How str8 couples see a gay couple?

sedated

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
Hi everyone! This one would be my first thread hope u find interesting.

The question is for all especially to the str8 guys/girls or couples but all are welcome to join!

How do u react if ur neighbors are a gay couple? I'm asking that because me and my BF are now living together but we don't know what to expect on the neighborhood about this issue... or if u were on the same situation please give us some advice.

Sedated

Drifterwood

Superior Member
Media
I'd expect to be invited round for a great dinner, and then have a GF bitch at me because your interior design was better than ours, and how you dress better than me and keep in better shape. :smile:

B_cigarbabe

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
You should expect to be treated as that "nice new couple" who just moved in! I lnow how ignorant some are,but I hope all goes well for you and your boyfriend,cutie!
Drifterwood said it best, imho!
Best Wishes to both of you!
cigarbabe:saevilw:

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Hi everyone! This one would be my first thread hope u find interesting.

The question is for all especially to the str8 guys/girls or couples but all are welcome to join!

How do u react if ur neighbors are a gay couple? I'm asking that because me and my BF are now living together but we don't know what to expect on the neighborhood about this issue... or if u were on the same situation please give us some advice.

Sedated

The truth is it wouldn't bother me in the least. :smile: I'd probably make more of an effort to be friends with gay neighbors than these Stepford couples and families who keep moving into our subdivision.:rolleyes:

You are aware that there a number of positive stereotypes that go with being gay and real estate.

If a lot of gays move into an area property values go up.
Gays always keep their property looking nice.
Gays throw great parties
Some gay couples are DINK's. DINK= Dual Income No Kids

SouthernExposure

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
My family lived two houses down from a gay couple (men) for five or six years. Our daughter currently has a pair of twin friends that are daughters of a gay mother and we see them socially often. In fact, we are getting together this evening so the girls can all go trick-or-treating together. (I'm the designated guardian for the trek through the neighborhood tonight.)

When I was a pre-teen, I remember my family befriended a younger gay college-age guy and this was at a time (and in a place in the deep south) when such things just weren't done. I realize now that their example helped me understand that people should be judged on character and not social standing, sexual preference, religious leanings or political affiliations.

People are by nature different, and that is what makes living so exciting... and why I like being part of LPSG. I've learned a lot from lurking here. :)

sedated

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
Hey guys thanks for all ur comments... we actually are a very quiet couple we haven't yet make an open house party but we will.. hehe :smile: and everyone is invited hehe!

In this new comunnity we are now living is full of newly weds and single guys/girls we expect due almost all are young have no problem with that... but is better have opinion on other people.

prince_will

Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
i wouldn't mnd, but then again, i'm not 100% straight. i know if that were to happen in my neighborhood, it wouldn't go over lightly. there'd most likely be gossip and most people will avoid them like the plague. i know that's what you probably don't want to hear, but that's how it goes where i live...

G_U

Just Browsing
Media
Gay people can be just as nice or just as big of jerks as anyone else. I treat people on a person by person basis. Not on race or sexuality. If they are nice to me, I'll be nice right back, if they are assholes, then I'll scale my response accordingly. We had some gay people (of both sexes) in my school and no one ever picked on any of them because they were really nice people.

benderten2001

Experimental Member
Media
My thoughts immediately go towards the difficulties (and struggles) a gay couple is going to face trying to be accepted by others. Yes, I have to say I feel saddened for them. Two people in love shouldn't have this to deal with. After all, life is tough enough! And, can such behavior from others really just be totally ignored by a gay couple? Rejection and ridicule from others HAS to hurt. Having to even begin a thread on this subject here (which btw IS a good one!) just indicates to me that I'm making a valid point.

Swimming upstream against the tide sure seems to be an appropriate analogy.

No_Strings

Expert Member
Media
The 'makeup' of the couple (MM, MF, FF) probably wouldn't even register to me; I'd treat them as any other. If I like them as people then I like them. If I don't, I don't. Sexuality isn't related to how I treat a person or a couple, I don't see how it's relevant to anything(or any of my business, for that matter). :smile:

Osiris

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Whether you are gay or not should make no difference. I have had militant gay neighbors, nurturing gay neighbors, partying gay neighbors and honestly? The only reason I am now referring to them as gay is because you asked your question. They were just neighbors. All were wonderful neighbors and that was what counted.

If you have neighbors that can't accept you for who you are? To hell with them. You can move into our neighborhood, we don't play that game and we'll have you over for wine and dinner.

On a side note, my dad who was typical midwest homophobic once had this to say when he heard a gay couple had moved in:

"Keep them happy so they'll stay. They'll up the property values because they are great landscapers."

My dad was very un-PC, but a riot in his fits of being "reality challenged".

SpoiledPrincess

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
It would depend if you were a nice gay couple or a horrible gay couple, if you were a nice gay couple I'd like you just as much as I'd like a nice straight couple, if you were a horrible gay couple I'd set your house on fire just as quickly as I'd flame the house of a horrible straight couple. To me someone else's sexuality doesn't make them either a good or a bad person, and unless they're someone I fancy their sexuality isn't much of my business really. Someone treats me well I treat them well regardless of how they like their sex.

sinfulta

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
For the people that watch that show Desperate Housewives.... Think about the crazy gay couple that moved in on their block. You might like them for some things and might not like them for others. But what it boils down too is they worked them into the show quickly and everyone (in character of course) just included them as part of the neighborhood... and it seems to me they are as crazy as the rest of the bunch on that block.

