How should I handle living with a roommate?

Discussion in 'Underwear, Clothing, and Appearance Issues' started by bigguyatNYU, Aug 21, 2010.

1. bigguyatNYU

bigguyatNYU Member

So, I'm starting my first year of college next week, and I was wondering how I should handle some issues with my roommate(s). I'm going to be living in a suite (common room, two bedrooms, bathroom), so there won't be any using a communal shower. But I was wondering if I should hang out naked around my roommates (since this is what I do at home), how I should change, what to do if I bring a girl back, and, most of all, how to know when to jack off without offending/startling my roommates? Any advice or personal solutions you have to offer would be a big help! Thanks!

2. D_Sol Skrotumowitz

D_Sol Skrotumowitz Account Disabled

I live in a suite also only with 4 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms. My advice, I wouldnt hang around naked as they might get the wrong idea about you. Now if you want to be naked in your bedroom (which I assume its 1 bedroom to a person) thats fine, I do that myself. I just be sure to put clothes on before going out into the commons area. Of course going in and out of the shower with boxers is acceptable to my suitemates, but it might vary depending on the person. Jacking off, I do it with my bedroom door closed and/or when no one is around. May I also suggest observing the others and how they might do things as you might learn their ways as well. Hope this helps!

3. SpeedoMike

Gold Member

communicate with your suite mates to find out what the "norms" are. if your differ in any way, ask before you find out the hard way.

4. btj703

btj703 Member

the suite set up makes this a lot less of an issue than a standard dorm room where two people are packed in together with little chance for privacy. hanging out naked outside your bedroom would probably come across as weird, at least until (or if) you guys end up being pretty close/open with each other. i've lived with close friends who were completely comfortable being naked around each other (as in being in the bathroom at the same time, getting dressed after showering without doing the towel dance, etc.), but we never "hung out" naked in the living room.

i would say when you're going to shower go to the bathroom in boxers, or just a towel, and see if that makes him uncomfortable. you'll be able to tell from body language - does he look uncomfortable, look away if you walk by, or straight up leave the room - i had one roommate like that. obviously he's not going to be ok with nudity if that's the case.

if he doesn't seem to have a problem with that in the first few days, hang out in your underwear or shirtless and see what he does. he may do the same, or he may not. if you guys are getting along and clicking and you just really want to be able to be naked outside your bedroom, walk to the shower naked once and see if he reacts - if he takes offense, just apologize and say you were in a hurry, then you have your answer. if he doesn't act like it was a big deal, then a little nudity is probably ok.

or he may completely open like you apparently are and start off walking around naked, in which case just hope he isn't disgusting ;)

5. B_RedDude

B_RedDude New Member

Any guy who would have a problem with a male roommate walking from his room to the common bathroom in just boxers or a towel is a pussy!

Where do MEN acquire these issues?

6. btj703

btj703 Member

i agree its ridiculous, but true. and to me since you have to live with somebody for most likely at least a semester, if that's the only issue, its not worth pushing, especially if you've got your own room to be do whatever you want whenever you want. awkward roommates suck, but they're still roommates who you have to respect.

7. Countryguy63

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    It's always based on each individual. If he's used to hanging around naked, no problem. If not, probably a problem.

Talk to him. Get to know him. If you're pretty open and honest about your habits, I'll bet you'll find out how he feels about it.

To the folks that say F*^% It, just do it, remember that neither one of them chose to live with each other, and they both have the right to be comfortable in their (temporary) home. Common courtesy and respect go along ways to acheiving this. :smile:

8. hung

Gold Member

Albums:
    Open and honest communication is the key.

Talk out the various situations that you are both facing. I am confident that your room mate has the same questions.

After all, I suspect that you are asking about a male room mate at college.

As a Freshman you are now out on your own and how you handle your various situations reflects on your own upbringing.

Again, be open and honest and talk about things before they become a problem.

I wish you well and always remember, once you fail at college you can join the U. S. Military.

There no one will ask you about being nude in the barracks of the basic training (boot camp for Sailors); you will just do it.

I do not know if they still have gang showers, but basic training allowed no room for modesty.

I know of what I speak. I failed at college and joined the Military.

Yes, my room mates and I at College knew each other and respected our special needs and we had no problems.

9. BiMaleHungWV

BiMaleHungWV Member

Albums:
    Everyone's suggestions so far seem right on. Talk about it and ask him. "Hey dude how do you feel about nudity, guest, shared refrigerator, etc." I would include the nudity in with other similar roommate interaction questions so it doesn't seem like that it is such a deal for you.

