How to keep from becoming HIV+?

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Why is it that people have become so complacent about HIV? It just boggles my mind. I guess that being the age I am and coming up as the virus was discovered has made me more appreciative of the real risk out there. It seems that the twenty-somethings and younger are more blasé about safer sex. I just don't get it, and I don't want to.
You hit the nail on the head! Most but not all of the young people today have not lost a loved one to AIDS. They weren't shocked by the skeletal pictures of Rock Hudson or Liberace (Gosh I loved them so and miss them terribly) in their last days. They didn't have the fear of God put into them by watching, friends, family, entertainers, or mere acquaintances die tortured horrible deaths. To them HIV is not a death sentence like it was in the 80's. I dare say it's no more annoying than Herpes.
That being said, use a condom for insertive and receptive anal sex. If you choose to fist or use your fingers, latex gloves are ideal if you have any doubts about the integrity of the skin on your hands. Get tested regularly (like every 6 months) if you are sexually active. Make sure to get tested for the entire battery of STDs like the various forms of Hepatitis, Syphilis, Chlamydia, Gonorhea, Human Papilloma Viruses, Herpes, etc. and not just HIV because having one STD is a risk factor for acquiring others and HIV.

Just know that all human activities involve risk. Educate yourself on the facts for HIV and other STDs. Sex can be hot and relatively safe if you are diligent and consistent in using condoms.

Well said, Simcha! :smile:

Bbucko

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Just to clarify:

HIV is not passed by cuts on the skin. Ungloved fisting is not a risk activity for HIV. And condoms, used correctly, are as close to 100% protection against HIV as you can get.

There are many other STDs that can be passed even when using condoms, that's completely factual. But you can get mono from just kissing. And ungloved fisting presents a real risk for Hep C which is no joke. There are treatments for it, but no cure.

Reasonable adults can weigh their own risks against their pleasures with education and reach their own conclusions. Anything else is naive or irresponsible or both.

The OP in this thread is specifically looking for information regarding HIV. To reiterate the simplest and most correct message:

Use condoms for anal and/or vaginal intercourse with lots of water-soluble lube and you will be fine.

Industrialsize

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
AND remember.........just because a guy tells you he's HIV neg, doesn't mean it's true......I always act as if all my sexual partners are HIV pos and I never have any behavior I have to modify......If it's going up my ass, It's wrapped in latex, PERIOD, end of sentence.....

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
HIV is not passed by cuts on the skin. Ungloved fisting is not a risk activity for HIV. And condoms, used correctly, are as close to 100% protection against HIV as you can get.
<...>
The OP in this thread is specifically looking for information regarding HIV. To reiterate the simplest and most correct message:

Use condoms for anal and/or vaginal intercourse with lots of water-soluble lube and you will be fine.
:biggrin1: I prefer to err on the side of caution... I wrap up for lots of activities, not just anal. We keep a variety of protections available in our dungeon, including (but not limited to) condoms and gloves.

AND remember.........just because a guy tells you he's HIV neg, doesn't mean it's true......I always act as if all my sexual partners are HIV pos and I never have any behavior I have to modify......If it's going up my ass, It's wrapped in latex, PERIOD, end of sentence.....
Also good advice, Industrialsize. I have a huge amount of respect for Bbucko. He's honest. Many are not.

(Off-topic, but the "if-it-goes-up-the-ass, it's wrapped" concept should go for toys, too... less for disease prevention, and more for chemicals used in manufacturing the toys...)

Bbucko

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight

There is no such thing as serosorting for negatives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbucko

<...>

:biggrin1: I prefer to err on the side of caution... I wrap up for lots of activities, not just anal. We keep a variety of protections available in our dungeon, including (but not limited to) condoms and gloves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Industrialsize

Also good advice, Industrialsize. I have a huge amount of respect for Bbucko. He's honest. Many are not.

(Off-topic, but the "if-it-goes-up-the-ass, it's wrapped" concept should go for toys, too... less for disease prevention, and more for chemicals used in manufacturing the toys...)

Thanks, DC. Frankly, I don't blame your caution. If I had a chance to try it again, I think I'd probably be the same way.

Several loads in the diswasher's top rack is a great way to clean toys too, but those chemical fumes are there forever.

Again, I REALLY do appreciate the support.

FuzzyKen

Expert Member
Media
I have been in a monogamous relationship for nearly ten years, and I know many others who share this viewpoint. We are not rare at all, what happens is that when we pair up we disappear from the "nightlife". This however is an individual choice for any person and one's orientation does not have anything to do with it.

Transmission of HIV is done simply by body fluids. Many can in the most unusual circumstances do it, but blood transmission is the one that really is most likely to get you. Tearing of the lining of the anal canal during intercourse is the usual cause.

In this day and age you have several problems. When you meet an individual and are considering having sex with that person consider the conditions under which you meet as part of your evaluation process. If you are meeting an individual who is at the time in any manner intoxicated or not with their full "faculties" you might not get a truthful answer simply because the individual is too "blotto" to be able to be honest. There are also a percentage of individuals who simply do not care.

As Bucko has said there are many men out there who are now living productive and sometimes actually healthy lives who have been HIV sero-positive for decades.

To me these days there is not only HIV but many other things that are just as bad. There are several varieties of Hepatitis that are really nasty. In addition you also have many very common VD's that have become incredibly resistant to all treatments.

Use common sense at all times and if you are EVER going to do something of risk, make very certain that it is with an individual that you CAN trust with your life because this IS exactly what you ARE doing.

If I were going to personally plow some individual even though I know for a fact I am sero-negative I would wear a condom anyway. This way there simply would be no doubt that if that individual did get something that it was NOT from me.

If I found that person attractive enough to want to bed them, I would also care enough about them to want them protected too.

Fuzzy Ken

Proppie

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
1. I wear a condom every single time.
2. I require that my partner wear a condom every single time.
3. I ask the following questions:
a. have you been tested for HIV?
b. what were the results of your HIV test?

steeler_999

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
[This is utter bullshit.

If monogamy is the most important part of a relationship for you, then wait until you find someone who agrees with your opinion on the subject.]

It's not utter bullshit that there are very few gay or bi men interested in having sex on a monogamous basis. And it's not utter bullshit that there are men who will say they are being monogamous when in fact they aren't. Having unsafe sex always involves some degree of risk.