How To Get Fit (19 Yr-old)

D

deleted1074483

I'm 19 and 5 5' too.. But I'm aiming to lose weight before gaining muscles

hey bud you should worry less about your weight - muscle mass is more dense than fat and so doesn't look at 'big' on a small frame however you may end up 'weighing' the same or even more if you put on a lot of muscle mass.

if you work out and work on your nutrition and a good exercise regime you will lose fat and replace it with muscle.

just don't watch the scales, judge by how you feel, how you look and how your clothes fit!

and good luck mate

Reactions: BEERCANDADDY

Big_a_20

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
@jockstrapattack all these guys are giving pretty solid advice. You do have to commit and be willing to put in the work. I’ve always been naturally thin too so for me to go from 175-189 lbs at 6’3 to now 210 lbs over the course of 2 years def takes some work and commitment.
Bodyweight exercises are going to be great for you. Try completing 100 pushups, 100 pull-ups, 100 squats, and 100 sit-ups for a month in whatever breakdown you want to do (10x10,5x20,4x25). If your core isn’t strong enough for pushups, do them on a bench, for pull-ups get a band you can loop on a bar and stand on to help. Day 1 may be fairly easy but day 2 you will be sore. But you have to commit if you wanna see changes and push yourself. There is a difference between good pain and bad pain.
Regardless if you want to stay lean or bulk up, you’re gonna have to actually see how many calories you’re eating and how many are carbs, fats or proteins (macros). I thought I ate a lot but when I actually counted, I was way under what was recommended for normal weight. You can look up and calculate what your caloric and macro depending on what your goals are. 1 gram of protein for every pound of bodyweight is usually the golden rule and if you want to gain weight, 20% increase to your caloric intake is a safe place to start.
Don’t get crazy with whacky workouts, stick to one for at least 6 months. You’re not gonna see progress if your constantly changing your routine. If you have access to a gym, I recommend getting a personal trainer for a month so they can help you with your form and set up a beginner routine that you can do for a minimum of 6 months and you can progressively overload.
Last two pieces of advice: don’t get intimidated by bigger dudes in the gym. We are all there to improve ourselves and unless you’re being an asshole (hogging equipment, leaving weights around and not putting them back, not wiping down after your finished), they really aren’t there to look at you or judge you. If they offer advice, take it with a grain of salt. You can tell by how someone conducts themselves during a workout if you should consider it; are they going around trying to lift the heaviest weight they can but with bad form or are they going about their workout minding their business and not making a show of it?
There’s gonna be days where you don’t want to workout or go to the gym. For this I will give you some advice a friend gave to me.
He said “I’d rather torture myself in the gym for an hour, than in the mirror the rest of the day”. If you need a rest day, all good but for the first 30-60 days def push yourself to workout even if you don’t feel quite up to it. That’s the only way you’re gonna see results. You never regret a workout after the fact but you will always regret not going. Hit me up if you have any other questions!

dom1000

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I have to agree with @socalfreak , @jockstrapattack . You are not an adolescent who can look at a plate of food and automatically gain 10 pounds of muscle and grow 2 inches. If you were still an adolescent, you could do half-arsed workouts and see incredible results. Sorry, but that ship has already sailed. You can still put on muscle, but it must be with EFFORT. Your very first response at the top of the thread to the first advice given was, "If I was being really ambitious..." , which to me indicates that you really aren't that ambitious.
Looking fit and being fit are two different things. You might get away with looking fit at age 19 without actually being fit, but as you get into your 20s, that will go away. Being fit is being athletic. Athletes train with seriousness. In order for you body to change at all, you have to work hard at it, eat right, and get proper rest. Once you get to the level you desire, you can cut back to maintenance. But you have to work out with intensity to get to ANY level of change.
I totally identify with being short and skinny as a rail, being totally afraid if a big guy even looks at me. Years of being bullied does that to a guy. I understand the defence mechanism of taking offence when someone questions whether or not I am serious about wanting to change my body. Probably the most crushing types of comments are the ones where guys or chicks will say something like, "Wait, you work out?" But you have to move past that and say that you are serious.
Send me a DM if you'd like, and I can give you advice on how to mentally prepare and adjust yourself for the sea-change that happens as your body changes. I admit that I'm still pretty thin, but I'm actually about 40 pounds heavier than I used to be.
You totally look like you workout—those pecs, the lean stomach.

Reactions: DSF140