How stupid can a lesbian be? Really!

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by DC_DEEP, Jun 26, 2007.

1. DC_DEEP

Gold Member

I don't know how many of you are familiar with the story, but a lesbian sued eHarmony dot com, its founder, and his wife, because they failed to provide her a lesbian match.

Um... Neal Clark Warren is a fundamental christian He's good buds with the Focus on the Family group. His website says that right up front. If you try to register, your ONLY TWO CHOICES are "male seeking female" and "female seeking male." This is a private organization, not a government office.

The woman, Linda Carlson, of northern California, tried to use eHarmony to find a female mate. The website didn't work (duh...) so she complained to them, and they refused to change their policy. That's when she filed a discrimination suit against the company, its owner, and his wife.

It's a christian dating website, founded and owned and run by a doctor of divinity (I think), and it has a product. How stupid IS this woman? Discrimination? Would she sue McDonald's if they failed to offer her for sale a new leather couch? I can just hear it now... "I wanted to buy a new leather couch from McDonald's, but they told me they only sell food. I didn't want food, so they are discriminating against me!"

Ms Carlson, give it the fuck up. Your lack of brilliance is damaging the rest of us in our quest for equality.

2. dong20

Gold Member

Pretty damn stupid, evidently. Her stupidity appears equally matched by her selfishness and insensitivity.

I don't think any of those attributes are restricted to Lesbians though.

3. DC_DEEP

Gold Member

Well, no... I'm very careful of semantics, so that's why I labeled it "How stupid can A lesbian be," not "How stupid ARE lesbians..."

4. dong20

Gold Member

I know. I didn't mean to suggest that. I wasn't being overly clear, sorry - It just occurred to me that some PC zealot may and it's good to clarify early.

It's a continual source of puzzlement what some people will sue for these days. It's the I got out of bed the wrong side, I'm going to sue the bed manufacturer kind of mentality.:rolleyes:

5. arliss

Gold Member

Albums:
    i blame her and the ambulance chaser.....that is representing her..instead of giving her sound legal advice he is jumping at the oportunity to turn a buck..both are looking for notoriety....she is no doubt testing the waters....i do hope it will be thrown out of court...but then again it depends on the judge and how liberal his leanings are..he may let it go forth.....

6. B_big dirigible

B_big dirigible New Member

7. Gillette

Gold Member

Albums:
    Wondering...

- website refuses to change policy
    - stupid chick sues and gains media attention
    - some lesbian wants to date her just so they can say "I dated the stupid chick who..."

Would this not mean that indirectly the website did provide her with a lesbian match?

8. needthesupport

needthesupport New Member

LOL brilliant and you're correct. This is probably the best thing for her as far as a date goes.

9. HazelGod

Gold Member

Albums:
    How stupid can a lesbian be?

Pretty fucking stupid, indeed. To wit: Charlene Cothran

10. dreamer20

Gold Member

She will get media attention. But I don't think she'll be better off because lesbians will think twice about involvement with a woman who quite likely will end a relationship with a palimony lawsuit.:rolleyes:

11. Dave NoCal

Gold Member

Albums:
    Perhaps out of all of this she will find herself an equally abrasive companion.
    Dave

12. DC_DEEP

Gold Member

Hmm, big d, I'm not sure why you linked that. It's the front page of the Washington Post, which I already read this morning. I didn't see any articles about California lesbians, maybe you could be more specific.

I was a little shocked that you would link that here, because the three top stories are: the fourth installment of an exposé on VP Cheney; an article about CIA's admissions of improprieties and crimes it's committed over the years; and an article about the GOP getting fed up with current administration handling of the Iraq issue. Not exactly what I usually expect you to point out!:biggrin1:

13. B_NineInchCock_160IQ

I took their personality test and they wouldn't let me join. Seriously.

14. Gillette

Gold Member

Albums:
    That's harsh!

I didn't know that they had a personality test, but I would think that being a hetero male that they would at least try to pair you up with someone equally...umm...special.:tongue:

15. Gillette

Gold Member

Albums:
    I remember reading that article when it first came out. Classic.

