How to bypass internet cap?

IntoxicatingToxin

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
So... my current internet is a T-Mobile netstick thing. It has a 5g cap on it per month. Thing is, I cap out after a week or two, so the rest of the time my internet is throttled, which means being so slow I can hardly load web pages. It's super aggravating. My dad won't allow internet in the house so this is almost my only option. I'm not sure how I'm capping out so quickly, the people at T-Mobile say it's really hard to do. I don't even download anything. :confused: So... I was just wondering if anyone knew any tricks or ideas to bypass the throttle so I can continue having decent internet. Any help or ideas will be appreciated. :smile: Thanks!

SilverTrain

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
So... my current internet is a T-Mobile netstick thing. It has a 5g cap on it per month. Thing is, I cap out after a week or two, so the rest of the time my internet is throttled, which means being so slow I can hardly load web pages. It's super aggravating. My dad won't allow internet in the house so this is almost my only option. I'm not sure how I'm capping out so quickly, the people at T-Mobile say it's really hard to do. I don't even download anything. :confused: So... I was just wondering if anyone knew any tricks or ideas to bypass the throttle so I can continue having decent internet. Any help or ideas will be appreciated. :smile: Thanks!

Is your dad the Preacher from "Footloose?"

Lol

I can't answer your queries, but I'm certain someone here can.

Lazerbeam

Experimental Member
Media
I assume you mean a broadband usb dongle?

I had a pay as you go(buy vouchers) one which gave 3gb for 30 days. If you download or watch video streams it will use up a lot. But for general surfing I got several hours a day out of my 3gb allowances. If youre just surfing then 5gb should be plenty for a good 8+ hours a day surfing.

Make sure you have switched all automatic update downloads off. Select the option where they inform you of updates but let you choose when to download.

ps; I don't know of any way to avoid the limits. I would change to another server.

Last edited:

Pendlum

Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
I would imagine bypassing the cap would cause your probably stupidly large "internet" bill to skyrocket, they will fucking destroy you with overcharges if they can, just like with cellphones.

But I can't think of any practical way of somehow tricking their system into thinking that your dongle isn't the same one. Guaranteed that dongle has a unique serial number on it that it broadcasts to them at all times in order to keep track of your usage. In fact all NICs have a unique MAC address built into them, and the dongle is basically a USB NIC. It's used so your router can tell the computers apart, and guess what your router is when you use that dongle? T-mobile is. The dongle doesn't do the throttling, your 'router' does. So the only real way to do it is to trick it into thinking it is a different dongle. And I might add that chances are it would have to be tricked into think it was someone elses dongle, with an account attached to it, which means if you did that, you would be wasting their data allocation.

I'm sorry that that seems to be your only option for internet, but those things are information highway robbery in my opinion, even now when the technology isn't that new.

The only other way would of course to be a hacker that can get into their system and just change the amount listed or give yourself an unlimited cap or something. Neither of these are really practical at all. Plus if your only internet is their dongle, it wouldn't be too hard for them to track down the 'hacker' :p

IntoxicatingToxin

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I don't watch videos or anything. I play WoW, though, which I think is what's eating it. Constant transfer of data... not really sure... But other than checking email, facebook, and playing WoW, I don't really do anything online. And yeah, I agree that it's information highway robbery, it's way too expensive for what you get. Drives me nuts. But my only other option right now is dial up. Bleh. Once I get a job and move out of here, I'll have proper high speed, though. lol. Oh well, figured I'd try. Thanks!

Pendlum

Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
You should be able to check how much data you have left, at least I hope you can. I would imagine WoW is what is eating it up pretty good. Really their only practical application, in which you are still paying too much imo, is that you can use it for business things on the go. You should check how much data you have left, then play like an hour of WoW, then check again. That will give you a good idea on how much it is using. Presumably peak hours in WoW would eat up more data since there is more player information being sent to you, though I don't know if it would be any sort of significant jump.