How to Propose

OhCanada

1st Like
Media
Been dating my GF for a while now and i am finally feeling ready to take the big flying leap. Actually I am very excited about it!. However, I read that 80% of people (girls) wish thier proposal was more romantic. I figure "I only plan to do this once" so I will do anything I think will make all her romantic fantasies a reality here. I have a few ideas but I am looking for proposal ideas or stories (good or bad). Also any reaction from the females in the group about what they liked or would want would be appreciated! Thanks all in advance.

ashlar

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
What are her hobbies, what sort of things does she enjoy, and where are her favorite places. Look through her collection of girly romantic movies, and watch every single one of them ... TWICE!

Heavy

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Originally posted by ashlar@Jun 18 2005, 06:26 AM
What are her hobbies, what sort of things does she enjoy, and where are her favorite places. Look through her collection of girly romantic movies, and watch every single one of them ... TWICE!
[post=321765]Quoted post[/post]​

Hey OhCananda I think ashlars moving in on your woman.

ashlar

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Originally posted by Heavy+Jun 18 2005, 03:09 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Heavy &#064; Jun 18 2005, 03:09 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-ashlar@Jun 18 2005, 06:26 AM
What are her hobbies, what sort of things does she enjoy, and where are her favorite places. Look through her collection of girly romantic movies, and watch every single one of them ... TWICE&#33;
[post=321765]Quoted post[/post]​

Hey OhCananda I think ashlars moving in on your woman.
[post=321785]Quoted post[/post]​
[/b][/quote]

Only if it would get me closer to OhCanada&#39;s penis.
Mind you, I fancy dick.

AND YOUR DANCIN BANANA&#33;&#33;&#33;

GIMMIE&#33;&#33;&#33;

*steals Heavy&#39;s banana and makes it his tiki god*

Lex

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
For my own proposal, I chose a scenic place that had been under construction (so she had never seen it) that had a great view of the city, etc. When we got there--I just asked.

I think simple and unexpected is best.

Steve26

1st LPSG Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Congrats, OhCanada ... very exciting news for you&#33;&#33; :)

I agree that unexpected is good. When I think back on how I proposed to my wife, one of the things I am proudest of/happiest about is that not only she but almost *everyone* else among our families and friends was taken by surprise (except one suspicious friend who thought it odd that we would visit Nantucket in the dead of winter). So I would say that if you&#39;re at all able to keep a secret -- do it.

I&#39;d definitely agree with what Lex said too ... try to pick a special/romantic/unusual setting. Our winter getaway made it extra-meaningful for us, and gives us a place we can always go back to relive that happy time in our lives. We bought this perfect poster while there: A painting of abstract "bride and groom" whales (sounds weird, but it&#39;s cute) with the words "Happiness Is Nantucket." It&#39;s now framed and hanging in our living room and brings back great memories.

Pay attention to as many little touches as you can. In my case, this included things like arranging for an extra-nice room with a fireplace and canopy bed, finding a really romantic place for dinner, and requesting in advance that champagne and flowers be delivered to the room. I let the innkeepers (but nobody else ;)) know in advance that an engagement was in the offing, and being familiar with the island, they gave me TONS of helpful little tips.

That said, don&#39;t try to script the actual proposal too carefully -- nothing ever goes exactly according to plan. In some ways, my proposal was a comedy of errors, but I rolled with the punches and now have an amusing story to tell people: It was a gusty, snowy evening on the deserted main street in Nantucket village, with holiday lights and festive storefronts all around us. We were walking back from dinner and I stopped to say I had another holiday gift (it was Dec. 26). I pulled out a wrapped box that ANY woman should&#39;ve recognized by size and shape, but she didn&#39;t want to open it there because she was afraid the contents (a sapphire/diamond/platinum ring that I had selected on my own) would blow away. So we walked the several blocks back to our inn, with me dying of anxiety the whole way, walk in the room and find an ice bucket with the champagne I had requested earlier (assuming we&#39;d be engaged before returning). For her, still no spark of anything amiss. Finally after she took what felt like FOREVER getting off her coat, gloves, hat, scarf, etc., she sat on the bed with me and opened the box and said yes (PHEW, as we had never actually discussed marriage before -- although I was pretty confident of a positive response&#33;) :D

Good luck, buddy ... it&#39;s one of the most exciting, memorable and meaningful moments of your life ... good for you, thinking of how to make it as special as you possibly can&#33;

Steve :)

BuffMusicIdol

Just Browsing
Media
I wrote her a song. She dug it. I gave her a &#036;10 fake diamond ring and a dozen white roses and she didn&#39;t say a word but, "yes&#33;" The next day I presented her with a dozen red roses and told her a story about a princess whose father gave her a ring. She thought it was the best thing ever. Her father died, and she was on her own. All she had was the ring. Later, the right guy shows up and asks for her ring. She doesn&#39;t give it for a long time, but finally after trust is built, she gives it to him and he gives her the most fabulous ring in the kingdom. That&#39;s when I gave my wife her real ring, but only after she gave the fake one back to me. The ring is in one of those ceramic lemoge boxes, in the curio cabinet as a reminder. The story is more involved, but it&#39;s unique to us.

She dug it way much, and told her folks, family, kids (both second marriages for us) and it seemed to be a hit. The story has gone around family and friends a lot.

Just do what is most natural and romantic to you. That&#39;s what I did. I have no regrets.