16. HotBulge

Gold Member

Albums:
    Lowells talk to Cabots, Cabots talk to God
    I understand the chorus of criticism, expressed in the OP, but let me naively disagree. The reall issue for the lesbian litigant is what battle or crusade do you want to take up?

Outwardly, the issue is a "no duh" scenario when you realize that the founder is some Christian fundamentalist and that the model, by design, omitted the homosexual community. (for lack of a proper reference -- I imagine). Most gays and lesbians who, when seeing that no same-sex option exists, would move on because gays and lesbians have had to find their own outlets anyhow. There are, however, lots of gay brothers and sisters out in middle America who don't have access to larger cities where there may be a higher likelihood of finding homosexuals. A site, such as EHarmony, could promote good by bridging that social divide. Mainstream America is still struggling to see how homosexuals can lead fulfilling lives and committed relationships -- America is still too rooted in the view that homosexuality is a psychological disorder and that homosexuals must lead tortured lives somehow.

Still, eHarmony was equally stupid in their response, which gave the lesbian a cause to sue and complain. A thoughtful response to a homosexual who complains to EHarmony should be, " our model does not currently factor in homosexual lifestyles, but we are investigating and testing models that do" (whether that's the truth or not"). EHarmony just said that they don't have a model and moved on. EHarmony's indifference is just begging for a protest response. I personally think that it doesn't make good business sense to exclude 5% of the American population that tends to have spare income.

Admittedly, the lesbian who sued EHarmony could perhaps more effectively work to change state laws to allow for gay marriages rather than focusing on EHarmony. That's a more productive use of one's righteous anger, but you can't necessarily blame her for making a social statement. If Blacks didn't boycott private companies such as Sears and Wolworths 50 years ago, Black people today still might not be eating at the lunch counters.

17. B_NineInchCock_160IQ

All their advertising harps on the fact that their tests will pair you with someone just right for you. I think what they really do is just exclude undesirables... faggots and people who aren't sexually and intellectually repressed included... and then everyone on the site has the same mindset. They don't mention anything about being a Christian site in their advertising literature though.

18. Belly_Dancer

Belly_Dancer Member

Another interesting thing...I seem to remember reading an article saying that their founder was trying not to exclude non-Christian religions, and was of the opinion that being matched with a person of like religion was of the utmost importance. So, Hindus with Hindus, Jews with Jews, Christians with Christians...but I really wonder what percentage of their membership consists of people who practice a religion other than Christianity.

And it also calls into question -- if they are willing to match people from other religions (which seems somewhat against fundamentalist Christianity, which postulates that everyone who has not accepted Jesus Christ as personal saviour is going to hell)...then why would they not be willing to match people from other sexual orientations (who, according to fundamentalist Christianity, are also most likely going to hell)?

Logically, it seems that assisting (and not evangelizing) the one would be just as great a sin as assisting and failing to evangelize the other.

Regardless, I agree with DC that the Lesbian mentioned in the original post is engaging in an extravagant display of stupidity (for reasons illustrated by DC's no-furniture-at-McDonalds analogy).

19. B_NineInchCock_160IQ

because buttsex is icky.

20. DC_DEEP

Gold Member

But my point is not whether I think they should offer any specific product, my point is that they are a private (non-government) business selling a specific, legal product. Their reasoning does not matter. By filing the lawsuit, the bottom line is that she is trying to legally force a private business to offer her a product that they choose not to provide.
    There's a slight, but very significant difference here. If a gay person were to register with eHarmony, and request a product that they do offer (meaning a matching service for the other gender), I'm sure they would comply. They just simply did not offer the specific product she was looking for.

On the other hand, the lunch counters you mention were denying service of a product that they did offer, to a specific segment of the population. It's very different to say, "We have ham sandwiches, but we will only serve them to white people, not to black people..." or to say "We have ham sandwiches, and we will serve them to anyone; just don't ask us for chitlins, because we do not and will not serve them to anyone."

Don't get me wrong, HotBulge, I'm a very outspoken civil rights defender and activist. I just think that her lawsuit was exceptionally poorly chosen, poorly executed, and extremely counterproductive to the equal rights cause.

Draft saved Draft deleted