How quickly can you lose interest in someone?

rtg

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Say you are really interested in someone... but then all of a sudden (like a switch flicking) you lose interest. Does this ever happen to you? If so, what are some of the reasons that this may be?

(This happens to me all the time and I never seem to get any kind of truthful explanation. So without this feedback I don't know what it is that I should do differently...so hoping maybe I can get some insight here?)

Kilimandjaro

Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
hmm it can happen if there is some kind of deal breaker.
When you see that person do something that kinda change the representation you made in your mind of that person. (that representation is often different than what that person is in reality, especially with our imagination that tend to adapt that representation to what we really want to see).
So i guess that illusion can vanish in front of reality and then you lose interest.
That where i tend to make a distinction between "passion" and "love". Love would be when you can see a person how he really is without losing interest :)

Reactions: nailz

rtg

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
@Kilimandjaro - Thanks for your response. If someone did something that you thought was out of character for them, would you talk to them about it? It seems that not many people are willing to give the benefit of the doubt and just write people off as soon as they do something that they seemingly don't like....but maybe there was miscommunication or the person was just having an off day.

Kilimandjaro

Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
well it really depends of the situation. I know that i had once a crush on a girl at university. She looked really pretty and gentle. She looked to me like a princess or an angel. But then i discovered that she was smoking a lot of weed and was doing baby sitting to earn enough money to buy her weed... that kinda killed the thing you know... i didn't talk about it with her i just took my distance.

Kilimandjaro

Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
other than that maybe time , stress , being busy can make you get more distant with some people and then make you move on to something different.
And there is the case where someone is only interested in you for something in particular and if you don't have it anymore that person will leave :p
but it's better to not have that kind of person in your life!

svrocks

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Happens to me. I find that when I lose interest it's either a) I've stuck around long enough to see traits that are deal-brakers for me, or b) I see no possible way of fostering a relationship that would work for me.

Instantaneously. 'Yawn rape' is something that has this effect. I felt bad, having known the person for a couple of years prior to this, and it was very out of character for him. He had so many good points that I did think to myself that I was being totally unreasonable, but I just could not get around the fact that I felt -10 attraction towards him after that.

Reactions: ronin001

Naughty Teacher

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
well, that's getting to know someone. everyone tries to look thier best on a first date.

over time, you see more of the good and the bad.

thats the best i can do without a lot more detail from you. if you want more analysis, PM me.

KennF

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
In general, it could be either too much intensity or lack of intensity. (example: not showing emotions or happiness when the guy behaves totally chivalrous and opens the brings you flowers, opens the car door, etc...).
It could be you picker is off and needs some fine tuning. (example: being attracted to married or otherwise unavailable men).
It could be a social taboo you're doing. (example: going out on a romantic date and playing Pokemon Go all night).
It could be setting expectations too high or too soon. (example: talking about moving in together on the first or second date).
It could be not matching expectations to actions. (example: wanting to go out dancing, but looking for a guy that wants to go to the football game).
Or, looking in the wrong place for what you want (example: like using a hookup app to look for a date...you get the attention, but then it turns off when they realize you aren't really looking for a hookup).

All of these could be reasons that someone suddenly loses interest.

It might be better if you gave some examples of when this is happening (use John or Jane if you don't want to use real names). The question is a little broad right now.

KennF

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight

rtg

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Thanks all... Ok so I'll use my most recent example... I've been talking to this guy for awhile. All of a sudden it appears as though he doesn't want to talk to me anymore. All I can put it down to is the following...

We were talking on the phone the other night and he mentioned a charity / fundraising cause called Movember... Which is where in November guys grow a moustache and get sponsored to raise money for prostate cancer. He said he does it and I asked if he actually raises money and he said no, he just does it for awareness. I said that it's pointless doing it if you're not going to raise money. Obviously this was a disagreement. Then like 2 minutes after he exited the conversation and doesn't seem to want to talk to me now.

