How overweight do you think I am?

doakes1234

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
I’ve got low body confidence as so many people have commented that I’ve put weight on recently which I have - is it salvageable? I’m only 23 and need to focus on getting back to the gym.

technically I’m obese according to my BMI and it’s just around my hips that I most noticeably store the fat!
Hoping I won’t get excess skin etc when I start losing weight this year.

Attachments

Wine0

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
Dude! You’ve taken a massive step forward in posting here! Well done - you’re far braver than me! I lost 70lbs in 18 months by upping my cardio 3-5 times a week and understanding my BMR calculation. You’re young enough to not worry about excess skin - so keep drinking plenty of water, understand calories and eat sensibly, get you heart pumping and lift a little weight. I can’t wait to see the results in a few months time.

Ignore BMI - it was never designed for individuals!

Best, Wine0

Dave NoCal

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
It is my opinion that you are net obese, per se. Some people use the term "cosmetic obesity" which comes much closer to the mark. Obviously, this is totally salvageable. You need to work on both sides of the equation, intake and output. Our society is designed to produce obesity. When I was in college fifty years ago, almost NO ONE was severely overweight. Most of us were Skinny. We all ate at the cafeteria but we had few snacks readily available. No 2000 calorie frapucino's to waddle around slurping. A cup of coffee would do. Simple changes in diet, if maintained consistently can have huge effects. For example, no fast food. I haven't been in a McDonald's in at least five years, and during that time I've eaten around five Whoppers. Cook your own dinner. Bring a lunch to work. You will save a ton of money and eat much better. Someone I used to know consumed about six Mountain Dew's per day. That's probably two thirds of his recommended caloric intake. Think about where you can walk that you usually drive. These kinds of changes really add up, and that's before you hit the gym. You can do it if you choose to.

twoton

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I’ve got low body confidence as so many people have commented that I’ve put weight on recently which I have - is it salvageable? I’m only 23 and need to focus on getting back to the gym.

technically I’m obese according to my BMI and it’s just around my hips that I most noticeably store the fat!
I think you look pretty normally average.

If you want to lose weight, skip the gym and head outside and start running long distances.

Reactions: Gj816

WilliamG

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Cammer
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay

Start with your eating habits. So many folks jump into this with diet and exercise. This is VERY true. Let me repeat (for the gym rats) THIS IS TRUE. But...

The greatest gains in dropping body fat are thru food choices and caloric reduction. Google "calories burned in exercise" and look at the amount of time and effort required to burn them. It's incredible. One thing that happens as well is the diet and exercise "all or none" mental fail: "I'm working out so I'm eating right as well" is often followed with "I'm not eating proper because I'm not working out". Sounds crazy I know. But for some reason daily exercise is like a reminder to eat right. That's why I push to get your food situation setup on it's own. You will mentally maintain proper food intake regardless of working out. That's how I approach this.

Now once you've got a handle on your consumption, the exercise will compound this and provide the muscle tone for your new self. And yes, having more muscle mass burns more calories - a win win.

Health is a long long marathon.

Spike Baltar

Admired Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
You're kind of flabby, but you are young and have plenty of time to turn that around. (And a lot of us have put on 10-15 in the last couple years.) Activity is important, and you'd benefit from a little weight training, but losing fat is something around 85% diet. Cutting out worthless calories like soda, Starbucks drinks, and too much pizza will do a lot.

D

deleted5199391

I wouldn't say obese but overweight.
You already know what to do and the implications for your health. Start the workout and be consistent!
Remember to eat properly, too.

RamblingCock

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
Dude, MORE than salvageable! I'm 61 and losing my own muffin top. At 23 you're in a terrific position to lose it quickly.

I would obviously agree you're overweight. I am too. At my highest - in my 40s and 50s - I was nearly 90 pounds over my weight when I was 25. I'm way down now due to a variety of things - still have a little less than 30 to go - but I'm currently on the Keto diet with intermittent fasting. That and a half-hour a day cardio have me down 18 pounds since January.

Just posted a blog on the topic.

ChicagoPole

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
Like others have said, you're in a good place to address this. I'm not going to say it'll be easy, but both a change in intake and an uptick in physical activity should offer motivating results. When I moved to Chicago I lost 30 pounds in two years because I had sold my car and had to walk to accomplish my daily tasks. That was the only change I'd made at that time. It was the easiest 30 pounds to loose.

I'm now in a position where I can stand to loose another 10 pounds. These last 10 are the toughest, but working on it through dietary changes and a few weeks..... we'll get there. You're much younger so it'll go away sooner.

sgtrock

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
First I think your a little to young to worry about your weight or what others may say. As to BMI I have never followed it as I am solid at 6'1" 220lbs with a 34" waist.

As to losing weight it will take time and patience as well as discipline and motivation. Everyone is different but a good start would be to increase cardio and do weight training along with a minimum of 4 to 6 glasses of water a day. Try to eat five smaller meals a day never skip breakfast and do not eat within three hours of sleeping if you can.

If you go to a gym now look at a trainer if you can afford it three times a week.

Try not to fall victim to fad diets as they may work initially but you will taper off after awhile.

D

deleted15703381

Not too bad... I think you are really beyond the hardest part... Luckliy you can correct that, but think long term... plan it out 6 months to a year if you are serious otherwise you will most likely put it back on. Good luck and we believe in ya!

Nito Cogin

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
People are posting what works for them, you need to find what works for you. Start with a small step, give up or reduce the worst thing you eat. For most it is sugar.

tgirlsrgreat

LPSG Legend
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
No Response
Some progress pics. Nothing drastic, I’ve been dieting/exercising for about 6 weeks and have lost a stone. Slowly but surely! Hopefully a noticeable difference
yeah! you can see it, specifically in the muffin and your overall chest looks smaller (not in a bad way! just "slimmer") can also see some man boob reduction. keep up the good work!

Gj816

Mythical Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Congratulations on taking steps to lose weight. I know it's difficult to do. I gained roughly 30 pounds during this frigging pandemic. That and some other issues. I started going back to the gym last Monday. Went everyday through Friday. It's a major accomplishment for me.

Just remember that losing weight slowly will help to keep it off in the long run.
Don't get discouraged when you hit plateaus, just keep working through them. You got this. Keep up the good work.

Reactions: ronin001