How to get nice abs?

mindstar

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
i am going to dispute what lex says
to get your abs to show your body fat needs to drop to about 10% - 7% bf is about what competitive bodybuilders are at (I think we may also run different figures as it may depend on how bf is measured) - your body does still need a certain level of fat to function normally... i so need to get my act together and get my diet and my exercise regime sorted.

rob_just_rob

Sexy Member
Media
I don't have great abs, but I do get some positive feedback on them.

A long time ago I decided that I could either eat right, or exercise. I chose exercise. So I can't help you with diet.

In terms of exercise... getting body fat down helps a lot. Cardio 3-4 days a week, 30 mins minimum is what works for me. Specific to abs - I do a lot of ab biking, russian twists, various types of crunches, again 4 days a week or so. Long enough on each exercise to get winded.

One thing I learned from a PT was to try to pull my abs in while doing each exercise - like I was trying to pull my navel back to my spine. That goes a long way towards getting a flatter stomach (and not just a muscular one) I am told.

B_Spladle

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Lex said:
Your abs showing are simply a function of low body fat. Everyone has abs, its just that few of us get to see them. To really see them, body fat needs to be down around 3-8% which is not incredibly healthy.

http://www.menshealth.com/ for more (among thousands of other sites)
The exact numbers are debatable, and I don't really think it's unhealthy to keep your body fat very low, but basically what Lex says is accurate. Bolded words are truth.

naughty

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
HS,

While you are checking out the "Mens health" site, look up the Abs diet. It will give you tips on food and exercise. I am trying the abs diet for women and doing weight watchers online in tandem it better work! LOL!

Mumzi

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Albs are just well developed muscle. My husband and I eat little sugar and few carbs,however we don't diet or eat like the atkins diet. Just foods that are healthy.
I use his weight bench, but I don't do as much as he does. He does specific exercises to target his stomach, legs, pecs and arms. Back also,exercising just helps you to feel stronger.
I does not take much time. It takes longer to aerobic exercises.

He does his weights 5 days a week, and it takes him <20 min. Really, I would not go nuts with diets. I would choose exercise first. Even a pair of barbells could be used efficiently.

baseball99

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Mumzi said:
Albs are just well developed muscle. My husband and I eat little sugar and few carbs,however we don't diet or eat like the atkins diet. Just foods that are healthy.
I use his weight bench, but I don't do as much as he does. He does specific exercises to target his stomach, legs, pecs and arms. Back also,exercising just helps you to feel stronger.
I does not take much time. It takes longer to aerobic exercises.

He does his weights 5 days a week, and it takes him <20 min. Really, I would not go nuts with diets. I would choose exercise first. Even a pair of barbells could be used efficiently.

I think what you're trying to say and correct me if im wrong mumzi, its lifestyle. Diet is such a bad term, its connotated with losing weight, when in actuality everyone is on a "diet", its what you consume in a day. Dieting to lose weight is horribly ineffective in itself if its not coupled with exercise and healthy eating habits. With all that being said your abs will start to show around 10% body fat IF you dont happen to be a person who stores a lot of fat in their abdomen, which most guys do. You need to drop the body fat and tone the muscles with exercise, both aerobic and resistance. I hate when people say all you need to do is lose weight to get your abs to show.....thats true but they'll be small and wont look good until you work them out

davidjh7

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
1) Be born with terrific abs and metabolism and body, and have them with no work.
2) Work your butt off, diet, excercise, etc., to get the level of abdominal developement you desire.
3) Wear a silicone rubber based facimile.
I think that pretty much covers the available avenues of success...

naughty

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Though they are called diets,I think a "diet realignment" is probably more the case. They stress correct portion size, healthy foods, and exercise. Novel concepts but considering the number of Americans who are over weight still in need of being addressed.... It is true that genetics have a part to play in where one deposits fat but we can still strive to be our personal best....

D_Herin_Ghan

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Although I don't have a before & after shot and this one ain't that great, these are my abs now..

http://i6.tinypic.com/23kc4zd.jpg

What I did in the beginning was run for 20-30 minutes 6 days a week, and do ab work (hardcore workout 1 1/2 hours) two to three times a week. You need to give your abs time to recover. Just like any muscle, you can't work out abs every day of the week, or you'll get zero definition because the tissue won't have time to repair.