This does not seem like a big deal to me?! Ppl have disagreements... And he knows I'm passionate about charity stuff.

well it really depends of the situation. I know that i had once a crush on a girl at university. She looked really pretty and gentle. She looked to me like a princess or an angel. But then i discovered that she was smoking a lot of weed and was doing baby sitting to earn enough money to buy her weed... that kinda killed the thing you know... i didn't talk about it with her i just took my distance.
I think the clue is in 'like a princess or an angel'. She wasn't a real person to you but an idealised projection. So of course you felt disillusioned when saw the real her.

hmm it can happen if there is some kind of deal breaker.
When you see that person do something that kinda change the representation you made in your mind of that person. (that representation is often different than what that person is in reality, especially with our imagination that tend to adapt that representation to what we really want to see).
So i guess that illusion can vanish in front of reality and then you lose interest.
That where i tend to make a distinction between "passion" and "love". Love would be when you can see a person how he really is without losing interest :)
Sorry, should have read this first - I see what you are saying. It seems to me that people who are in the habit of suddenly losing interest are really only interested in projecting their fantasy on to you. It's always obvious and I go out of my way to disillusion them as soon as possible.

KennF

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Thanks all... Ok so I'll use my most recent example... I've been talking to this guy for awhile. All of a sudden it appears as though he doesn't want to talk to me anymore. All I can put it down to is the following...

We were talking on the phone the other night and he mentioned a charity / fundraising cause called Movember... Which is where in November guys grow a moustache and get sponsored to raise money for prostate cancer. He said he does it and I asked if he actually raises money and he said no, he just does it for awareness. I said that it's pointless doing it if you're not going to raise money. Obviously this was a disagreement. Then like 2 minutes after he exited the conversation and doesn't seem to want to talk to me now.

This does not seem like a big deal to me?! Ppl have disagreements... And he knows I'm passionate about charity stuff.

That sounds like a social taboo or conversational mistake on your part.

In this situation, your comment can be read as a bit callous towards his passion.

He was being vulnerable in that moment. People don't usually talk about cancer unless it has effected them personally in some way. For a man, prostate and testicular cancer are on par with a woman talking about uterine, ovarian, or breast cancer. So, the cancer he was talking about is deeply personal. Maybe he has it or is very afraid of it? Maybe his dad or someone close? Maybe someone he respects?

Now, he is raising awareness of a condition that he finds important. The issue wasn't monetary. The event was called a fundraiser, since that is a term that people understand or the organizers decided to use.

While you are welcome to disagree, you shut down and shut him down....

a) You didn't show interest or respect for his passion, or, become his ally just because he's your friend, or, acknowledged that if it is important to him, then that is a good thing;
b) Telling him that something he considers important is pointless, attacks him personally and can be very belittling, unless you are very careful with your words and tone;
Example may be: "That's funny, I always thought fundraisers were supposed to make money, but a chance to get together and show support is good for anything. Do they let women grow moustaches?" You get your point across, acknowledged a possible way to accept it, and, either create a joke at yourself/show interest, depending on how he reads it.

You need to allow him space to have his opinions, even if you don't agree with them. If you want(ed) a continued relationship, then it is(was) your responsibility to reestablish it.

rtg

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
@KennF thanks for the reply.. I guess the reason I had that reaction was because my mum had cancer and I did a lot to raise money to show my support. Anyway I do understand that I made a mistake. But he reckons that's not the reason he doesn't want to talk to me anymore... It's because I have anxiety.

KennF

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
@KennF thanks for the reply.. I guess the reason I had that reaction was because my mum had cancer and I did a lot to raise money to show my support. Anyway I do understand that I made a mistake. But he reckons that's not the reason he doesn't want to talk to me anymore... It's because I have anxiety.

I wasn't judging you. I'm glad you see your mistake.

It still will fall to you to overcome his belief in your anxiety. He got a picture of you as anxious, maybe quick to judge or shut down, etc... If you want to overcome that (or stop it in the future), you should go out of your way to be slow to judge and remain clearly open to more discussion.

It is what I do. When I find a trait I didn't know I portrayed, I went out of my way to do the opposite, and soften the trait.

Just a thought.