how to enter a freeway - a PSA :)

NCbear

Superior Member
Media
Greensboro (North Carolina, United States)
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
The below statement prompted this public-service announcement.:smile:

. . . [Not knowing how to merge into traffic when entering a freeway] is what has caused NUMEROUS accidents on I-75 up here. Bubble fucks think they stop at the end of a ramp, put their blinker on and then merge right in front of an oncoming vehicle . . . .

STEP 1: Make sure you know where your accelerator pedal is. Do you know where your accelerator pedal is?

(NOTE: If driving a slow-accelerating vehicle, such as an electric or hybrid car, a diesel King Cab with dually tires towing a camping trailer, a 1980s Honda, or any Volvo except the T5 hairy-chested wagons, find your accelerator pedal AND EXPLORE ITS MAXIMUM TRAVEL before attempting to enter the freeway.)

STEP 2: Press down on the accelerator pedal while glancing left several times in succession to gauge where your vehicle can safely enter the flow of traffic.

(NOTE: It's typically better to have more speed/momentum built up when merging than less, because on major US interstates outside cities, there's enough room to brake, but not enough to stop, pray to the gods of acceleration to help you, and get back in your vehicle to continue to enter the freeway.)

STEP 3: Turn on your left-turn signal to indicate that you know what you're doing and you're prepared to move into the slowest lane.

(NOTE: If an asshole speeds up to keep you from merging, just slow down a little and move in right behind him/her. No need for the interesting hand gestures. You'll see him/her down the road parked just ahead of a nice police officer, anyway. Just wait--karma does happen.)

STEP 4: Push down on the accelerator pedal a little more, or brake a tad, to finesse your way into the slowest lane of traffic.

Bingo! You're done. And now you're moving at least the speed of the slowest lane of traffic.

NCbear (who lives in a town whose business interstate has on- and off-ramps designed in the 1940s that have between two and five car lengths to enter onto or exit from a 45 mph highway with narrow shoulders where most people drive 65 mph plus, leading to lots of terrified people screeching to a full stop on the entry ramps :rolleyes: )

D_Hey Sailor

Experimental Member
Media
I used to hate doing merges when I was taking Drivers-ed. My instructor had this crappy little Toyota Corolla that was gutless and a total nightmare for short on-ramps. Foot-to-floor, sounds like world is ending... still waiting to hit highway speed!

hypoc8

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
This is a big problem most everywhere. I know of a couple of places here where there is no acceleration lane at all coming onto the highway.

hypoc8

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Is "How To Negotiate A Round-about/Traffic Circle" next? Because, seriously, people act like they're impossible. (Yet, they actually make driving EASIER and FASTER!)

How about a four way stop intersection. You want to see a cluster fuck get stuck behind someone at one of these. I swear you'd think this was harder than building a watch.

LaFemme

Mythical Member
Staff
Verified
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Could you post these instructions on every freeway entrance in North America? I'd appreciate it!

Thank you!

Reactions: NCbear

B_subgirrl

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
STEP 2: Press down on the accelerator pedal while glancing left several times in succession to gauge where your vehicle can safely enter the flow of traffic.

I would not advise looking left in countries which drive on the left hand side of the road (such as Australia). You will see rock walls or pretty scenery. Not so useful when you are looking to merge. In this case I would advise looking right :tongue:.

I think your guide should be required reading before people receive their license.