How prejudiced are we?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by midlifebear, Feb 21, 2009.

1. midlifebear

Gold Member

The attached link leads to a series of IAT test conducted by Harvard researchers. If you take the time to try one (or all of them) and answer as honestly as you can, you might surprise yourself:

https://implicit.harvard.edu/implicit/

The best part is the instant gratification you get from reading the tallied results. Of course, my test results showed I'm more compassionate than Lady Di or Mother Theresa and live in a world of rainbows and puppy farts.

Happy testing (for they all relate to things like antisemitism, racism, and not believing in Santa Clause although you might worship the Easter Bunny. :smile:

2. Flashy

Gold Member

amusing if slightly annoying

my result: ( i only got 1 "x")

The results of your tests are outlined below:
    Your data suggests a slight automatic preference for Black people over White people

Your data suggest no difference in your automatic preferences for John McCain vs. Barack Obama

Depending on the magnitude of your result, your automatic associations may be described as 'slight', 'moderate', 'strong', or 'little to no preference or difference in association'. How implicit associations affect our judgments and behaviors is not well understood and may be influenced by a number of variables. As such, the score should serve as an opportunity for self-reflection, not as a definitive assessment of your implicit thoughts or feelings. This and future research will clarify the way in which implicit thinking and feelings affects our perception, judgment, and action. If you have any questions about this study or if you would like to find out the overall results, please email

---

rather bizarre

3. B_Nick4444

B_Nick4444 New Member

couldn't make sense of the test -- I tried Judaism

I will say personality tests I have taken in the past in professional contexts do make mention of the fact that I'm likely to be, or have a tendency to possibly be, a bigot

so much for psychological mumbo jumbo

4. SilverTrain

Gold Member

Albums:
    "Your data suggest little to no automatic preference between European American and African American."

Interesting test. I'd imagine it's difficult to "cheat", but who knows.

Percent of respondents with each score:

Strong automatic preference for white people compared to black people = 27%

Moderate automatic preference for white people compared to black people = 27%

Slight automatic preference for white people compared to black people = 16%

Little to no automatic preference between black and white people = 16%

Slight automatic preference for black people compared to white people = 6%

Moderate automatic preference for black people compared to white people = 4%

Strong automatic preference for black people compared to white people = 2%

#4 SilverTrain, Feb 21, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2009
  5. vince

Gold Member

Albums:
    It gave a result that I strongly prefer str8 people to gay people. Which my conscious mind denies. I think I'm pretty much neutral in my preferences and judge people more on what they say and do. Also on how they look, to be honest.

This is the feedback I gave them-
    "The speed of responce is faster on the second due to learning the task. If the order of the test was reversed, my results would change. I find this method flawed."

It's simplistic.

6. Principessa

Gold Member

Well that is most disturbing.
    :eek:

7. whatireallywant

Gold Member

Hey, I scored the same way. I think it was the order they did the pictures vs. words more than anything else. I went slower the last time around and so made fewer "mistakes"... it doesn't really prove anything, I don't think...

8. transformer_99

Gold Member

All sarcasm intended in this post,

See, there's really nothing to be gained from any results, you're bound to offend someone with them ?

Preferences for Blacks over whites, Euros over African Americans. Please no cartoons, you'll only draw the wrong kind of attention to yourselves ?

Part of the reason why I don't take any of them, well, there are several reasons:

1. Is it really anonymous, any tracking cookies ?

2. Quizzes suck, especially when someone wants your opinion without paying you for it. I'm supposed to help Harvard students/graduates write a thesis, so they can be the brightest students on the planet ? Without the thesis that translates into an unfair competitive advantage in the job market for Ivy Leaguers that already is difficult enough to overcome. Let them live thru their lives and find out what the rest of us already know.

Besides, they want to see life in the raw, let them live in my neighborhood for a little while, they'll understand in short order ? I mean when I'm caucasian and all you see are news stories of African Americans and the subject matter is drive by shootings where children get shot multiple times with an AK-47, how is that not supposed to temper a response ? Or how about when you come closer to a group engaged in a conversation in English, and it immediately becomes a very fluent Spanish or Haitian Creole conversation, how is that not supposed to temper a response ? Still yet, when you see section 8 housing application lines and it escalates to violence, how is that not supposed to temper a response ? Then you have the protests between the Arabs and Jews and it escalates into violence, how is that not supposed to temper a response ? And just so that I'm not missing any faction here, but you ever notice most serial killers that wind up resorting to cannibalism or the fraud cases where there's billions stolen (Wall Street Execs), those people are bone white ? Dare I say it ? Probably Ivy League/Harvard graduates ?

3. Results will always raise eyebrows, if you're honest and report back something someone else doesn't want to hear, you're a racist, bigot as far as they're concerned. Just more gasoline to throw on the fire ? And there are opportunists on every forum that'll pummel you for it in a lame attempt to drive you out of "their" forum ?

I've gotten enough of this over my lifetime. I'm really exhausted from dancing around the race card(s) any more. Damned if you're silent, damned if you participate ?

9. HazelGod

Gold Member

Albums:
    Your data suggest a moderate automatic preference for White People compared to Black People.

Your data suggest a moderate automatic preference for Complex compared to Simple.

:33:

10. B_VinylBoy

B_VinylBoy New Member

I hate these kinds of online tests. Besides, I get part of the way through it and my web browser crashes. Perhaps my Macintosh laptop is racist? :biggrin:

11. faceking

faceking Well-Known Member

Albums:
    Try again... and post the results... I can surmise them already...

12. faceking

faceking Well-Known Member

Albums:
    "Your data suggest little to no automatic preference between Arab Muslims and Other People."

Ummm, yeah, I knew that. Nice waste of time on looking for neural slip-ups.

Lame testing.

13. B_cigarbabe

B_cigarbabe New Member

Now that is interesting darling VB!
    C.B. :saevil:

14. B_VinylBoy

B_VinylBoy New Member

Gee, why don't you take a wild guess?
    I'm sure my caucasion BF of 5+ years, plus my Puerto Rican best friend and business partner would love to see what you think. Prejudice may exist in the hearts of all, however, I don't hold any preconceived notions to people based on their skin color.

Like for instance, I don't like you. And it has nothing to do with your skin color. You just emit a high level of social ignorance and I tend not to like that. :rolleyes:

15. hairyman101

hairyman101 New Member

Albums:
    hate breeds hate and it always will be that way.

16. bigman420

bigman420 Member

Albums:
    How prejudiced are we? Well Sean Penn just won an Academy Award for playing a gay right's activist, not for the job he did. That's pretty prejudiced.

17. HazelGod

Gold Member

Albums:
    Cry more. :rolleyes:

18. simcha

Gold Member

Your data suggest a slight automatic preference for African American compared to European American.

Who knew? I'm a white/Cherokee/Jew.

19. simcha

Gold Member

And not a real surprise here:

Your data suggest a slight automatic preference for Judaism compared to Other Religions.

20. houtx48

Gold Member

How prejudiced are we? Well Sean Penn just won an Academy Award for playing a gay right's activist, not for the job he did. That's pretty prejudiced.............get over it

Draft saved Draft deleted