How to become a total Prick.

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by Rikter8, Nov 7, 2010.

1. Rikter8

Gold Member

Albums:
    Ok... So, it seems that all nice guys get shat upon at an unprecedented rate... and I haven't gotten ahead at ALL by being a nice guy... sooo

How does one become a total prick?
    Is there Prick School?
    Do you just start treating everyone like a piece of shit?
    Books out there?

2. noirman

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo

Stay just the way you are.

3. BillyPilgrimOD

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Just because you're not a prick doesn't mean you have to be a pussy.

4. D_Tim McGnaw

D_Tim McGnaw Account Disabled

Oh the classic refrain of the nice guy.

5. Cybearia

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    That line has just become one of my rules to live by! Excellent.

:You_Rock_Emoticon:

To the O.P. pricks usually fall foul of their own machinations in the end. Nice guys play the long game. Keep being who you are and, if you are a good guy, you will be recognised for it and rewarded eventually. Nothing good comes quickly and immediate gratification is ultimately hollow and unsatisfying.

I've run out of platitudes now, so I will go.

6. Empathizer

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    You're catching on, Hilly! :D

For more Nice Guys, please see Iron John, Straight Men in; and Feminist Movement, Single Straight Guys In.

See also Werner Erhardt, Robert Fulghum, and B-Movie Mad Scientists ("I have pined after her my entire life. Now I shall become invisible, kidnap her, and breed a Master Race of Nice Guys and Terrified Girls In Stilettos!!! BWHAHAHAHA!!!!")

7. curioustitan

curioustitan Member

"To the O.P. pricks usually fall foul of their own machinations in the end."

....Dud ex machina!!!

8. BillyPilgrimOD

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    The most important thing is to learn the fine art of getting her to talk about herself. Ask any woman the right question, and she'll go on for 20 minutes about it. The trick is getting to that question without making it sound like you're interviewing her for a job. Everybody has that one thing, or couple of things, that they like to go on endlessly about. Once you have a woman in that place, listening (which is harder than you think, because you have make sure she knows you ARE listening) is all you need to do.

Next thing you know, you've had an hour long conversation without having had to come up with any witty, corny lines.

Knowing a lot about a wide range of shit also helps. Not to show off what you know, but so you know the right question to ask next.

Being witty also helps. :wink:

Not caring if you get a lay, a date, or even a phone number out of the conversation is also huge. Trust me, if she wants to lay you, after a long conversation where she's gotten to talk about stuff that interests her and you've been a willing audience, you will get laid sooner or later. If she doesn't, there isn't much you can do.

You can't press the pace of things, because you're not a prick. Some women respond to guys who are pushy and try to get them into bed as quickly as possible. But that's because they're attracted to pushy alpha-males. If you aren't a pushy alpha-male, forcing the issue is just going to make you look desperate and pathetic, not exciting and bad-ass. You have to be Mr. Casual. "He's an asshole, but you, you I can talk to."

9. Joll

Gold Member

Albums:
    I don't think you need to stop being a nice guy to avoid being shat upon.

You can be more assertive and still be nice, I think. :)

10. D_Alastair Pisspoore

D_Alastair Pisspoore Account Disabled

Haha this is one of the greatest lines I have ever read on LPSG. However, this is 100% accurate.

Sometimes guys that are too nice can come across being slightly weak and lacking confidence.

11. Rikter8

Gold Member

Albums:
    Down on your Knees!

Oh...and while your down there...

12. nudeyorker

Gold Member

Go to law school and live in NYC for a few years. I used to be nice years ago... I actually forgot what it feels like!

13. MASSIVEPKGO_CHUCK

MASSIVEPKGO_CHUCK Well-Known Member

Easy- just follow the attitude of the most insufferable prickbait you know & become very studious.

14. Rikter8

Gold Member

Albums:
    That bad in NYC? I heard rumors of folks having "The attitude" but didn't think it was that bad.

15. Rikter8

Gold Member

Albums:
    I agree - working on assertive. Can't see past that Ass part..mmmmm

16. D_Andreas Sukov

D_Andreas Sukov Account Disabled

I dont get the whole Prick thing. I noticed it alot when i was in Secondary school college, but i dont so much now. Then again, i don't tend to have any patience with pricks and either them or i don't stick round long.

Maybe i'm the prick now though so i do that? Hmmm, this has left me with something to think about.

17. nudeyorker

Gold Member

It's not NY people; it's the people who move here that think they need the attitude. NY is a yes or no city there is little room for maybe or people who grew up somewhere and were told they were "Special."
    I come back here from Honolulu and hope my kamaaina spirt will cary me through the duration of my stay... rarely happens..

18. Bbucko

Gold Member

Albums:
    Yeah, because being bitter's so very sexy :wink:

Seriously, develop a shell to protect yourself from the worst of it, but being a nice guy comes with its own rewards. Besides, I tend to think of myself as a bad boy, but everyone who meets me insists how fucking "nice" I am :redface:

What do I have to do? Sacrifice kittens on YouTube? :rolleyes:

19. petite

petite New Member

Albums:
    A lot of people who say that they're "nice" are actually people who are extremely sensitive to other people's opinions of them, so they bend over backwards trying to make other people like them. That's not really being a nice person. That's being a person who doesn't have a strong enough personality or character to be themselves regardless of what other people think or how they react and who is easily hurt.

You can be a nice guy and not get walked all over, too. It means that you have high standards regarding how you'll treat others, but you aren't sensitive about how other people view you.

For example, TheBF is the kind of guy who jumps up to open doors for other people, who helps strangers carry packages, etc. He always does the right thing, he makes the right moral choices, and he's truly friendly and outgoing all the time. He doesn't do it because he cares about what each of those individuals thinks about what he's doing, he does it because it fits into his personal code of conduct about how a man should behave. The same behavior by other men is the result of a kind of social pandering. The difference is what happens if a kind act is rejected somehow. A person who is just sensitive and was seeking approval will feel badly about themselves, beat himself up, and feel like crawling under a rock. A person who is confident and was simply behaving the way he truly believes he should behave would shrug it off, laugh, or think that the reaction was amusing, but it wouldn't affect his behavior or his opinion of himself.

It means that a really nice guy can ask a lot of women out on dates and get rejected and that doesn't negatively affect his self-esteem the same way that a pandering/sensitive person might just give up and feel badly about himself after a single rejection. The difference isn't whether or not they're "nice" or not, the difference is why they're nice.

It's a case of behavior that looks similar, but comes from a totally different motivation, from a person of a completely different personality and character.

#19 petite, Nov 7, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2010
  20. B_RedDude

B_RedDude New Member

Just be yourself, Rikter. Your best self, but yourself.

I find it's something that's impossible for me NOT to do, being myself that is. Don't mean to imply that I'm always at my best.

#20 B_RedDude, Nov 7, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2010
Draft saved Draft deleted