how to get more involved in the gay community?

D_jtcri76tr

Just Browsing
Media
Hey everyone! I seem to be hitting a brick wall in my town about the gay community. My town is pretty small and I tried researching into groups on meetup.com or looking for gay bars or clubs online (there are none nearby) and its getting to be really frustrating.

I just moved back from college (where the gay community was fairly bustling) and its tough because now I'm feeling like I'm the only gay out there.

What did you all do to cope/what should I do? I need suggestions to work off of. thanks so much for your help!

Dave NoCal

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
In a small community, often people form informal social networks that aren't advertised. Taking a roundabout approach such as accessing gay-friendly social systems might work . For example, if you have any interest in theatre, volunteering in community theatre has a reasonably high probability getting you in contact with some gay folk.
The bigger issue is that being gay and single in a small town can be pretty lonely. Are you considering moving to an at least medium sized city? I would.
Dave

Bbucko

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Isolation is the biggest reason why I'd never consider living anywhere but a city.

Dave's advice above, especially the part about regional/local theater, would be a great place to start.

Bockwurst

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Why don't you seek out friends in your small town regardless whether or not they are gay?

I mean there must be a few cool straight people out there...somewhere... lol.

If you're looking for a boyfriend in a small town you may be out of luck...check the gay dating sites on the web.

pwrdick

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
I lived in West Chester and then in Kennett Square for about 6 years, moving away in 1995. There was a long-standing pot luck Brunch gathering monthly held at various hosts homes and it was a super way to meet people. My contacts there have dulled so I googled to find it and here is one result that should give you a start:

West Chester - gay friendly? (Phoenixville, Republic: to live, dangerous, suburban) - Pennsylvania (PA) - Page 2 - City-Data Forum

This was an exceptional way to meet a LOT of people, all types, ages, backgrounds. Hope it works out for you.

D

deleted3782

I once lived near West Chester...you would think Gay Street would have some kind of scene! What about any groups associated with the college? If you are like me and don't connect well with the theater crowd...there's always the internet. But the 'net has been much more focused on hook-ups rather than meeting the general community. If you could start a small group of two or three guys that met up on Friday nights...and slowly expanded that to a bigger group...that could be a way to connect in a small-town setting. Maybe a movie night or a foodie night? Aside from that...you might need to make the drive to Philly...or even further to DC or NYC. Ugh. I know how ya feel.

flame boy

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
You could always set up a monthly support group or meet up, a lot of smaller communities will find that by having the monthly meet up to have a chat about your life and the things going on it's a great way so build up friendships. Someone brings some drinks, another person some nibbles and you all provide something to the evening. I am sure there would be a local community centre or coffee shop which would host your venue. Over time you could switch the location to each others houses. Put the word out online by using free websites such as craigslist and perhaps a free ad in your local paper, get people to e-mail you if they are interested - then you will be able to gauge interest levels. You could even start a free online chat group or forum to advertise, so people searching online will find you.

I am sure you are far from the only gay person in your area who wishes they could meet other likeminded people - perhaps try taking a bit of a leap and give the above a go, you have nothing to lose!