Or you could just do it and deal. I did this when I first started dating my husband. I was at college and had a roommate (regular dorm). The night after my husband (then boyfriend) stayed over, my then roommate complained and I got in trouble for having an overnight guest, and he moved out a week later, a few weeks after that my husband and I moved into an apartment together so it wasn't an issue for me.

10. 9x7clarkkent

9x7clarkkent Member

don't talk about it with your roommate. you will be labeled a freak and the answer will be "fully dressed". it's guys in college. naked isn't going to work unless you guys have seriously bonded and/or are drunk. i would start with basketball shorts with no underwear. then after a bit move to boxer shorts. i imagine your roommates will as they feel more comfortable with each other over the course of the year do the same. that is the real answer for all of it. the amount of permission will change with increased levels of comfort. just become friends and then you can do pretty much anything you want.

11. LeeEJ

Gold Member

Albums:
    Do you really have a room to yourself, or will you end up like I did for one of my college years and have four people in a two room-one bathroom suite?

12. runningwoof

runningwoof New Member

Albums:
    I lived in a 2 bed 1 bath with 4 guys all through college...usually no one cared if you walked around the bedrooms naked. Or from the bathroom to the bedroom naked as long as there were no guests over. but each person has their own ideas on this subject.

13. luvguyz

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Use common sense. I would say obviously in your own room with the door closed you can do whatever you want. But in the common room and bathroom at least wear underwear or a towel.

14. B_beltboy

B_beltboy New Member

It really depends...I shared a room one summer session with a cool guy. We became very open with one another fairly quickly, discussed jerking off etc...Anyway, it go to the point where we would jerk off in each others presence. It was fun, a bonding experience, one of those things that happens in college. We connected via facebook years later, chatted about that summer a bit, and are both cool about our openness with each other then, and where we are today.

So as the other poster said, use common sense, tune in to the personaliites. We are all guys...and all are dealing with the same issues. But above all, have fun, and stay open to interesting encounters so that you have no regrets when you are thirty!

15. freeballininnyc

freeballininnyc Active Member

Everyone comes from different backgrounds/experiences when entering college and living in dorms so I would say that there's reason for leniency from both parties. The advice of "wait and see what he does and then act accordingly" doesn't necessarily work because he may be playing it safe and following YOUR lead. While hanging out naked in the common area from the beginning may be pushing it a bit, I would say going naked between your room and the bathroom isn't pushing the issue. It wouldn't surprise any college male that some men sleep naked. It shouldn't surprise any college male that some sort of nudity will be a part of their lives while living in the dorms. If the guy has an issue about it, let him be man enough to talk to you about it. Similarly, if you have issues with things that he does, be man enough to talk to him about it.

16. curiouscam

curiouscam New Member

Albums:
    Since it is a shared space I think it would be better to keep the nudity confined to your room. That goes for the self-lovin time too. Maybe things will change over time who knows. Some people are just uncomfortable with nudity. Silly rabbits.

17. jockmaestro

Gold Member

I think it's sad that this has to be a question, tho' I understand it. I also think it's sad that BOXERS are the norm in the dorm. What the fuck ever happened to briefs that show a guy's bulge? Why wouldn't that be acceptable ( tho' I know it isn't)?
    I say jack off in the main room every day till the roommate joins you!

18. D_Edwin Eatser

D_Edwin Eatser New Member

Was in this situation a while back. Basically, walking nude from the bathroom to your bedroom or kitchen is OK but don't do it if visitors are likely to be around. Knock before you open another bedroom door - I once threw open a friends bedroom door when he was fucking, I thought he'd come back alone. If you're bringing girls (or guys!) back for sex suggest you have some sort of signal for everyone else, one friend used to hang their panties on his bedroom's outside door handle.

The situation can be LOTS of fun - I had my first MMF 3some with a suite friend, and a few 4somes with our gfs. It's also great to lie in bed and wank while your friend is having noisy sex next door!

19. D_Sir Fitzwilly Wankheimer III

I don't know how your set up is but most first tear freshman share a single room with a roomate ina dorn so y0u won't have a whole lot of privacy too your self. you'll figure it out. and if things go well and get to be good freinds with the other kids in the dorm there will be a lot of people stoping by at random so hanging out naked probably would not be a great idea.

20. Mr_Bulldog

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I say just get them together and ask what they are comfortable with and tell them what your used to and if its ok otherwise your willing to compromise

Draft saved Draft deleted