How open minded are we?

D_Kay_Sarah_Sarah

Account Disabled
Media
I always thought to be part of a site like this people would have to be fairly open minded and accepting. But when i get reading through threads i realize how judgmental we actually are. Be it partner swapping, gay relationships, cheating partners, mixed-race relationships there always seems to be someone saying its wrong and stepping in preaching morals, ethics or "just because".

I like to think im reasonably on-judgmental and the only things i will 100% say are wrong is incest and pedophilia. But am i the only one who still gets shocked by the lack of acceptance sometimes portrayed here?

OCMuscleJock

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I always thought to be part of a site like this people would have to be fairly open minded and accepting. But when i get reading through threads i realize how judgmental we actually are. Be it partner swapping, gay relationships, cheating partners, mixed-race relationships there always seems to be someone saying its wrong and stepping in preaching morals, ethics or "just because".

I like to think im reasonably on-judgmental and the only things i will 100% say are wrong is incest and pedophilia. But am i the only one who still gets shocked by the lack of acceptance sometimes portrayed here?

you have to realize... A LOT of these people are even at odds with themseves about even being on here and feel guilty about looking at the pics or even contributing to the posts.

So when something they do not like or understand comes up ... they are going to react in a more judgemental fashion. It's human nature to mock what we do not understand or care to know about. Luckily for us..not everyone is like that.

whatireallywant

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay

I would add rape to the (short) list of things that can be 100% said are wrong.

But yeah, I'm the same way. I've actually become less judgmental over the years, rather than more like probably most people do.

I will say though that I don't really like cheating spouses - the kind that sneak around on their spouse. However, swingers are no problem, and neither are open relationships (having had one myself...) However, I'm sure there are just situations when it simply happens...

There doesn't seem to be a lot of judgment about gay relationships here, possibly because of the large percentage of gays on this site. Actually, gay relationships were one of the first things that I was brought up to be judgmental about, that I questioned WHY should people be so judgmental.

As for some of the other stuff, well....some of it I have personal experience with! I've been in an open relationship (and actually sort of still currently am...) and am also in a mixed-race relationship (although we're newly dating...)

B_Hung Jon

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I think it has to do with morals. Most people are brought up with the morals of their parents. If they're at all questioning, they will examine how they feel about morality, and then perhaps put together their own set of moral behaviors. I think that many people don't do this at all, and simply retain their parent's values. It's similar to religion. Lots of people don't question their religious beliefs. They're just too busy with life to deal with it. I also think that a lot of the christian morality of the last 30 years is a reaction to the questioning of everything by the youth culture of the 1960s. A lot of those peeps seem to still be fighting those divisions. That's why there's so much negativity about "cheating".

Corius

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
It is so very easy to take offense when a post appears which directly contradicts what one has just offered. Since most of us are not trained to deal with contradictory opinion we may come across as attacking the person with whom we disagree. I think it is perfectly alright disagree and to do so strongly. But, I also think that one could make progress toward a real conversation if one concentrates on personal testimony and identifies what one offers as such. Free and open and respectful exchange of ideas is what we desire I suspect and one is better off if one develops a non-judgmental approach even when the slings and arrows sting. We are entitled to express our opinions but we ought not to make the mistake of assuming that all opinions are equally valid.

D_Jared Padalicki

Account Disabled
Media
I think being open minded on this site is the fact that for example straight guys accept that they get compliments from gay guys, and that they don't mind talking about "the gay stuff" here, because when you do that in "real life", you will get some weird looks.
Also the fact that most people get along here is amazing.

heist

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
In general, people should just stop judging others... I mean, unless someone is asking for your opinion on the moral correctness of something, of course. Besides, just because something is true for you doesn't mean it's true for others. It's when we assume that others use the same basic assumptions as us that we all run into trouble.

Re: Hung Jon's point about inherited beliefs: it is very interesting to see how some people have contradictory views on things, because they've thought through one part for themselves and yet retain their "inherited" view on another part.

surferboy

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
i agree that i'm fully against beastiality and sex with someone underaged. there was also a thread about fondling guys in their sleep, and that i'm against as well. everything else, while i'll state my personal opinion on it, i don't give a shit about it if you do it.

my personal philosophy is that if it doesn't effect an unwilling partner, then it's all good in the hood

larocca

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
What surprised me the most after joining this site is the fact that there are many posters (the straight folks) that don't mind when someone that has a higher gay percentage comments on their photo or just says hello. This is one of those rare sites where str8-bi-gay can somehow talk to each other.

I haven't been here long enough to witness those fights that some of you talk about, so for now the place is quite great.

I think LPSG runs the gamut though the site has lost a good chunk of the true anarchists that used to give it an, "anything goes," air that I found healthy and stimulating.

I also believe I'm far more open-minded than most members here and I definitely sense the amount of opposition I find at expressing some of my more unique opinions as was witnessed last year when I discussed meeting a pederast and his, "son." I'm not sure that conversation could be had here now with the current moral climate.

Hellboy0

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
you have to realize... A LOT of these people are even at odds with themseves about even being on here and feel guilty about looking at the pics or even contributing to the posts.

So when something they do not like or understand comes up ... they are going to react in a more judgemental fashion. It's human nature to mock what we do not understand or care to know about. Luckily for us..not everyone is like that.

Totally agree with you, OC. I actually think it's great we don't all agree. You gotta just let the bullshit grumpy moralisers say their piece and move on. It's all sticks and stones, folks.

As one of my really cool clients says "Tuffin up, Princess"!:smile: