should be able to make a go of it. I'm 43 and have been following it regularly for eight or nine years without issue or injury. But I am very careful not to exceed my limits, and I definitely don't take the WODs as gospel: They are a suggestion, or a starting point.

I usually complete the total number of reps called for in a given WOD, but often go lower than the suggested weights, since those are often geared toward very fit guys who are two decades younger than me. For example, my workout today called for 120 push presses at 65 lbs.; I did them at 50 lbs. Or on days when the WOD gives different target weights for men and for women, I swallow my pride and go with the lesser weight. (Hey, I am secure in my masculinity and perfectly happy to be as fit as a Crossfit woman!)

I usually do all the running called for in the Crossfit WODs, but when they call for a longer run (say, 5K), I'll do intervals of running and walking. I used to augment my WODs with extra running outdoors, but over the last few years I have transitioned into swimming as my complementary cardio activity: I'm pretty muscular and a hair under 200 lbs., which does give the knees a beating.

I say go for it, start light and realize there's no shame in dialing back the weights or the reps from what's called for, and see how you do. I love the built-in variety of Crossfit, and think you probably will too. Good luck!

Steve

Gj816

Mythical Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Humm interesting. I've certainly been thinking of changing to a full cross fit gym. Been working out for a year with weights full body workout 4-6 days a week. Started a clean diet a month ago to lose belly fat. But I am at the gym by 4am so I'd have to find another gym that is 24 hrs. After reading the above post it does increase my interest. And I'm no 20 something anymore. It is worth considering though.

Reactions: Stabilo

0 yrs is too old for crossfit, it is suboptimal at everything BUT training you to get better at crossfit.

However, of course if you are more so after the social aspect/ community of it while getting in ok shape go ahead! You’re never too old to start anything.

My personal recommendation that fits both areas of fitness and community would be taking up jiujitsu or Muay Thai

Might be time to take up swimming instead. Your body is fighting gravity 24/7 till the day it stops. Even worse if you have done 45 or more years of hard yakka.

Stabilo

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
As others have noted, Crossfit is easily scalable to your abilities -- so I think you should be able to make a go of it. I'm 43 and have been following it regularly for eight or nine years without issue or injury. But I am very careful not to exceed my limits, and I definitely don't take the WODs as gospel: They are a suggestion, or a starting point.

I usually complete the total number of reps called for in a given WOD, but often go lower than the suggested weights, since those are often geared toward very fit guys who are two decades younger than me. For example, my workout today called for 120 push presses at 65 lbs.; I did them at 50 lbs. Or on days when the WOD gives different target weights for men and for women, I swallow my pride and go with the lesser weight. (Hey, I am secure in my masculinity and perfectly happy to be as fit as a Crossfit woman!)

I usually do all the running called for in the Crossfit WODs, but when they call for a longer run (say, 5K), I'll do intervals of running and walking. I used to augment my WODs with extra running outdoors, but over the last few years I have transitioned into swimming as my complementary cardio activity: I'm pretty muscular and a hair under 200 lbs., which does give the knees a beating.

I say go for it, start light and realize there's no shame in dialing back the weights or the reps from what's called for, and see how you do. I love the built-in variety of Crossfit, and think you probably will too. Good luck!

Steve
it looks like u are doing a great job !!!

Reactions: Gj816