How short should men's shorts be?

Anton565

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
For street wear (as opposed to gym), I sort of work backwards. I like pockets deep enough to hold my cell phone, keys, etc. without the pockets sticking out the bottom of the leg. Provided that's covered, the shorter, the better, IMO. The shorts need to fit your body. If the shorts are baggy, going shorter will make your legs look skinny.

I've always had big hips and skinny legs for my waist size. Tilly's London Skinny chinos, jeans, and shorts get my the most compliments. An FYI: Although Tilly's caters to the HS and College crowd, much of what you see in their adverts is ALSO available in solid colors, making them a good choice for us older, skinny guys.

For street wear (as opposed to gym), I sort of work backwards. I like pockets deep enough to hold my cell phone, keys, etc. without the pockets sticking out the bottom of the leg. Provided that's covered, the shorter, the better, IMO. The shorts need to fit your body. If the shorts are baggy, going shorter will make your legs look skinny.

I've always had big hips and skinny legs for my waist size. Tilly's London Skinny chinos, jeans, and shorts get my the most compliments. An FYI: Although Tilly's caters to the HS and College crowd, much of what you see in their adverts is ALSO available in solid colors, making them a good choice for us older, skinny guys.
Back in the 70's the fashion was to wear cutoffs short enough that the bottom of the pocket stuck out.

pdxjoe

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
They would look much better on fit guys if they were in the two to six inch range at the inseam. That size will give most guys full coverage with underwear or without underwear, I wear shorts of this size going commando without showing anything. I grew up and came of age in the 50's and 60's we either wore our jeans as cut offs or 3 to 4 inch inseam shorts with no problems, only the most preppy of men wore "clam diggers" down to their knees . I sure miss those days of men not being afraid to show their legs and body.

Anton565

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Back in the 70's the fashion was to wear cutoffs short enough that the bottom of the pocket stuck out.

I was just at the end of that. I thought the pockets sticking out looked weird, but having the shorts long enough to prevent that would have looked far more weird back then.

"I sure miss those days of men not being afraid to show their legs and body."

Me too.... But we should count our blessings; at least tight pants have come back...

ColonialBoy

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response

sdbg

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Shorts with a 6" inseam work best for me. There is a tailor across the street who does inexpensive alterations, and he has shortened many of the long shorts that I have bought.

I also found Soffe mini-mesh gym shorts on line that feature a 5" inseam. I refuse to buy any shorts that cover my knees.

Sandalguy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Tend to wear denim cut-offs with 6inch inseam. Allows me to free-ball without too many obvious dick slips... Great to see denim shorts making their mark again. Nothing quite like denim cut offs with white T and strappy brown gladiator or hippie sandals!

Reactions: deleted3155011