How To Find Your Singing Voice?

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by Wonderboy, Nov 8, 2006.

1. Wonderboy

Wonderboy New Member

You know, like the comfort zone type thing...I want to know how in the world I'm supposed to be singing (deep/low etc).

I have I think one good attempt at singing...but I think its a bit quiet...and I can't duplicate it! WTF...its weird. I can't seem to sing how I used to...the same sound I mean, I sound totally different.

So how do I find it? If anyone's interested, this is I think my best attempt, but I don't know if I'm actually singing/in key etc.

http://h1.ripway.com/Wonderboy/Sound1.mp3

Someone please help me, I want to be able to sing songs and things, decently at Christmas and things or for my girlfriend. Without having to go to lessons.

2. Pecker

Pecker Retired Moderator
    Gold Member

May I make a friendly suggestion?

Perhaps you'd like to take piano lessons.

3. Wonderboy

Wonderboy New Member

I don't want lessons...do I need lessons just to be half decent? :confused:

4. Pecker

Pecker Retired Moderator
    Gold Member

Okay then, tuba, guitar, kazoo, anything but vocal. :tongue:

5. Riven650

Gold Member

Albums:
    Don't listen to Pecker. He's being naughty.

You don't have much control over the pitch of your voice Wonderboy, that's all. This isn't unusual for people who haven't done much singing. It doesn't mean you will never be able to sing (Pecker), but you will have to train your voice - either by taking singing lessons, or on your own. I would urge you to take lessons if you can, simply because you will get results more quickly. But if you insist on doing it the hard way I suggest that you buy a good book. My son wanted to sing, but sounded like you (ie. all over the place) and also like you, didn't want to have lessons. But a singing coach I spoke to suggested we get Carrie and David Grant's book 'You Can Sing' (published by Carlton Books - ISBN 1-84442-880-X). What a marvellous book. It comes with a CD full of examples, exercises, etc. and if you work through it methodically, you WILL learn to sing. Go for it.

6. tripod

Gold Member

Albums:
    Well you were all over the place... some notes were correct, some were wrong. The biggest problem is that you weren't pushing much air... singing in a quiet breathy voice is fine for the studio, but you will never be heard onstage. Pecker's suggestion to take piano lessons was not off base. You should sit at a piano and play the vocal melody in simple one note phrases and sing along. This will tell you where you need to be on the pitch scale. I think that if you actually knew what the notes were that you were singing, you would be able to hit them.

Smokey Robinson has an incredible voice, and I suggest you NOT attempt ANY Motown or R&B until you are a bit more experienced. Black singers are simply UNREAL, white people cannot really do what they do... it is very difficult. Robin Thicke, Gino Vannelli, Daryl Hall, and Michael McDonald are some of the successful white singers that can hang in the realm of R&B, there just aren't many out there, because white singers are sooo lame (see Nickelback). Try some easier vocal pieces (rock and pop) to train your voice, because if you can't handle Kenny Loggins, you'll never be able to handle Marvin Gaye... Prince would be completely out of the question as well. Kudos to your "huevos grandes" for putting the MP3 online so we could hear it. Grab singing by the balls my friend, you have a lot of style and good rhythm, so hone up your instrument and you should be on the right track Wonderboy.

7. fortiesfun

Gold Member

Just from what I know about you physically from previous posts, I'd bet good money that you are a tenor. It means that you are probably singing below your natural range now. One way to figure out how to sing well without shelling out money: go hang out with a choir for a while and stand next to someone who seems to know what they are doing. You'd be astonished at how much you can learn just from being around someone who is doing it well. Don't have to do this a great deal, just enough to figure out your natural range, and (if you do turn out to be a tenor) what it takes to get into the top of your voice comfortably.

8. BigPoppaFury

BigPoppaFury Member

Albums:
    I've always wanted to sound like David Coverdale, Dave Meneketti or Matt Alfonzetti. Especially Dave Coverdale.

9. Gain on 10

Gain on 10 New Member

YouTube - Deep Purple - Child In Time

Here's a white guy that can sing with soul and power. I'm sure many nationalities of singers can match this, but he's voice is one of the greatest of all time.

10. D_Martin van Burden

D_Martin van Burden Account Disabled

I think you attain more natural control of your voice if you stick to one octave. I know people who listen to music and try to replicate the original artist's range. That just results in a lot of cracking and shortness of breath.

When I think I'm trying to sing properly, (I wouldn't know for sure), I don't try to blast any notes and I try to sing from my diaphragm. I just stay tenorish and I don't really make a lot of pitch changes. I can take lower harmonies, but I don't get too far deep. If I'm just talking, my voice does the same thing. Of course, I'm pretty boisterous and theatrical too at times, so I can go all over the place there. Also, I've got perpetual sinus issues so I'm sure that has something to do with it.

11. naughty

Gold Member

How did I find my singing voice? It wasnt lost! LOL! No seriously, I suppose I have been surrounded by music all of my life so it has never been uncomfortable for me...

12. DC_DEEP

Gold Member

Wonderboy, give me a couple of days, and I will PM you some information. Ordinarily, I would charge a lot of money for that sort of thing, but I'll keep it to some basics you should not be without. And we've both been around a while on LPSG, so it will be a holiday gift, just from me to you.

13. Wonderboy

Wonderboy New Member

Hmm okay thanks...but what does that say about my EAR! lol if I thought that was good...hmm. I think lots of practice and some breathing exercises are in order.

