How to make a bad situation even worse

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by madame_zora, Sep 18, 2005.

1. madame_zora

Gold Member

Just when I think bush is at his lowest, he finds a way to be worse. There's just no end to this guy's greed, it makes me want to puke. Read this and join me:

http://www.alternet.org/katrina/25514/

Please don't give me any crap about the source, the truth is the truth nomatter who prints it. Unfortunately, there are too few who care after as badly as our country has been ravaged, but we'll awake to a far worse situation than we have now in 2008.

2. Dr. Dilznick

Gold Member

Of course these same firms got the contracts; that is what they do and they are damn good at it too. People are so motherfucking lame when it comes to this Haliburton shit.

Again :thumbsup: to the free market running like clockwork.

3. Dr Rock

Gold Member

who lives in the east 'neath the willow tree? Sex
    um, the market is not "free" when politicians hand it over to previously failed corporations for monopolizing.

4. Dr. Dilznick

Gold Member

And I thought I was laying it on thick.

5. Geekyraccoon

Geekyraccoon New Member

[post=344405]Quoted post[/post]​
    [/b][/quote]

... I hate capitalism...

:banghead:

6. KinkGuy

Gold Member

"They" certainly seemed aware of enough about the situation to know that the oil supply and the funding of their personal wealth were at stake.

"They" had awarded contracts to Halliburton to rebuild the oil platforms and refineries before the shrub cartel had even realized they had a PR nightmare on their hands and that they had better get our fearless leader down there for photo ops and that bull horn moment.

"They" just forgot one little tiny element...the 250,000 drowning, dying, forsaken, abandoned, ignored, chastised, blamed, starved and held prisoner, dead and murdered victims of the same little storm that affected their bank accounts and their New York shopping trips and vacations to Texas and Wyoming and fund raising trips to Arizona and California.

"Free market"............hardly
    "Capitalisim".......ha ha ha ha ha ha. It only works with competition.

7. KinkGuy

Gold Member

Reuters
    Friday, September 16, 2005; 3:17 PM
    Â…Halliburton Co.'s subsidiary Kellogg Brown and Root has already been given a $500mil contract to rebuild Navy bases along the Katrina battered Gulf Coast.

By Renae Merle
    Washington Post Staff Writer
    Friday, September 16, 2005

DEFERRED SALARY: Cheney received $205,298 in deferred salary from Halliburton in 2001, $162,392 from the company in 2002 and $178,437 in 2003. Sen. Frank Lautenberg (D-NJ) said, "Deferred salary is not a retirement benefit or a payment from a third party escrow account, but rather an ongoing corporate obligation paid from company funds."

STOCK OPTIONS: The Vice President has signed an agreement to donate any profits from his stock options to charity, and has pledged not to take any tax deduction for the donations. Should Halliburton's stock price increase over the next few years, the Vice President could exercise his stock options for a substantial profit, benefiting not only his designated charities, but also providing Halliburton with a substantial tax deduction.

Halliburton Stock Options Currently Held by Cheney (current to end of 2002): 100,000 shares at $54.5000 (vested), expire 12-03-07; 33,333 shares at $28.1250 (vested), expire 12-02-08; 300,000 shares at $39.5000 (vested), expire 12-02-09.

Cheney's deferred compensation and stock option benefits are in addition to a $20 million retirement package paid to him by Halliburton after only five years of employment; a $1.4 million cash bonus paid to him by Halliburton in 2001; and additional millions of dollars in compensation paid to him while he was employed by the company.

In 2002, Cheney's total assets were valued at between $19.1 million and $86.4 million.

WASHINGTON (Reuters)[/I]
    -- Companies with ties to the Bush White House and the former head of FEMA are clinching some of the administration's first disaster relief and reconstruction contracts in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina.
    At least two major corporate clients of lobbyist Joe Allbaugh, President Bush's former campaign manager and a former head of the Federal Emergency Management Agency, have already been tapped to start recovery work along the battered Gulf Coast.
    One is Shaw Group Inc. and the other is Halliburton Co. subsidiary Kellogg Brown and Root. Vice President Dick Cheney is a former head of Halliburton.
    Bechtel National Inc., a unit of San Francisco-based Bechtel Corp., has also been selected by FEMA to provide short-term housing for people displaced by the hurricane. Bush named Bechtel's CEO to his Export Council and put the former CEO of Bechtel Energy in charge of the Overseas Private Investment Corporation.

Monday, June 25, 2001
    UNITED NATIONS, June 23 (UPI)
    -- Halliburton Co., the oil company that was headed by Vice President Dick Cheney, signed contracts with Iraq worth $73 million through two subsidiaries while he was at its helm, the Washington Post reported.
    During last year's presidential campaign, Cheney said Halliburton did business with Libya and Iran through foreign subsidiaries, but maintained he had imposed a "firm policy" against trading with Iraq.
    In a July 30, 2000, interview on ABC-TV's "This Week," Cheney denied that Halliburton or its subsidiaries traded with Baghdad. Three weeks later, on the same program, he modified his response after being informed that a Halliburton spokesman had said that Dresser Rand and Ingersoll Dresser Pump traded with Iraq.

Cheney said he did not know the subsidiaries were doing business with the Iraqi regime.

8. jay_too

jay_too New Member

People..

It is soooo much better for Halliburton, Fluor, Bechtel....whomever to pay construction workers $7/hr plus benefits (so maybe a total of $9/hr) than to pay them $12/hr plus bennies. Why? Well, if the contract is for time and materials [which the current ones are], our politically connected contractor is probably charging the government $65/hr for each worker. The gross margin per employee per hour would be either $56 or $53.

Not a big difference until you consider that in a year a Katrina contractor might log a million contract hours. The difference would be $3,000,000. Surely, this is a small price to pay for embracing Republican ideals like "Greed is good." and "The poor are so appreciative [ala Barbara Bush]."

jay

9. Dr Rock

Gold Member

who lives in the east 'neath the willow tree? Sex
    [post=344405]Quoted post[/post]​
    [/b][/quote]
    :icon_redface: obviously too thick for my hangover.

10. madame_zora

Gold Member

Yeah, well Democrats support blow jobs!

Draft saved Draft deleted