I changed my diet (though recently I've been eating not too well, I need to start eating well again), took Ripped Fuel for accelerated fat loss, and took whey protein to help build muscle. You gotta be committed for the long haul, or it won't happen.

MusclePrinceXXX

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Abs for me are the most difficult muscle group to work. Not only do you have to exercise and workout a lot, but you also have to watch what you eat.

I will agree with Lex that everybody has abs. It doesn't matter who you are, you have abs! Even a 900 pound lardy who can't get out of his house, has abs. But it's all the layers of fat on our bodies that prevent us from seeing them.

Most people will disagree with me on this but I've found that a low carb diet works the best when trying to get abs. I've been on the Atkins diet since January 2006 and I feel great and because of it, I've lost a few inches off my waist. There has never been a time when I could say that a low fat diet has helped me get great abs. On the contrary, all I did was make me gain more weight that I didn't need.

The only thing that works for me to maintain my abs are consuming more protein (in the form of meat, eggs, soy products and whey), working out, and doing some kind of aerobic exercise. I own a BowFlex and workout six times a week on it. Not only that, I also do pilates every day. With my BowFlex, I build muscle while the pilates tone the muscle that I build. Then a few times a week, I'll either 1) go speed walking or 2) go on my exercise bike just for the extra exercise and calorie burn.

As for my diet, I usually restrict my carb intake to no more than 30-40 carbs a day. I also consume NO white flour products and absolutely NO sugar whatsoever. On the weekends however, I'll take in more carbs but the carbs that I eat on the weekends are usually fiber-rich complex carbs or carbs that are low on the glycemic index.

I'm sure that there are other ways of getting great abs but this has been the only method that has worked for me.

Lex

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
hungschlong said:
Thanks Everyone.

I am starting a "Lifestyle change" today.
The doctor wasn't to happy with me today :(
Yay for high cholesterol at 23!
Hungschlong--my Cholesterol was high too.

I was about to get it down 10 points in under a year through eating habits (diet) and regular exercise.

You gotta give up some stuff and once your body gets used to eating healthier, bad food won't taste as good to you anymore.

I got tired of eating organic yogurt and spinach salad with chicken or tunea Monday-Friday but it was well worth not having to take meds.

B_Hung Muscle

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Digital has it right on.

I would only add that my abs really pop when I am doing more yoga. I also restrict my ab work to the "8 Minute Ab" tape. I know it's cheesy but it gives me the results I want -- and forces me to get on the floor and get the job done.

Mumzi

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
baseball99 said:
I think what you're trying to say and correct me if im wrong mumzi, its lifestyle. Diet is such a bad term, its connotated with losing weight, when in actuality everyone is on a "diet", its what you consume in a day. Dieting to lose weight is horribly ineffective in itself if its not coupled with exercise and healthy eating habits. With all that being said your abs will start to show around 10% body fat IF you dont happen to be a person who stores a lot of fat in their abdomen, which most guys do. You need to drop the body fat and tone the muscles with exercise, both aerobic and resistance. I hate when people say all you need to do is lose weight to get your abs to show.....thats true but they'll be small and wont look good until you work them out

That's exactly it. In time your taste buds change and you won't crave the super sweet things. I could not eat candy now, it's just too sweet. But we do bake things that are sweet, they are just less sweet and have some nutrition.
At some point in our life we're all gonna realize-hey, I need to take care of this body because there's no buying a new one.

Exercise is not just vanity, it helps you to feel stronger. My husband does feel exercise helps with sex; he has the stamina that some men don't have. I know I can't complain!

fkaKyuhaku

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
1.) put down the fork.
2.) run every day or every other day.
3.) crunches, leg lifts, sit ups.

not like i have great abs though.

D_Martin van Burden

Account Disabled
Media
JUst make sure to balance your exercise routine with something fun -- and no, I don't mean chowing down on a pint of ice cream as a reward.

I do my crunches and v-situps and such, but for any additional cardio, I try to do more enjoyable activities like dancing, hiking, and volleyball. And literally, regarding dancing, that involves me blasting the music as loud as I can in my apartment and boppin' around to several songs. This time of year, check your local city and town directories for outdoor events that might get you moving. Lexington offers the Midsummer Night's Run, for instance.

flashback

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
everyone has a six pack

it's just a matter of trimming off the layer of fat covering them up..