Good luck&#33; Hope all goes well&#33;

tillyrox

Experimental Member
Media
First of all Congratulations

If i was to ever be proposed to i would want it to be the most romantic thing in the world, it would have to be something that we both shared an interest in, and yeah i like the unexpected aspect, the surprise, but believe me most girls have an incling that its coming when you plan a very romantic night, (well most hope for it when their partner has a romantic night planned). So anyway as long as its romantic and special to both of you then im sure it will be fine. GOOD LUCK

Pene_Negro_Grande

Experimental Member
Media
Yeah congrats...Definitely a beautiful thing...Most of my friends who have taken that plunge did the romantic thing like taking a great vaction like Carribean, Mexico, Hawaii and propose then and I actually like when one of my friends too his girlfriend to a very nice restaurant and had the engagement ring put into a chocolate box like dessert so when she put the fork in she hit the ring and was shocked...The last friend that proposed took his girlfriend to Vegas and has a private area in Rain set up and popped the question...

Steve26

1st LPSG Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
I personally would not want the gawking onlookers that would come with proposing in a restaurant. It&#39;s always depicted very favorably in movies, TV, etc. -- everyone applauds and cheers when she says yes -- but somehow I think it would be odd IRL to propose in front of a bunch of strangers. They&#39;re all gonna recognize what&#39;s happening and be staring, and I think then I&#39;d feel like the moment was more a performance (hello, "performance anxiety"), and not really "ours." But to each his own ... I&#39;m sure some people would enjoy having it be something of a spectacle.

Steve

OhCanada

1st Like
Media
Awesome guys, I really appreciate the stories and advice&#33; I&#39;m really stoked about the prospect of this. I think I have decided to sort of do a combination of a few ways at once. First, the romanitc diner in downtown vancouver, then (and I dont know how yet) get her down to this great spot by the beach after I am already there with me in my nice suit with my quitar. I have been learning the acoustic version of Yellowcards song Only One. I have changed a few of the words, instead of "Broken this fragile thing now" to "Perfect this fragile thing now" and a few other small changes. I know she will cry pretty quick, so I will make is a short version. Then I plan to propose there&#33; i guess then I am at her mercy from there&#33; Still not sure exactly when I will do it, maybe in august but I have to figure out a few of the finals first&#33; Again I really appreciate the input, super helpful. I will let all know how she goes&#33; :D

citygirl

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Originally posted by OhCanada@Jun 24 2005, 02:58 AM
Awesome guys, I really appreciate the stories and advice&#33; I&#39;m really stoked about the prospect of this. I think I have decided to sort of do a combination of a few ways at once. First, the romanitc diner in downtown vancouver, then (and I dont know how yet) get her down to this great spot by the beach after I am already there with me in my nice suit with my quitar. I have been learning the acoustic version of Yellowcards song Only One. I have changed a few of the words, instead of "Broken this fragile thing now" to "Perfect this fragile thing now" and a few other small changes. I know she will cry pretty quick, so I will make is a short version. Then I plan to propose there&#33; i guess then I am at her mercy from there&#33; Still not sure exactly when I will do it, maybe in august but I have to figure out a few of the finals first&#33; Again I really appreciate the input, super helpful. I will let all know how she goes&#33; :D
[post=323690]Quoted post[/post]​

OhCanada,
Your plan sounds great and it looks like you have a very romantic evening planned. I don&#39;t know the song you will sing but I&#39;m sure she will absolutely love it, women have a soft spot for guys who can sing&#33; I feel for guys, proposing is such a stressful event. I don&#39;t think I could pull it off. Remember to make the evening about her only and be attentive to her. Remain confident but don&#39;t be afraid to show your soft side&#33;

I&#39;ll describe how my boyfriend proposed a few months ago, he caught me completely off guard:

On that special day he told me he wanted to take me out to dinner. After he picked me up he took me to the Starbucks where I first met him for our first date 3 years ago. The place was completely empty and partially dark, I thought it was closed. When he opened the door, there was a path of rose petals leading to a single table in the middle of the store. On the table were some candles and roses. He took my hand and led me to the table and sat me down. A Starbucks employee came by and placed a mug of latte and a biscotti in front of me (my favorites). My eyes were wide open and I was in complete shock, but so far I did not even suspect anything. My bf then reached across the table and held my hand, looked deep into my eyes and proceeded to recite a poem he wrote about us. When he was done, he explained that each sentence in the poem began with a letter, and those letters were supposed to spell something. I said I can&#39;t remember each line, at which point he told me to turn around. A Starbucks employee unveiled a posterboard that had the entire poem on it. The first letter in each sentence was in red and highlighted, and when read from top down spelled out "Will You Marry Me?" I looked back at him and he was on one knee with a ring in his outstretched hand. He proposed and I paused, still in shock before screaming out a joyful and tearful "YES"&#33; He then took me to our favorite restaurant where he had reserved an entire section so we could have some privacy. There was a band that played music for us all night. Afterwards we went for a romantic stroll at our favorite beach. By this time I thought there couldn&#39;t be any more surprises. When we got back in his car he started to drive towards the airport, I told him he was going the wrong way. He said no, he was taking me to Hawaii. He apparently had my roommate pack a bag for me (which was in the trunk) and she had also spoke with my boss to have me take the next few days off for the trip&#33; Anyway I&#39;ll leave it at that, I don&#39;t want to bore you guys&#33; ;)

My point here is that my boyfriend put in alot of time and effort to make this night special and it worked out perfectly, I will never forget that night. In addition, my boyfriend is a very masculine type of guy. He was in the Navy for several years and he always projects a confident guy attitude. But with me he has his soft spots and several times during the night he had tears in his eyes. And to think that I didn&#39;t really like him when a mutual friend introduced us 3 yrs ago&#33;

Good luck OhCanada and let us know how it turns out&#33;&#33;&#33;