*sigh* singing is actually quite hard. I own a guitar btw...

14. davidjh7

Gold Member

Your first step is to determine if you have the ear. And YOU can't determine that alone. My suggestion is, to find a friend who you know has a good singing voice, or at least you know has a good ear. Spend an hour or two with them with a piano you know is in tune. Then, do scales--find the lowest and thr highest notes you can comfortably sing. Have the person with the good ear note whether you can sing the notes in key, and do it repeatably. Few people have perfect pitch, being able to sing a given note correctly repeatably, without some kind of external reference note. But most people have reasonable relative pitch--once they have a starting note, or some accompiment to keep them on track, they can stay in key. If you've got a tin ear, you are mostly out of luck, although some people have been able to train themselves to have a decent ear with a LOT of practice and training. IF you've got a good ear, then you can find your range, and sing reasonably well, without too much struggle--if you can sing a note in key comfortably, the rest is breath control, and THAT can be learned by practically anybody. I always have, and still have, a good ear, fortunately--my voice isn't as good as it used to be, but most of that comes from not singing regularly anymore. But I can still sing in my range and stay in key, and can even still usually hit the correct note without any reference. Good luck, and enjoy the process---being able to sing is one of life's joys, and I hope you can acehive reasonable success at it.

15. mephistopheles

Gold Member

Albums:
    Anyone that uses a reference to Tenacious D for their name ought to be able to sing and play guitar!

At this point you are only half as worthy as you needta be, I have no doubt you'll make it.

I play guitar, bass, drums, keyboard, trumpet, and sing so I sort of know where you're coming from. I got my start in singing for one of my local garage bands, I also wrote all the lyrics and a lot of the music. The point is that I am self taught at everything I do, and I have no doubt in my mnd that if I can do it, so can you.

You can take the lessons(easy, but sometimes pricey) or you can spend hours a day practicing, and learning from yourself. Thats how I learned. I write music, I write lyrcs, then I spend hours a day singing and singing and practicing the lyrics over and over again...Thats the way it used to be.

These days I can lay the guitar down, the bass, and the drums, and after 5 minutes of vocal warm ups I'm ready to lay the vox down.

Id give you some pointers if you like, but I'm sure DC Deep is way more qualified than I am, seeing as how I've never taken a lesson.:biggrin1:

BTW: I wasn't able to listen to your audio sample, because you've exceeded the websites daily bandwidth allowance.

16. Wonderboy

Wonderboy New Member

I'd like some pointers please :biggrin1:

I'll see if I can upload it somewhere else and PM you a link...I have some lyrics...I'd like tips on that too hehe.

17. mephistopheles

Gold Member

Albums:
    Lol, okay, no problem... well, actually, a
    little problem.

I'm gonna leave for work in about 10 minutes(6 CST) but I get off at 8, I worked earlier, so I'm only getting two more hours.

Anyway, I'll be glad to take a look at whatever you have when I get off work.

Practice makes decent,

Josh "Danzig" Dodson

18. Gain on 10

Gain on 10 New Member

If you post some clips, I will. I play guitar, bass and keys. Can't sing a note though. An intentional note, that is.

19. YourAvgGuy

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I am not able to access your link; it states that the user has extended bandwidth...

Singing is something that comes relatively easy for some and difficult for others. Finding your natural range can be cumbersome, especially for individuals who have never taken lessons or who do not sing often. For many, a natural range is generally one octave (8 notes) or an octave and a half (12 notes). It is also easy to suspect that most men are truly baritone or bass singers (most being baritone) rather than pure tenors. Side note: tenors are generally able to sing with ease on the treble clef; if you are having difficulty in reaching notes on the treble clef, i.e., notes above F, then it is reasonable to assume you are probably a baritone.

A lot of helpful information has been provided here. Breath control, forward placement of the note so it does not sound throaty and pitch are essential to "decent" singing. I would suggest you do as mentioned here, practice with someone at the keyboard and do thirds and fifths on the scale. I would then do exercises randomly on the piano where your find your voice to be comfortable. You may also want to work on crescendos and decrescendos to help with pitch and tone. It sounds as if the higher you go the more pitchy your sound becomes?

And, one last final suggestion. It sounds ludicrious and crazy, but trust me on it! Get an exercise ball and sit on top of it. Begin bouncing easy on it and start singing or practicing your warm-ups. This exercise actually helps to relax your throat muscles while also tightening up your diaphgram. The sound will be more pure and if you have a good ear for music, you will be able to find you key with ease and match it. Another tip, especially if you are trying to hit a note in your upper registers and are having difficulty is to squeeze your buttocks tightly when getting ready to hit the note. It helps tighten up necessary muscles. Oh, one more freebie... if your sound is not forward, sit in a chair and bend completely forward like you are touching your toes. Stay in that position for a couple of minutes and begin doing exercises in 5th. The sound will move forward in teh appropriate places and generally will help you with pitch and tone issues.

I study music and have a vocal coach. I am in the process of training to be a counter-tenor - I have over a 3 octave range and am classified as an tenor/alto singer with ability to sing first saprano.

A motto that I live by is...practice makes permenance!! - but make sure your practice is sound practice and is good practice!

Good luck!

20. Wonderboy

Wonderboy New Member

Draft saved Draft deleted