How things change!

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by DaveyR, Dec 7, 2009.

1. DaveyR

DaveyR Retired Moderator
    Gold Member

We've been away from the UK for almost 5 years now and one of the main differences between here and the UK was the lack of materialism here.

My eaperience before leaving was that of so many people bragging about how much they had paid for this and that. Now I don't have a lot of contact with pals in the UK save for family but with my limited connections I'm getting a totally different picture now. I'm hearing so many stories from folks about how much cheaper things are and people being so proud of the bargains they are bagging. I know my own Mother is pretty horrified at what we pay for food shopping here yet it was all the other way round 4-5 years ago.

Is this perception I have correct? (I've not been back to the UK for 3 years). Have prices tumbled and have attitudes changed so much?

2. Drifterwood

Gold Member

Incredibly difficult question to give a precise answer to Davey.

My simple view is that there was an awful lot of froth in our pint, so to speak. This has been mostly blown away along with the people who wallowed in it.

I don't think that the overall cost of living has gone down, though those who borrowed to fund a flash lifestyle that they had'nt really earned, seem to have faded away somewhat.

The UK economy needs some fairly fundamental readjusting IMO.

3. DaveyR

DaveyR Retired Moderator
    Gold Member

Thanks DW. It's difficult to keep track on the reality when you are not there.

4. B_mitchymo

B_mitchymo New Member

I'll tell you i don't buy single chocolate bars anymore, way to expensive imo. I'm as financially challenged as ever so little really has seemed to have changed in the cost of living. (damn choc bars tho)

5. luka82

Gold Member

I will buy you chocolate!!!:tongue:

6. Sergeant_Torpedo

Gold Member

I just dno't recognize the UK being discussed here. I am not consumer oriented but having large extensive family have had to undertake a recce into the High Street and those detestable shopping centres (OAPs paying through the nose for a cuppa just to get a sit down, don't want people actually sitting anywhere do we?) and I can assure the perception that prices are tumbling is exactly that: a perception. You have been well and truly taken in by the media.

I will give you an example that is indicative of my observations. I have a good memory and since 6 weeks ago several chain stores have hiked up prices by 25% in some cases, but have big stickers proclaiming it as a bargain in their pre Christmas sale. The bankers, the generals, the judges, the police, the public servants, the politicians (of sourse) have all secure higher than their worth salaries. It is those wicked postmen that are destroying our economy by daring to seek a living wage. Food has definitely increased disproportionately to production costs.

There is a pretence in the UK that we are generally more caring of our neigbours and those less fortunate, but the poor are so ignored that they amazingly assume middle class attitudes. Last night an underclass mum struggling on a low (earned) income is worried that she won't be able to afford the 3 or 4 hundred for all the Christmas requisites, plus the really big presents (her words) and the sanctimonious ITV reporter never thought to ask the poor woman, should she not be borrowing more money from the money lenders, and having a quite Christmas.

I thought us Brits were a kind, courageous, stoical people. Since Thatcher and Blair we have become Pharisees.

#6 Sergeant_Torpedo, Dec 10, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2009
  7. B_mitchymo

B_mitchymo New Member

Haha, i'll have milk chocolate not cocoa chocolate then please! :biggrin1:

8. luka82

Gold Member

yes!!!

9. B_mitchymo

B_mitchymo New Member

Haha, let's be clear that that was'nt an acceptance of marriage tho, i like my singularity for the most part. :smile:

10. luka82

Gold Member

Please!!!!
    All you want is to put a ring on my finger!!!!

11. B_mitchymo

B_mitchymo New Member

Rather that than a finger in your ring i suppose :eek:

Oh hell, i promised myself i would never be a dirty boy and now i've gone and blown it! :rolleyes:

12. Drifterwood

Gold Member

I am sure that the UK has changed dramatically during my lifetime. "Middle Britain" is probably the average now - ha ha - £50K per annum household pre tax income, just enough for some aspirational living, just enough to scorn those who don't earn it, just enough to think I'm alright Jack.

There are still those virtues in evidence, but they are on the wane.

Draft saved Draft deleted