The reason I brought this up, is because I think this day in age it really doesn't matter. A lot of it has to do with where you live also. I live in the San Francisco Bay Area where gay people/couples are a dime a dozen. And nobody here in recent years thinks anything other....and I'm sure they would treat anyone the same way as another straight couple.

To the above comment. I used to be in real estate...and it's sad but true... straight people did want to live (still do i guess) where the gay people were. It was almost impossible to find a home less than 1Million anywhere near the castro. And this was 2-3 years ago.

As said before and this is coming from STRAIGHT couples when I talked to them: They wanted to live next/near them because;
Typically higher income (DINKS as the another referred as Dual Income no kids)
More community involvement
Housing was kept up better
Property Value is typically on avg 10-20% higher than what it should be.

I'm not making this crap up either.... I had to deal with it all the time. Sounds stereotypical...but that doesn't mean there is going to be gay couples completely against this stereotype obviously. I think based on where you live, people might have more of a issue with it, just because your living in a country where it's not as excepting. Even if you are right next to San Diego.

my .02

dhsdad

Experimental Member
Media
My immediate next door neighbors are a gay couple and my parents immediate next door neighbors are a gay couple. The ones next to us brought the house about two or three years ago. My parents neighbors brought the house before my folks (and they brought theirs in the late 70s).

I am somewhat an expert on gay neighbors.

I really don't think anyone gives a fuck anymore. I am much more concern with ensuring that whoever buys the house next to mine keeps the property up. In that regard, my neighbors are the best. They renovated the house from top to bottom, but they don't speak and did not reciprocate holiday cards with us or any of the other neighbors who extended themselves to them. That really was not nice and the neighborhood has basically ostracized them..but has nothing to do with their sexuality.

My parents neighbors were like our uncles. They would baby sit when we were younger, help my dad with repairs and all types of shit.

I really think the biggest issues is making sure you are a friendly and respectful neigbor..who you fuck really should not matter and you will learn that most people don't care.

Not_Punny

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I'd be fucking jealous!!

Their house would be better decorated and cleaner, and their visitors would be polite and respectful, with interesting conversation.

I would definitely hope to be invited over for a dinner or tea.

- - - -

That being said, my next-door neighbor (to my right) is a lesbian, who has a pair of adorable 1 y/o twins. Her partner doesn't live there but is a frequent visitor. They are very nice people, and we always chat when we meet.

danjs584

Loved Member
Verified
Gold
Cammer
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
We probably are getting a point of view on here that is biased on the accepting side. I mean all the people on this site--gay, straight, male, female, etc--are obviously a little more open-minded than the average person to be on a site like this.

Anyway, I think it would partially depend on the area that you live in. Some areas are definitely more accepting than others. I've also run into a lot of straight people who are very friendly to gay people but definitely still think in stereotypes they don't realize they have built into them. For instance a coworker of mine who asked another coworker who was somewhat flamboyant and gay "no offense or anything but are you gay or just very eccentric?" To me this implied that she felt gay people seem eccentric or eccentric people seem gay. I know she didn't mean anything by it but I think that it still shows how people hold onto stereotypes without realizing it.

My grandparents (who I do know think that being gay is a choice and think it is an attempt for people to be weird) had a gay couple move into the house next to theirs on martha's vineyard (for those who don't know, martha's vineyard is a very gay friendly island off of massachusetts). I remember them telling the rest of our family "the couple next door to us are fags, but they are a lot of fun. We had them over for drinks last week." (this was before they found out that i'm gay--they know now but they don't discuss it).

I think the reverse is true also though. I know I often find myself assuming that the well educated and "white collar professionals" would be more accepting of gay people and I find myself being more nervous around people who seem "rougher around the edges" or less educated. I've actually found in many instances that the people I assumed would be less accepting are actually the more accepting ones.

SpitFireWheels

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
We actually had an older gay couple move into the house next to us a year or so ago. They're an older couple, quiet and never bothers anybody. In fact, I think my family likes them more than the rest of our neighbours. They're all kind of flakey. Of course, we have the typical neighbours.. That family with way too many kids who can't keep them under control and that old creepy cat lady who knows EVERYTHING going on in the neighbourhood. No, I wouldn't be against it..i'de welcome it lol

hotguy8884

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
honestly, i think a lot of people on here arent saying the whole truth

your situtuation will either go that people will treat you EXTRA nicely so you dont think they are homophobic, or they will ignore you because they are homophobic

no matter what people say about "oh, as long as they have a good personality, they are jsut regular people".. but for some reason, being gay completely changes a persons outlook on you

you may find the few rare people that have no problem with it whatsoever.. but most likely, they will care that you are gay, and thats the sad truth

danjs584

Loved Member
Verified
Gold
Cammer
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
honestly, i think a lot of people on here arent saying the whole truth

your situtuation will either go that people will treat you EXTRA nicely so you dont think they are homophobic, or they will ignore you because they are homophobic

no matter what people say about "oh, as long as they have a good personality, they are jsut regular people".. but for some reason, being gay completely changes a persons outlook on you

you may find the few rare people that have no problem with it whatsoever.. but most likely, they will care that you are gay, and thats the sad truth

I agree. You may not notice it at first, but at some point you will notice some action, comment, or assumption that will show latent prejudice. And again, gay people are just as guilty of this as straight people.